5.1" ground clearance,

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My assumption is that a van (promaster city) with 5.1" ground clearance would be very limiting to someone who wanted to get a van and head out to the Arizona desert to do some long term camping/van dwelling on BLM an national park lands.

I see that the Chevy Express has a ground clearance of 7".

What I'm learning about looking for my first vehicle is that there are compromises that have to be made. So, I see that this Promaster City is a compromise. I just wonder, on a scale of 1 to 10, how much of a compromise is the 5.1" ground clearance?
"9 or 10" being the Express with the 7 inch clearance.

Again, I assume there would be just be tons of land off limits to this vehicle that you all enjoy, or am I wrong on that? It would be a bummer to feel really limited.

Thanks

A 5 1/2" rock isn't very big, and there are lots of them. In the desert there are also lots of ruts that are deeper than that. They don't use low riders to race the Baja 500. I don't see the Promaster as being a compromise vehicle. It is made for the city. I would not plan on going on anything rougher than a graded county dirt road with one.
This is just my opinion, but where I live is within the Mojave Desert, (Pahrump Nv) I would not take it off road here.

Bear in mind that the listed ground clearance is for the part of your undercarriage that's closest to the ground. My Kia Soul has 6.5 inches of ground clearance. I went under the car with a tape measure and found that the 6.5 inch figure was for parts of my suspension right up against the tires. Most of my undercarriage actually has a fair bit more clearance.

That said, it's not a vehicle designed for off-roading, so I'm very careful about where I take it. I've been on some pretty rough dirt roads without any problems, but I'm careful. If something looks questionable I stop, get out and walk the questionable part of the road before deciding whether or not it's something my front wheel drive street car can handle.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I take an '04 Prius into the backcountry. I believe it has 4.9" clearance. It's a skill to drive rutted Forest Service or BLM roads. I've surprised some of my friends in high-clearance vans when I was able to drive some of the same roads that they took. Basically, I drive slow, placing my tires on the humps, not in the ruts. I'm also willing to back up when needed.

With all that said, my running board areas and bumpers have dents and scraps. If I'm not sure about a route through a rocky patch, I'll make sure that the body takes the possible hit instead of the oil pan. I avoid muddy and water covered roads.

Bottom line is that you can get into the backcountry with your 5.1" clearance. The only thing that I'm not sure about is if you'd bottom out on your van's back overhang when going down and up dips in the road.

Suanne said:
Hi and welcome to the forum.  

It's a skill to drive rutted Forest Service or BLM roads.  I've surprised some of my friends in high-clearance vans when I was able to drive some of the same roads that they took.   Basically, I drive slow, placing my tires on the humps, not in the ruts.  I'm also willing to back up when needed.

That's putting it mildly!!!!! Suanne has astonished me with where she manages to take that Prius!!

And it has all the dents, dings and missing trim pieces to prove it! All are true badge of honor!
Bob

Thanks All for the comments.

I wonder about tire wall sizes, too.
You can see the stock tries are pretty low profile, and there are tires for this wheel that are taller profiles. Couldn't hurt to call my local tire shop to see what they have to say. Don't mean to sound like I'm arguing, just that I like so much about this vehicle except for the the ground clearance. I'll keep looking at my options, too.
5026c4d1bdfd68a20fde66a7a1a7fac4x.jpg

It.s a domino effect. Larger diameter tires requires different gearing in the differential, Most likely would need body mods for tire clearance. Suspension modification may also be necessary. A lot of tire shops will not install oversize tires for liability reasons. Anything can be done, but at what cost is the issue.

I don't see a problem taking that out into mild desert areas.

it'd not like it's a Lamborgini or something.

agree on the above thoughts and also know that many tire centers will baulk at the idea of installing anything over ~3% above what the vehicle's door sticker indicates for tire size. we went a tad over that but it was obvious with the installed lift kit we'd thought the request through before heading to the tire center.

Thom

5.1 inches isn't much, but like Suanne said it's more about driving style. which is true. on graded desert roads you should be fine, it's on the unimproved roads that you will encounter problems. so basically it's a question of how far off the improved roads you want to go. another note, you can get in on a good road and if a storm blows through that tears up the road you might have a hard time getting out. even on the graded roads they a usually maintained them only once or twice a year at the most. highdesertranger

I used to go all over the place in the desert my Nissan Quest but I knew how that thing rode inside and out. Looking back I'm amazed, though, at what I did inching along - without any problem. Maybe I just lucked out...

