Building The Upholstered Wall

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abnorm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first started planning my build of a Ford Transit I knew I wanted a permanent side-to-side bed....so I looked carefully at the WALLS

The area destined for the bed has no ribs (for easy installation of custom Windows I guess).......Even tho I planned a snowbird vehicle .....I knew I had to provide a Thermal Break from the cold van skin........But a solid wall was not "needed"........I started with wood "nailers" around and in the area......Then covered the wall with a layer or two of glued Polyiso

I covered the patchwork of foam with a continuous piece of spray-glued Reflectix...........later in the build I stapled a couple Southwest themed blankets to the wall.......stapled thru the blanket into the nailers.......stretch/staple.......repeat.....the reflectix even added a little "cush" to the wall

I did NOT take pictures of every step......here's what I've got

#bareinterior.jpg
A photo of a 2017 generic Ford Transit....not mine......Prior to purchasing MY van I spent DAYS sitting in the new models at my dealership......I indicated where I added Nailers........2x4 was just a rip cut from the board at an angle to fit the wall........wood nailers were attached together and Glued and Screwed to the steel wherever possible

insulatedbed.jpg
Here you see the already insulated wall during fitting......That plywood is the only "built-out" wall panel in the van...it will support a large cabinet and countertop/desk over storage and the litter box....as well as the electrical fuses and controller next to the bed....the large upright frig will sit  behind the drivers seat and attach to that panel

#insulatedwall.jpg
And this is the passenger side.....a little longer......closet/hooks will live here

#overallprogress.jpg
Soon other boxes are installed around the bed

#upholsteredcat.jpg#closethooksmuslin.jpg
And finally the blankets are stapled into place.......the closet was longer than the Blanket....I added some Muslin 
..........(I guess I need some new overall shots)

YMMV

Attachments

• insulatedbed.jpg
    insulatedbed.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 15
  • #bareinterior.jpg
    #bareinterior.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 12
  • #insulatedwall.jpg
    #insulatedwall.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 14
  • #overallprogress.jpg
    #overallprogress.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 23
  • #upholsteredcat.jpg
    #upholsteredcat.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 29
  • #closethooksmuslin.jpg
    #closethooksmuslin.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 24
I'm taking a look at your photos because I have a similar Transit... no build, just a floor with Thinsulate insulation on the ceiling and walls. I'm still pondering the build. My bed (a double decker cot) has been lengthwise but I've been thinking that when I build a bed in there maybe I'd like side-to-side. How is that working out for you?

I am a huge fan of using upholstery on the walls instead of wood panels. YOu rig looks great. Are those older pics or is this your current state of things?

Cats are so damn creepy. Took me a couple looks to realize he stalking me.

Good job you did there, Abnorm!  :thumbsup:

Upholstery works great, and it is cheap and easy to install.
I have automotive carpet glued on the insulation as well, after I made sure that the insulation will not slide off.
I think it adds a tiny bit of insulation too, because the heat bridges are not nearly as hot as they were when it was bare metal.

I like the blanket wall covering it looks great.
What I like about upholstery on walls is adding small pockets to hold small 'stuff'. Hubby likes his water bottle close by. I like my glasses and pepper spray close. Just in case I need to go out late...... Also my book and phone.

Thanks TA.........It still works Great...A year ago I remodeled the bed from a Twin to a Full......losing some storage but gaining a Wife !

Thanks HDR

Hi DesertSailing.........That was three years ago.....I'll add a current photo IF you quit picking on Smudge !

Thanks Sofi......Yes all glues are not equal......I have spots where the glue failed and needs Touching-Up

Thanks VanBrat....you're so right....our "headboad" has a large pocket that I lost in the Nuptials.....We just celebrated our First Anniversary......
..........NO BEAR SPRAY in the Bedroom !!!!!!!

The walls look awesome, and neutral colors so it is easy to look at.
-crofter

As promised ......I took more photos of the bed......stripped on Laundry day..........This is three year old upholstery............

#3yrfeet.jpg

The Foot end of the bed....the Fabric is a little "wonky" where MY feet press......notice the custom online mattress from Military Supply

#3yrhead.jpg

And the Head end of the bed with it's sewn storage pockets......We use a Cushion and pillows for a backrest against the wall.....Good Luck

Attachments

• #3yrfeet.jpg
    #3yrfeet.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 22
  • #3yrhead.jpg
    #3yrhead.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 22
Thank you for posting this.  It relieves some of my concerns about possibly/eventually transitioning to a cargo van.  Also, it reminds me of shag carpet on van walls back in the day--but much better!

Yes well my brother and I had a shag wagon in the early 70s. And we had our mother believing that it was called a shag wagon because it had shag carpet in it. Yes we were young men with our minds only on one thing. Not proud of it but it’s reality. You know the difference between men and government bonds - government bonds will Eventually mature God bless and forgive The Nomads Including me And my non nomad brother..

Me too a 1966 Ford with a 144 cubic inch 6 cylinder, sporty Dodge wheels, baby blue paint job and a three on the tree. Carried a bed and an 8” extended fork, “Captain America” style paint job chopper and a cooler. Got a lot of knocks by campus security at the several colleges and communes I boondocked at right after I got out of service in 1974.

Brothers from another Mother ?..................Enjoy the ride

SOFI.......I thought YOU was BANNED !......I don't reply to no Troublemakers.........(Wink-Wink) THANK-YOU !

After our shag wagon got junked We bought a 56 Buick special. Do you know the one with the Crome cones on the bumper? (Someone painted pink circles At the end of those cones. I don’t know why) I told you men never mature). So we took out the top of the backseat and built a plywood platform in between the Front end back seats, level with the seat. and a plywood sort of ramp from the back seat inTo the trunk and carpet from the back of the front seat to the end of the trunk. Then we had a Buick special van with baby moon hubcaps. It may have been fun but I Would never go back to those days. Thank God my four boys didn’t know what their uncle and I did.