24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ thanks for thinking of me. However I am working on year 4 of full time camping and staking things down. I have it figured out and I have everything I need for staking lines down. What I use takes up a fractional amount of storage space versus ground anchors, they weigh a fraction compared to those ground anchors and cost considerably less than those ground anchors. It is also easier to use in the very rocky desert soils in Southern AZ where I winter and woks equally good in forest areas. My method was taught to me by “Abnorm”, another long time forum member who has been full time for a lot of years.
Maki, what app do you use to check wind speeds and directions?

I had the Miss Fortune of forgetting her name. A little Miss Direction and I was able to escape that issue.

I plan on getting the Window Suction Cups from Harbor Freight. They do have a reuse in the nomadic world as they can be used on top of a vehicle to anchor shade cloth and tarps. Toilet plungers have no reuse, not even for their intended purpose.
I am also in southern AZ for my umteenth winter and no violent winds at all. What a shame you have to put up
with that.

My screen room is still standing this morning without any damage done. However during the time period when the strongest winds hit last night the wind shifted further towards the west and that meant the long side of my trailer received the strongest wind gust forces which protected my screen room.

Maki, what app do you use to check wind speeds and directions?
I use several weather apps rather than just one. But the best one for looking at wind speed and direction is Windy.

. The app Windy works best for winds because it has an algorithm in it that accounts for the effect on wind directions from the local terrain and if you are connected to the internet and give the app the right permission it can use your current GPS location from your cell phone.

The weather report I mostly use for longer range forecast is not an app, it is a website from the National Weather service, weather.gov. But it is like all such weather predictions including Windy, it is only updated a couple of times a day. Someplace on the screen it usually states when the last update happened.

Last edited:
I plan on getting the Window Suction Cups from Harbor Freight. They do have a reuse in the nomadic world as they can be used on top of a vehicle to anchor shade cloth and tarps. Toilet plungers have no reuse, not even for their intended purpose.
Hey Maki, What do you think of getting the blade of a screwdriver under the pane and just lever it up a quarter of an
inch and then stick something under the pane?

Hey Maki, What do you think of getting the blade of a screwdriver under the pane and just lever it up a quarter of an
inch and then stick something under the pane?
Good thought but a No-Go.
It is seated into a U shaped aluminum channel that is a tight fit against the glass. Even at the weep holes I cannot slip the tip of a screw driver underneath the glass.

At avleast thing accomplised today. A brand new battery, now fully charged, is now in my oldest laptop that still runs on Windows 7. It has some legacy 3D CAD software on it. I need that for design work. That means I can start designing new product for my Etsy store. But it will take a while to get the will power in motion to reboot my brain for the work. It has been about 5 years since I was actively designing new miniature card stock kits. There is a type of dance steps to the software for the functions involved in the process of fitting things into and onto each other. It is going to take a while to regain efficiency and accuracy for those patterns of moves.

It is seated into a U shaped aluminum channel that is a tight fit against the glass. Even at the weep holes I cannot slip the tip of a screw driver underneath the glass.
Well, rats. Sounds like suction cups might be the only way. Might take a lot of strength to slide the glass up. Could be a two-person job. The next time you get to a town with a glass company, bet they would love to help.
I had to google Etsy. Very interesting idea. Good luck re booting brain. While I have you, just curious about where you
spend summers. I just go up to 7000 ft in northern AZ, only needing to drive 700 miles a year. Gobs of free camping and very little 14-day enforcement.

Well, rats. Sounds like suction cups might be the only way. Might take a lot of strength to slide the glass up. Could be a two-person job. The next time you get to a town with a glass company, bet they would love to help.
I had to google Etsy. Very interesting idea. Good luck re booting brain. While I have you, just curious about where you
spend summers. I just go up to 7000 ft in northern AZ, only needing to drive 700 miles a year. Gobs of free camping and very little 14-day enforcement.
Thanks but I do not need a glass company to fix the issue. Suction cup are plan A. However I do have a DIY plan B that will solve this issue. Plan A involves less a lot labor than plan B so I will try the suction cups first. Both plan A and plan B cost a lot less money than hiring the work out to a glass company.

I typically camp in Northern AZ for the summer and I will again this 4th year of doing so. But one of these summers will also spend some of the summer I will go around the Taos, New Mexico area. I am an artist who uses old architecture styles for inspiration and I like the old adobe buildings. I grew up in San Antonio so there was some around but the old Northern New Mexico style has a different spin to it than the old San Antonio style of adobe. Likely because San Antonio has more rainfall, is warmer in the winter months and has less of the early Native American influence as the Texas tribes were more nomadic and not as inclined for building settlement structures

Last edited:
Would a thin narrow putty knife work?

Would a thin narrow putty knife work?
Nope, I did mention it was a very tight aluminum U channel. Only a thousandth of an inch or so shim can fit in that gap and that tin of a shim is useless to do anything in the way of a fix. I am absolutely not a helpless female type. I am a very experienced assembly and fabrication person with more than 45 years of professional experience. Below is photo is me in the foreground working at Boeing circa 1980. I worked there enogh years to become a lead at Boeing teaching others how to use all kinds of tools and put all kinds of stuff together at Boeing for years before I left working there. That work requires being both precise and careful as well as mastering the use of many tools and knowing a lot about material properties. A photo is unfortunately often needed to convince people in this forum to understand that I can visualize solution as well as implement them. Just telling that to people in words does not seem to get through to them to so they understand that I actually can think things through and analyze what works and what won’t work.

A putty knife will absolutely not work even a much thinner painters pallet knife does not fit into that very narrow gap between the glass and the aluminum channel sides.
IMG_0170.jpeg

Last edited:
I know & respect your abilities & have seen the photo. It was just an idea & trying to help. :)
Look at it this way if you do not see menactually posting “I need help with” or “ I need advice about” then all I am doing is storytelling, discussing what is going on in my life. Which is perfectly OK because this is the “24/7 Chat About Anything Thread”. In this section I can mention what I am doing even when I do not need help doing it. That is of course not normal in a forum where people typically show up writing post looking for advice.

Last edited:
Two new cracks in my windshield from the weekend winds..................Guess it's finally time to replace
That is a bummer! It is no fun when Mother Nature gets mad enough to start throwing rocks at you.

Just for those having issues. Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, and other assorted meta and related apps are down at the moment.

For those having other issues, feel free to blame Facebook regardless, if it helps.

Just for those having issues. Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, and other assorted meta and related apps are down at the moment.

For those having other issues, feel free to blame Facebook regardless, if it helps.
Ah Ha! That explains why my Facebook app wanted me to enter a password to log in. I just closed the app and said to myself, not worth bothering to look up the password I use for it. 🤣

Facebook and the others are back up again. Productivity around the world went back down to it's usual level.

Yuma is really RV Heaven. They're everywhere! Especially the big shiny ones. Where my Airbnb is, every second house seems to have one in the backyard. And these RV parks with everyone jammed in like sardines ... brrrrr. Very different from what most of y'all seem to be doing. I'm here for a couple weeks, hope to see as much of the river as I can before heading back out into the desert. Weather is perfect (I bet that doesn't last long).

Latest posts