Many roads in the desert and national forests, however, do not require much clearance - you just need to know when to stop and be willing to stop (and to go slow) :)

That's my experience anyway.

DimondColorCloud said:
My assumption is that a van (promaster city) with 5.1" ground clearance would be very limiting to someone who wanted to get a van and head out to the Arizona desert to do some long term camping/van dwelling on BLM an national park lands.

I see that the Chevy Express has a ground clearance of 7".

What I'm learning about looking for my first vehicle is that there are compromises that have to be made. So, I see that this Promaster City is a compromise. I just wonder, on a scale of 1 to 10, how much of a compromise is the 5.1" ground clearance?
"9 or 10" being the Express with the 7 inch clearance.

Again, I assume there would be just be tons of land off limits to this vehicle that you all enjoy, or am I wrong on that? It would be a bummer to feel really limited.

Thanks

Hi there - 

a bit to join the thread, but I am also just looking into the Promaster so I really liked your question. Really like the car, but stumbled upon the very same issue of limited ground clearance. Wondering, what car did you decide on in the end?

Best,
Thomas

It's not like you are going to try Moab, right?

I would put on slightly taller Duratracs and go.

That and some skill and you will be amazed how far you can go.

Need to realise the difference between the classic American fullsize vans, intended as universal work trucks, and the new Eurovans designed as delivery vehicles in a city setting. Proper driving technique can help you get "out there", but you might simply get stuck further out. Same with four wheel drive.
If you really feel the need to get out into the weeds, get an American van that can be raised for better clearance. With enough money you can get a 4X4 van.
But it's all a compromise.

If you're a person with some common sense who can drive slowly over rough terrain, you should be fine with a low clearance.   Just keep in mind that the areas closer to the roads tend to be more driveable, and the further out you go, the rougher it gets.  Getting there is only half the problem -- getting back is the other half.  If you insist on going into rough country in bad weather, don't expect outside help -- you're last on the list, even if anyone knows that you're there.

I did some of my ghost town exploring in a Chevelle.  Many of the towns were quite remote and the approaches to them were strictly unmaintained.  I got to one mountain town (W. MT, I think) at an absolute CRAWL, and met a ranger up there (jacked up 4WD pickup) whose jaw dropped when he saw me and asked me how the 'ell I got up there.  Getting down was a bit trickier... gravity, you know.

OTOH...... if you are male, with an overload of testosterone, no sense at all, and you think that the solution to all driving problems is to slam the accelerator to the floor, don't waste your time on something that low.   ESPECIALLY don't buy it new.  Get something with 9 to 12 inches of clearance, used, and hang 27 good luck charms from your mirror.  Maybe your luck will be better than the rabbit's.

Now, guys, this isn't personal.  You all know that most of those entertaining idiots on YouTube are male, and that most of the nominees for the Darwin Awards are male.  I have seen guys driving slowly and carefully, so I know it's possible.  It's (mostly) not the women who say to their friends:  "Hold my beer and watch this", is it?  :D :D  :angel:

Another compromise to consider is this:  the greater the ground clearance, the greater the climb up into the driver's seat.  
That isn't an issue for many, but for those of us with bum knees/hips it's a big consideration.
I'd love a 4x4 pickup, but I've come to realize it would kill me to climb up into it on a daily basis. A mid-size SUV is probably about all I can handle.

Mayble, whenever I've had to get into one of those things, I always ask the same question: "Where's the rope ladder? Toss it down".

LOL TrainChaser dead on right, we do tend to be more 'let it all hang out' I don't think any guys are gonna get butthurt over that one
I too have 'off roaded, a 72 Cutlass (Chevelle by any other name) as well as a Polara station wagon
Loved driving around some of those idjets with their jacked up 4x4s that din't know how to drive
Those old cars were tough!

In my Exploder I carried a milk crate so the ex and my mom could get in

Goggle "Cheap Jeep" for some great fun and see what people do with old 2 wheel drive cars!