79 E150 Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeRuth said:
Hard? not any more than most any other engine removal but time consuming!!! Nothing like tearing down the front end to make room eh!

That video is a riot to watch!

But see, now that's why doing a high top move is so much easier than an engine swap.

The last engine swap I assisted on was on the 61 Ford. We drained and disconnected the engine, took out the engine cowling (maybe 8 bolts) and lifted the engine out through the side doors. Oh, yea, we took the two seats out so they weren't in our way. I also didn't want all the crud from Dad's garage clothes all over my nice leather seats... :D

We didn't have to take the whole front end apart and THEN start taking millions of parts off!!

Today's engines, I can't even identify half the parts..... :mad: and even my little tiny hands won't fit between stuff!

I don't envy the guy that's doing the well-baby check up on my van and pre-emptively replacing things like the serpentine belt. I had to argue with him to do it, he's a fix it when it breaks type of guy. Me, I know without a doubt that it will go somewhere in Eastbumnowhere in the rain on a Saturday night of a long weekend.... :rolleyes: And then I'll be dealing with a mechanic that thinks because I'm blonde, female and from out of state that he can try to be 'amusing'!!

Almost There said:
I don't envy the guy that's doing the well-baby check up on my van and pre-emptively replacing things like the serpentine belt. I had to argue with him to do it, he's a fix it when it breaks type of guy. Me, I know without a doubt that it will go somewhere in Eastbumnowhere in the rain on a Saturday night of a long weekend.... :rolleyes: And then I'll be dealing with a mechanic that thinks because I'm blonde, female and from out of state that he can try to be 'amusing'!!

I love this!  No kidding.  Sounds like you've had the same kind of 'fun' I've had with mechanics. 

Paisley777 said:
I love this!  No kidding.  Sounds like you've had the same kind of 'fun' I've had with mechanics. 

I could probably write a book but whether it would be a comedy or a horror story remains to be seen!

I've been told I need an alternator when all I needed was a bolt!

I've been accused of not knowing the year of the vehicle I owned.... :rolleyes:

It's been interesting to say the least. Fortunately I grew up getting greasy in my dad's garage... :D

I can't change a tire but I know when I need one.... :p

As far as ford goes 79 is The year to have. 78 and back had serious rust issues. 79 had the best sheet metal. 1980 started the bodies that were galvanized and had massive paint problems. Only downside to the 79s were all the pollution control bullshit that didn't work except to suck engine performance. By mid 80s they were using proprietary fuel injection that changed year to year and sometimes month to month. Nothing was interchangeable like the Chevys and parts are a nightmare to find. I would def. stick to the 79 especially with the new engine. Nice grab on both the vans. You should be able to make a killer ride between the two of them.

cdiggy said:
As far as ford goes 79 is The year to have. 78 and back had serious rust issues. 79 had the best sheet metal. 1980 started the bodies that were galvanized and had massive paint problems. Only downside to the 79s were all the pollution control bullshit that didn't work except to suck engine performance. By mid 80s they were using proprietary fuel injection that changed year to year and sometimes month to month. Nothing was interchangeable like the Chevys and parts are a nightmare to find. I would def. stick to the 79 especially with the new engine. Nice grab on both the vans. You should be able to make a killer ride between the two of them.

Wow!  That is some great info.  Thank you

The only time I ever pulled a vehicle engine was when I rebuilt the 232CI six banger in my 1968 AMC Javelin. I was living with my parents at the time, working a minimum wage job after getting out of the Navy. Didn't have the money to pay a mechanic. So into Dad's boathouse/shop it goes, and the overhead rafters were my 'hoist' using a come-along. Hauled the motor out, moved the car back, and rebuilt the motor right there. Dropped it back in, and fired it up. MASSIVE cloud of white smoke! Forgot the notation in the manual about sealing one of the head bolts..... oopsie! Quick fix, and the little car ran fine.
Doing a van would require a special hoist to get it out the front.

this is what is great about common older vehicles. you can buy two, three, four put them all together and be thousands ahead. the best hoist for pulling a van motor is a forklift. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
this is what is great about common older vehicles. you can buy two, three, four put them all together and be thousands ahead. the best hoist for pulling a van motor is a forklift. highdesertranger

Forklift= genius!

highdesertranger said:
this is what is great about common older vehicles.  you can buy two,  three,  four put them all together and be thousands ahead.  the best hoist for pulling a van motor is a forklift.  highdesertranger

If you have to rent one though, I'm betting that it's cheaper to rent an engine hoist than a forklift.

I know a forklift is not practical for most people, but it is the best. highdesertranger

Paisley777 said:
Exactly.  The std top was originally a higher model, nicer interior, wood inlays, etc. and well taken care of.  The interior of the parts van is pretty beat up.  The story goes that grandpa let grandkid use it for a gig van.  Runs and all the parts I want are there, but kinda trashed inside. 

