40' RV too big?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geos

Reaction score
I'm considering 35' and 40' RVs. I was wondering if a 40' would limit me too much in terms of places to boondock. Any thoughts?

I see some big uns like that pretty far back in the woods, it just depends on how daring you are. Also I know in my area not all of the back roads require four wheel drive.

You'll be limited in many places. Some campgrounds also have trouble with longer RVs. With a toad the problem is even worse. Height can also be a limiting factor. Watch for low hanging tree limbs!

It will limit you a lot but it is doable. Check this blog - http://www.wheelingit.us/category/boondocking-2/  When they bought their RV they were not planning on boondocking. As far as I know they hadn't even been RVing before. I believe that Nina wrote somewhere in the blog that if they had realized how much they were going to enjoy boondocking they would have bought something smaller. Even so they manage to get that huge RV into some pretty remote places.

I had a 2008 31' coachmen motorhome and literally couldn't get it into my own residential driveway. A small incline over a short space was the issue. The drain pipes hang very low on most longer class C's, and with the piping exiting behind the rear wheels, the geometry is a consistent problem.

My only advice is to look for one that the dump hose connections are above the axle line.

I had a Southwind that had it behind a side door.

I would never be able to back one of those up. But you would have a lot more comforts in an RV that size. Are you going to have a bike or small car to take into smaller areas? Peaceful Day!

Only you can answer this question.

How comfortable are you driving a rig that size around??

Me?? Not a problem whatsoever. I've got years driving semis pulling doubles, so a 40' RV is like driving a toy to me.

...but my wife??? Don't even ask!! :p

I had a 35' RV that towed a 6' x 10' cargo trailer behind. I could even back it up.... :D

BUT, I had to be very careful where I took it. A lot of state parks have very limited numbers of sites that the larger RVs will fit so choices are limited and reservations a must.

Besides, a 35' RV, if well designed and laid out, can offer as much living space as I figure 2 people would want or really need.

Today, knowing the places I want to go, yes 40' would be more than I would want.

To each their own of course!

I would not consider anything over 29 foot. Too hard finding a place to park and camp. My step van is exactly 19 and although I could use 5 to 10 feet of space I can make do with what I have. Just my .02$ you lose out on a lot of places just because of sheer size of the rig. I have seen a lot of roads that have signs forbidding rigs over 20 ft.

Freedom and mobility are the enemies of comfort and room. The more you get of one, the less you get of the other.

With a 40 foot RV, you get an extreme amount of comfort and room, but you also get extremely little freedom and mobility.

The trick is finding the sweet spot where you get the right amount of each for you and that's different for everybody.

For me it's a 4x4 Sportsmobile van or a 4x4 Dodge Cummins with a small camper.

Because those are out of my price range, I have a van towing a cargo trailer.
Bob

I suppose it depends on the areas you wish to get to, and you're reason for wanting so much living space. We like mountains and mountain lakes, and there are those difficult to get to - impossible for a large Class A because the gravel roads have very tight turns, or other minor obstacles.

For us, anything over 30' would be too restrictive. Height is another consideration, if you're Into wooded areas...

Just consider where you plan to boondock and buy appropriately.

Latest posts