5.1" ground clearance,

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArtW said:
In my Exploder I carried a milk crate so the ex and my mom could get in

I was just thinking of suggesting using a milk crate before I read your post.  My full size  4x4 Bronco had 32in tires so I was good for going off road, no clearence problems there.    However I'm so "vertically challenged" I had to stand on a milk crate to climb up and stand on top of my front tires so I could check fluids up under the hood. 
 Where there's a woman.....err......will, there's a way  :D

Jewellann

DimondColorCloud said:
My assumption is that a van (promaster city) with 5.1" ground clearance would be very limiting to someone who wanted to get a van and head out to the Arizona desert to do some long term camping/van dwelling on BLM an national park lands.
I see that the Chevy Express has a ground clearance of 7".

The Express is a full size van.  The full size Promaster has 6.9" of ground clearance.   

The Promaster CIty is a mini cargo van, like the Transit Connect (6.4"), MB Metris (4.0") Nissan NV200 (6.1"),  or Chevy City Express (6.1").   

Something like a Honda Element gives more clearance (6.9") without getting huge like a fullsize van.  Truck-based SUVs might also be worth considering.

mayble said:
Another compromise to consider is this:  the greater the ground clearance, the greater the climb up into the driver's seat.  
That isn't an issue for many, but for those of us with bum knees/hips it's a big consideration.
I'd love a 4x4 pickup, but I've come to realize it would kill me to climb up into it on a daily basis.  A mid-size SUV is probably about all I can handle.

That is why all the retirees have running boards on their pickups, that additional step up makes it easier to get into than mid size SUV.