I'd rather take the devil I know.  It's also about more straight forward mechanical swaps, less unknown factors there.  Also things I can handle mechanically.

just do your due diligence,make sure the one you build sits square and level and everything points in the right direction,trust me,there's nothing worst then building something up just to find out it is crabbing down the road

Well, I have the donor van in my back yard finally! I plan to transfer the top before moving on to other projects.

I ordered the adhesive tape & trim online and it's on the way. My mechanic neighbor will lend me the sheet metal cutting tools and some muscle. Looks like I'll have a high top within two weeks!

Got the top mounted!  Now I am finishing up bolting the whole thing down.

I was surprised to see on the old van that, on the sides, the metal trim/strapping - the metal screws didn't actually go through the shell.  Is that normal or only sloppy work?

Attachments

• IMG_1289s.jpg
    IMG_1289s.jpg
    139 KB
  • IMG_1291s.jpg
    IMG_1291s.jpg
    118.7 KB
  • IMG_1293s.jpg
    IMG_1293s.jpg
    166.4 KB
  • IMG_1294s.jpg
    IMG_1294s.jpg
    229.1 KB
Paisley777 said:
Got the top mounted!  Now I am finishing up bolting the whole thing down.

I was surprised to see on the old van that, on the sides, the metal trim/strapping - the metal screws didn't actually go through the shell.  Is that normal or only sloppy work?

I suspect sloppy work. Any high tops I've seen have the screws through the shell into the original roof on the van.

I found some sloppy work on mine too! When I was literally crawling into the space between the high top and the original roof cleaning up the mouse pee, I could see daylight. Just a sliver and it had never leaked water because of the slope of the roof but still! I bought some marine grade butyl tape and sealed up the area.

yes, that was sloppy workmanship. I always liked to use a few bolts here and there. highdesertranger

Well, this week was just dandy.  With the rain I was outside hunting down any little (and large) leak.  I found that the windows are indeed leaking which is not surprising given the gasket is all dry and shrinking.  I was finally able to find something that will work at a local auto glass shop. (thanks to help on the board!)

Sadly I found the rain gutter is leaking rather more significantly than I had thought, but only in a couple places were the sealant has long been damaged/worn out.  At least by Saturday I'll have everything I need to update/seal/repair the windows and gutter.  ...I think.

Also had the great fun of re-doing work that I had hoped would have been done correctly the first time!  I had carefully measured the roof for removal and clearly marked it off.  My neighbor/mechanic offered to use his tools to do the cutting.  Unfortunately he decided to cut about +.5in inside my mark.  <sigh>  So, in a couple spots the top wasn't sitting right and the inside molding and shelves wouldn't sit right either because there was too much top left over.  :/
Off to Harbor Freight I went for cutting tools.  It's all good now, but what a pain!

Attachments

• pulling away.jpg
    pulling away.jpg
    132.2 KB
  • IMG_1339s.jpg
    IMG_1339s.jpg
    152.9 KB
highdesertranger said:
yeah I would take care of that rust.  highdesertranger

Already gotten to that.  I've been using some rust remover & drill powered wire scraper repeatedly.  Started to bondo where it is down to raw metal.  The RV roof repair goo comes today.

Been quite a while since I've updated.  First let me relay my first big post-engine rebuild trip...

June: Traveling from Albuquerque, NM to Dallas, TX.  Should have been less than 10 hours and return back to ABQ 3 days later. 
Ended up being 36 hours one way and 2 weeks total!!!!    why???... because I decided (quite unconsciously) to engage every single bit of blonde I posses. :/

It was my first road trip so I wanted to check mileage.  To do so I let the gas in the tank drop to near empty, then I switched to the other tank.  Bear in mind I did this on a 35 year old tank with all its expected rust, dirt, etc, etc, etc.  So, not long after refueling the trouble started.  I realized pretty quick the error of my ways but by then it was way too late.  By the time the whole mess was said and done I now have a rebuild carburetor, new rear tank, new filter, new pump, new sender, and all new lines from tank to pump.  No trouble coming back.

<sigh>

So anyway.  This week has all been about getting the floor finally done. 
Rust removed, holes patched, floor painted, vapor barrier, wood, & linoleum.  I know I made some errors, but thankfully the ugly parts will be hidden under the cabinets I plan to put in. 

Walls are being started next week when I use my 10% discount Weds to buy the goodies!

Attachments

• IMG_1496.JPG
    IMG_1496.JPG
    221.5 KB
  • IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    271.6 KB
  • IMG_1498.JPG
    IMG_1498.JPG
    245.8 KB
  • IMG_1501.JPG
    IMG_1501.JPG