79 E150 Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and the floor...

Attachments

• IMG_1824.JPG
    IMG_1824.JPG
    172.1 KB
  • IMG_1827.JPG
    IMG_1827.JPG
    211.2 KB
  • IMG_1835.JPG
    IMG_1835.JPG
    189.1 KB
nice, what the red material that went in before the floor? that tank sure did need replacing, that sending unit is ugly. that tank must not have been used in a long time. good thing you replace everything, good job. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
nice,  what the red material that went in before the floor?  that tank sure did need replacing,  that sending unit is ugly.  that tank must not have been used in a long time.  good thing you replace everything,  good job.  highdesertranger

I read about this stuff on another forum.  I was looking for some sound deadening and something between the floor and the wood.  This seemed to fit the bill and my budget.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Roberts-...1-Underlayment-with-Microban-70-105/202299502

As someone outfitting my van for a future vacation I'm greatly enjoying your thread.  Love the progress so far.  Wonderful job on the floor.

nobodyG17 said:
As someone outfitting my van for a future vacation I'm greatly enjoying your thread.  Love the progress so far.  Wonderful job on the floor.

Thank you.  I am hoping to get to RTR next year.  <fingers crossed>

I just want is somewhat put together by then. 

I'm buying the materials for the walls today!  :)

That is just such an important step in the process for me because that allows me to get started on the real living stuff: cabinets/boxes, kitchen area, heater, storage, etc.

Paisley, if you're anywhere close I would say go to RTR even if it's not all put together. You'll not regret spending time with the tribe, and you'll get a lot of great ideas. Shoot, last year someone flew to Phoenix, rented a Uhaul van, hung a couple curtains in the back window, and moved in for the week just to try the lifestyle. I think they enjoyed themselves just as much as the people who had been in their rigs for years and had everything all sorted to their liking.

Paisley777 said:
Thank you.  I am hoping to get to RTR next year.  <fingers crossed>

I just want is somewhat put together by then. 

I'm buying the materials for the walls today!  :)

That is just such an important step in the process for me because that allows me to get started on the real living stuff: cabinets/boxes, kitchen area, heater, storage, etc.

Hey, I'm pulling for you. I'm doing about the same thing - lone 40-ish female - trying to pull this vandwelling life together myself. I just had to reseal my windows, also. I was told not to use silicone though. I've used marine epoxy. I didn't gut my van like you - kudos goes to you. That looks intimidating.

I'll be watching your progress and cheering you on from my keyboard :D I might...possibly maybe...be able to come for a few days of RTR. I'm trying hard not to hope too much.

lterry said:
Hey, I'm pulling for you. I'm doing about the same thing - lone 40-ish female - trying to pull this vandwelling life together myself. I just had to reseal my windows, also. I was told not to use silicone though. I've used marine epoxy. I didn't gut my van like you - kudos goes to you. That looks intimidating.

I'll be watching your progress and cheering you on from my keyboard :D I might...possibly maybe...be able to come for a few days of RTR. I'm trying hard not to hope too much.

Thank you so much.   :shy:
I wouldn't have torn it all out but for 1. the 35 years of stink in that shag carpet and 2. the water leaks ruining the sub floor.  At least by going down to the metal I know exactly what I'm dealing with under there.

Honestly, I would be out roaming ASAP but for the fact that I am (somewhat) the caretaker for my 86yo grandmother.  She is independent enough that I could do something like RTR for a couple weeks, but I can't be gone full time yet.  So, for now, I am taking my time putting it all together.  Planning & reading.

Wanted to say 'Hi' Paisley, and congrats on your van and the work you are doing. I used a similar waterproof underlayment over plywood and under finish flooring and so far it's all holding up just fine and really helped quiet things down.

Sassy

my build is around here somewhere: sassypickins van I think it is

Hope you get to RTR but Gramma's need us, too!

I've been able to start putting more in in the last few weeks.

I'm using both new materials and also salvaging from my 79 & the donor 78, so many parts are in rough but usable shape.  

The divider wall, the sink / fridge cabinet, the slide-out over the cab bed are now in.

