6 Weeks and I'm Gone!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountrybreakfast

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I have been exploring the car dwelling lifestyle for about a year now. I am now proud to say that I'm hitting the road in 6 weeks, September 1st.

My vehicle is a 2007 Toyota Prius with just under 99k, and I am planning on more of a car camping type lifestyle than living directly out of the car. I'm currently waiting on my New York State Access Pass to arrive in the mail. The Access Pass will give me deeply discounted day use and camping rates in the NYS Park System. Any NY'ers out there using an Access Pass?

I live with a disability and collect an SSI benefit in the amount of $808. I have more than enough gear to make it out there and properly outfit my car. I'll be sure to post pics and entries here when the time gets closer to head out. I would really like to document this experience down to the finest details.

Well, just wanted to introduce myself. And, I'm looking forward to making this forum my home away from home.

Safe travels,

bigcountrybreakfast

Hey there again folks,

I just re-read my introduction and realized it was boringly vague. So here's a little more information about me:

I love good books, good coffee, and good people. I am a minimalist by nature. Most of my work experience has been in organic farming, gardening, and property caretaking. I live with a mental illness and try my best to advocate for the rights of people living with disabilities.

I have found great inspiration in Suanne's blog and I am confident that I can also heal from past trauma while exploring the U.S. by car.

This dream is finally becoming a reality and I am very, very excited!

And, a big thank you to everyone who contributes to this wonderful community!

Pics coming soon...

Safe travels,

bigcountrybreakfast

You mentioned the New York State access pass. Were you planning to try this in NY in the WINTER?

I currently live in upstate NY, and I can't imagine trying to live through a NY winter in a car. I wonder if some of the parks are even OPEN in the winter?

When I retire, in 8 months, I plan to spend my winters far, far away from NY.

Regards
John

Hi John, thank you for the reply!

I'm in upstate NY as well, just east of Rochester. There are many NYS Parks that are open year round. And several of them offer winterized cabins with heat - Letchworth would be my first choice. I'm not planning on spending too much time here this winter but it's nice to know I can get a heated cabin on the cheap if I need to.

Welcome! You'll want to get a federal access pass too - http://store.usgs.gov/pass/access.html which will give you the same benefits as the NY state park pass - free entrance to federal sites and half price for camping.

You'll have to head south for the winter -brrrr. There are some really nice Corp of Engineer parks in Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama. Also national forest in those states and northern Florida. They all have a fourteen day camping limit but there are enough that you'll be able to jump around all winter.

Thank you so much for the link and info!! I'll be sure to check the Corp of Engineer Parks. Many thanks!

Hiya BCB, and welcome to the forum!!

I have quite a few friends who own Prius's, and they all love 'em! (1 guy was using his wife's so much, that she made him go out and buy 1 for himself!!) :p

are you going to start a blog for your travels??

oh yeah....PICTURES!!!

Hello from Oregon!!