500 Watt Solar for small Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cynanne

Reaction score
I am considering 400- 500 watt solar on a very small van- Nissan NV200. Based on the small roof size how many panels max should I have? Does anyone have experience with the ones that lie flat (flex or fabric?). Are they usually less wattage? Would I have to spend more money per panel to max this out based on the small roof size? I may have the 12v fridge and possibly the ninja personal blender in use. Any recs for a good brand?

I would measure the roof from front to back and side to side and post that info. Someone can probably help you if the exact measurements are known

I have two panels on a Ford E-150 and plenty of room to add two more. Frankly I think the surface area to work with on yours is very much the same. My panels are rated at 120 Watts, adding two more would be easy and I'd have 480 watts if I did. In my case the 240 Watts on two Trojan T-105 batteries works just fine and I run a 110VAC fridge on a 2000 Watt inverter, Roof vent fan, two small internal fans, lighting and occasionally charging of laptops phone etc. I do have the system tied to the alternator for those cloudy days, and I don't fret over them not getting fully charged by alternator as they get sufficient charge to hold over till sunny days appear.

Works for me. Oh and my batteries bought new now 4.5 years ago are still working excellent.

Mike R

Plywood is not the way to go. Mount to metal. 

There is such a thing as too much solar. For 600w of solar I would suggest a much larger vehicle to run all the things that you will be able to power. 

Us. Have you figured out how much battery and where they will go?

I had 200 w of solar and 400 AH of batteries in my small van.

wood keeps wind pressure off the bottom of panels. id block off front also.
they asked about 400 maybe 500 watts.
200w to 100ah is best. 200w to 400ah take to long to charge.

I have 200 watts of panels permanently mounted connected to 350 Ah of AGM batteries and it works well. A lot depends on how far you discharge the battery bank. The absorption phase of charging is what takes the time and the batteries will only take so much. I do carry another 200 watts of panels that are portable (same make and model as what is on the roof) that I can connect in parallel to give more input if my batteries get low. I will run my generator first thing in the morning then to help get past the bulk charge phase and let solar do the long tapered absorption phase.

Master Mechanic said:
wood keeps wind pressure off the bottom of panels. id block off front also.
they asked about 400 maybe 500 watts.
200w to 100ah is best. 200w to 400ah take to long to charge.

there are factors that you don’t even consider. A panel over a roof provides shade. That is a good thing. Ask anyone that has been there.  
Wind pressure off the bottom???????  Try extra weight and creating a huge sail to catch the wind off the trucks. Plywood is not a good option. 
somewhere I have a build thread on how to use aluminum channel on a roof rack.

LoveCareThinkDo said:
I have 610 watts on my Dodge Grand Caravan. See Bob's video of me here: 

Thank you for making the video. I love this but I need to be stealth. Do you know anything about the self contained systems like the Kodiak Generator? Is it efficient? Does it take a long time to charge? My van will be very small inside.

To best answer this for a stealth system...We need to know more information. What you want to power.

Start by making a list of every single item you want to charge. For each item you need to know the Voltatge, Amps and Watts. If you know 2 of these you can find the 3rd.

Voltage X Amps = Watts.

This isn't such a big deal if your only looking to charge a cell phone, tablet, a usb battery pack or a light or other small things.

But if you are looking to run a Fridge, Microwave, or Televisions and such It is very important.

I have no experience with the Kodiak. But I'm thinking it one of those battery packs marketed as a Solar Generator. If that's the case the largest thing you may get away running from one of these is a Laptop. They most definitely would not be the solution for running a Fridge. I'm not going to say it wont do it. But, I personally wouldn't.

So we come back to the beginning that we need more information in order to give you a good answer.