Also I FINALLY figured out a mystery!!!
I am only 5'2 and have never been able to move the driver's seat forward enough to reach the pedals. (yeah, yeah, yeah :p  )  I have been using a big pillow to drive and thinking I'd have to drill more holes and move the seat forward.  I took the seats out today and HA HA!  Turns out the rails are drilled into the driver's chair crocked.  That is why it would only adjust a couple notches in any direction.   (in the pic, the driver chair is on the right, the passenger on the left.  The rails are .5in closer at the bottom.)

Attachments

• IMG_1981.jpgs.jpg
    IMG_1981.jpgs.jpg
    246.3 KB
  • IMG_1991s.jpg
    IMG_1991s.jpg
    218.1 KB
  • IMG_1996s.jpg
    IMG_1996s.jpg
    394.2 KB
I'm happy to report that I have discovered problem that I have been looking for! 

My back doors leak.  I have replaced the seals, cleaned, sealed the gutter, etc... but it still leaked. 

Well, yesterday I saw the reason.  The brown van is the right installation of the spare rack.  The yellow (mine) can is backwards.  The screws were pushing the doors apart!  No idea when this happened in its history or by who, but regardless... nuckleheads.

Attachments

• brown door s.jpg
    brown door s.jpg
    244 KB
  • yellow door1 s.jpg
    yellow door1 s.jpg
    223.3 KB
Had some time to work on the front end.  Had the dash pulled apart and the console lights are driving me batty still, but at least the carpet is on its way.

I pulled out the seats and that old stained, stinky orange shag rug.  Made a template with paper, then cut and installed the new carpet.

Attachments

• front s.jpg
    front s.jpg
    312.9 KB
  • floor pattern s.jpg
    floor pattern s.jpg
    274.7 KB
  • carpet cut s.jpg
    carpet cut s.jpg
    374.2 KB
  • front carpet s.jpg
    front carpet s.jpg
    450.3 KB
Nice job on the carpet. Keep plugging away as you have time and you'll get it done.

nice on the carpet,floor boards look good,is the door step area solid?

Gary68 said:
nice on the carpet,floor boards look good,is the door step area solid?

Yup.  No rust at all there happily.  I plan to put some rubber flooring on the step instead of the carpet. 

Best,
Samantha

What a busy week!

New front tank/sender, put the switch back in line.  Now both tanks, senders, all rubber line, filter, & pump are all 1 year old or less.

Made a slide out bed/desk.  It is higher then most examples because I wanted it to be usable as a desk/craft table.  Given that I have little - no carpentry skills I am pretty happy with how it turned out. 

Added some plastic drawers, back wall (stickers came with it), port-a-potty, curtain, couple of racks, started routing wiring, and adding light fixtures, etc.  Also added the carpet divider, carpet runner, mat. 

Lots of cleaning up to do, add some molding and edging, curtains, window edging, etc.

Happily it's starting to finally look like a legitimate livable space!

Next week comes the transmission drain & inspection.  I'll have my mechanic friend helping me with that one.

Attachments

• IMG_2153s.jpg
    IMG_2153s.jpg
    266.1 KB
  • IMG_2152s.jpg
    IMG_2152s.jpg
    248.4 KB
  • IMG_2151s.jpg
    IMG_2151s.jpg
    282.5 KB
  • IMG_2150s.jpg
    IMG_2150s.jpg
    315.9 KB
  • IMG_2146s.jpg
    IMG_2146s.jpg
    254.4 KB
Also - I made the bed/desk in 3 - 24" sections. I wanted to have some options for the craft table use. I plan to cut a thin plywood top of course.

Attachments

• IMG_2144s.jpg
    IMG_2144s.jpg
    244.4 KB
  • IMG_2142s.jpg
    IMG_2142s.jpg
    241.6 KB
  • IMG_2154s.jpg
    IMG_2154s.jpg
    327.7 KB
Nice progress Paisley!

Something to think about with that bed design is that one of its advantages is the inherent under-mattress ventilation. Apparently mattresses can trap a good deal of body moisture when placed on a solid surface and cause mold...so maybe drill some holes in the plywood if you plan to cover it.