79 E150 Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BradKW said:
Nice progress Paisley!

Something to think about with that bed design is that one of its advantages is the inherent under-mattress ventilation. Apparently mattresses can trap a good deal of body moisture when placed on a solid surface and cause mold...so maybe drill some holes in the plywood if you plan to cover it.

Good point but I should be more specific... this will be 95%+ desk.  I want space for the laptop, TV, crafty endeavors, etc. 
I have a bed over the cab (high top) that I plan to use.  This is more of a spare when traveling with friends of family.

Woo Hoo Paisley! Coming along! I see wonderful adventures ahead!

Door:

I have been getting a lot done lately.  Mostly from necessity as I am driving from  NM to CA Thursday!
So, I finally replaced the leaking, rusted out door.  It now looks funny, but the seal is much better.  Rain will tell I suppose. 
door.jpg

Solar:

I finally added my solar panels.  I still have to wire the van itself, but I have DC & an inverter.  I still need to change something on the monitor as it is showing me voltage, but not how much is going out.  Need to drop by the solar board and do some more reading.  (there are actually 2 panels).  I also flipped the ladder so I could have a step near the top in case I need to do something with the panels.
panel 1.jpg

Engine power issue:
As mentioned on another board...
I have long had an issue of not having much power up hills or getting up to highway speeds (~60)
I investigated and realized the reason was the hinged pedal & me being short meant I was only utilizing less than half of the full gas pedal movement available!  This is why when I moved my foot to the top, it would move into its passing gear and run smoothly.
pedal 1.jpgpedal 2.jpgpedal 3.jpg

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    438.2 KB
  • panel 1.jpg
    panel 1.jpg
    508.5 KB
  • pedal 2.jpg
    pedal 2.jpg
    599.9 KB
  • pedal 3.jpg
    pedal 3.jpg
    398.8 KB
  • pedal 1.jpg
    pedal 1.jpg
    583.4 KB
Paisley777 said:
I investigated and realized the reason was the hinged pedal & me being short meant I was only utilizing less than half of the full gas pedal movement available!  This is why when I moved my foot to the top, it would move into its passing gear and run smoothly.

Hopefully the "smoke" has an equally benign explanation... dirty window or smudged glasses?   :)

BradKW said:
Hopefully the "smoke" has an equally benign explanation... dirty window or smudged glasses?   :)

Not sure if this was part of it, but when I looked under the van I found that the power steering pump blew a seal.  I rebuilt that this week as well. 

Never want to do that again. :/

Oh, fun times!

As mentioned on another forum topic - I drove from NM to Sacramento, CA.  3 days travel.  First couple days no trouble then no wipers, no turn signals!  Turned out that a bad switch blew the signal fuse and the switch basically imploded when I went to check it. (old plastic)

The last day I also had some starting issues.  It took more cranking than normal.  At the Wally World in Sac I got the dreaded 'click.'  Tested the battery - good but drained.  They recharged it and with a jump she started.  So I figure alternator.  Got to the the place I'm house sitting for and found a broken alt wire. (also had the alternator tested while it was off) Fixed the eyelet and was good for ~10 days then... 'click.'  :/

So after checking/replacing cables, cleaning battery posts, and jumping the solenoid, all taking place over 3 days and after each time thinking I finally had it - got it diagnosed down to the starter motor.  I actually had to have someone come out the get that beast off.  When he talked to me on the phone I got the impression he thought this would be simple.  lol  Nope.  After much sweating and cursing from someone bigger and stronger than me, he got that replaced and she started right up!

Soon enough I'll have all the peripheral parts replaced whether I want to or not.

Attachments

• old starter cable.jpg
    old starter cable.jpg
    146.3 KB
  • old starter.jpg
    old starter.jpg
    208.1 KB
hey Paisley a little hint. if you are ever in Alaska along the coast never say "I blew a seal", everybody looks at you funny and people behind you start giggling. highdesertranger

I am very impressed with your build and progress! You're also inspiring me to want to go mechanical again.

highdesertranger said:
hey Paisley a little hint.  if you are ever in Alaska along the coast never say "I blew a seal",  everybody looks at you funny and people behind you start giggling.  highdesertranger

I'll keep that one in mind.
lol

:p

Many people mentioned not wanting to have a bed that they have to set up.  Well, I didn't listen ...at first.  While traveling to CA my bed was an over-the-cab type that I had to set up each night and put away otherwise I'd bump my head.  That got old quick.  

So, I made a platform bed for the back and turned the over cab area into storage.  Was able to find and 8in new foam mattress on Craigslist for only $40.  Much better.

I basically set it up in 3rds.  I can remove each section separately and have lesser used storage underneath. Also, I can remove the middle part and transport tall/long items if need be.  

Unfortunately I haven't any finished pics.

Attachments

• 20160930_101740.jpg
    20160930_101740.jpg
    1.8 MB
  • 20161016_103340.jpg
    20161016_103340.jpg
    1.4 MB
After having to run out in the middle of the night a few times because the horn engaged - I decided to do something about it. I found it was in the old wheel/horn so I decided to get a Grant kit & wheel. Putting that on today.

The Grants do no offer cruise control unfortunately. Any thought on here about adding that back in? My cruise isn't up and running but I hope to fix that this year and will have to cob job something for the wheel controls.