94 E150 118k

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamarr

Reaction score
Aw man. I think I found my project. Jayco camper that the current owner has already taken care of the flooring in. Insulation and linoleum on floor. Storage boxes in back and memory foam. I'd love to have solar installed but it's ready to roll as is. Runs great. Does anyone know of any problems that might sneak in on a newbie?

If it has any windows check the seals for leaks, also any roof vents or openings.

The only thing I noticed was that most of the door latches were broken.... Cooked plastic I'd guess. Window seals looked great. Fan was a recent install and looked solid.

Did they mention why they are selling it after doing all the recent work on it?

Wabbit said:
Did they mention why they are selling it after doing all the recent work on it?

He wants to go to a small RV. I got the feeling that the old carpet needed to come out. He did have some pics of the bare metal floor. He used it for music festivals. I would think that would be death to carpet!

I have a carpet runner in my rolling steel tent and that has convinced me to do a floor with no carpet if I ever get another van. A carpet that could be shook out easy would still be ok with me, but the one I have is a sand\dirt magnet!

Well that was fun. I just got the "somebody offered me more" text message. The search continues!

don't get discouraged stuff like that happens a lot when you are looking. I am looking at a vehicle right now and they won't call me back. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
don't get discouraged stuff like that happens a lot when you are looking.  I am looking at a vehicle right now and they won't call me back.   highdesertranger

Apparently the other guy was a flake! I can't wait to hear the whole story. This one is coming to live with me!

One flaw I've found is that it leaks gas when full. I'd bet it's the neck valve issue. Nothing scary so far. It has a crazy curve to the hightop but I'm hoping for solar and a 2nd deep cycle battery. I'm looking forward to having the option to van camp and travel and then unpack the backpacking gear.

Thanks for the report, enjoy getting "spoiled"!

Flush that transmission.
If it is a three speed, it's a C6 and even though you still need to flush it, but it will likely live for a very long time.
If it is one of the OD units you REALLY need to flush the trans. It is right at the mileage when most spit their cookies.

about the gas leak when full. because of the new fangled anti-siphon stuff, gas thieves now pierce the rubber fill tube to insert their siphon hose or if you have a plastic tank they simply hand drill a hole in the bottom of the tank. I wonder if that's what happened to yours?

this is a perfect example of unintended consequences. now instead of the thieves just getting your gas they do damage and cost you much more in parts and labor. I would rather have the vehicle that's easy to siphon.

highdesertranger

I'll definitely check the fill tube. I assumed that a hole would show uo as an emissions code since the seal was broken.

JD GUMBEE said:
Flush that transmission.
If it is a three speed, it's a C6 and even though you still need to flush it, but it will likely live for a very long time.
If it is one of the OD units you REALLY need to flush the trans. It is right at the mileage when most spit their cookies.

My biggest fear by FAR! I just don't know where I packed my crystal ball! After having a Chevy just lose reverse from one shift to the next, it is always in the back of my mind.

Flush with synthetic will give it your best chance of long term service.
(Do not fall prey to the "let me go in there and adjust XXXX" pitch. With very few exceptions, by the time they "need band adjustment" they are toast and need a rebuild.)

Don't forget, it is not that hard to install a pedal and a manual trans from a pickup.
A used 5 speed and flywheel, clutch and driveshaft lengthen or shorten is a lot less than rebuilding an automatic.
The floor ends up looking funny...but the piece of mind is priceless.

JD GUMBEE said:
Hard to believe that would be a money saver but I'm here to learn!

Flush with synthetic will give it your best chance of long term service.
(Do not fall prey to the "let me go in there and adjust XXXX" pitch. With very few exceptions, by the time they "need band adjustment" they are toast and need a rebuild.)

Don't forget, it is not that hard to install a pedal and a manual trans from a pickup.
A used 5 speed and flywheel, clutch and driveshaft lengthen or shorten is a lot less than rebuilding an automatic.
The floor ends up looking funny...but the piece of mind is priceless.

Those were an average of 2700 to have redone if I remember right.

You can get the clutch/pressure plate/throwout/driveshaft with lower miles in the boneyard for $1200 or so.
Add a new clutch, one of the hydraulic through-floor pedals/slave setups from Jegs and a few hours with a sawzall on the dog house...then a bit of fiberglass work to make it air tight.
The latest one the shops did was a 4.6 V8 Ford E150 if I remember right and they said they did not even need to reflash the ECM. It just worked with one jumper for the reverse lights, one for the neutral safety and the speedo plugged right in.

It really is easier than people realize as long as the donor pickup is the right year/vintage for the van.
(Takes much of the guess work out of upcoming failures too. The great majority of manual trans failures/clutch failures give notice before they quit.)