24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sofisintown said:
no shortage of bugs here. Summers are warm and somewhat humid, so they hang around.
Good to see that lightning bugs are still around. I hope they have warm coats for the Wisconsin winter. Good thing we don't get -40F here in high desert paradise. BTW, I put in a plug for your build on this thread, a guy with a special ergonomic requirement ....

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=41450

travelaround said:
That's the rumor... it was being investigated by multiple organizations, businesses and agencies. From the morning of the fire it was said a tree fell over onto a power line during a windstorm. 

However... the investigations are not completed. The attorney, who has a lot of experience with these types of cases, 

It will not be a class action lawsuit
I wish the states of CA, OR, WA, and ID would get together in the class action suit against the Federal gobmint for their rotten forest management practices. A good lawyer could make millions on that and retire to a million $$$ home on a high mountain top in the woods. Hint, hint ...

Not enough money to manage  in anyones's budget to manage all that forest landit is not like the much smaller country of Germany where poeple go into the forest and clear out the underbrush. Of course underbrush is a n essential for the wildlife so now the theory is to leave it be. Then in the Western US there is that plague known as the Pine Bark Beetle that is doing its bext to create the perfect fuel for a forest fire.

No mtter what you do you can't  stop lightening storms, no way to manage them. You also can't stop droughts and other weather cycles. Much easier to herd cats than manage to keep a forest from catching on fire.

Foo, nothing but excuses. The gobmint budget is $4.79-Trillion, and they can't manage $5-Billion dedicated to forest management. Our houses burn down, and 50-million people get to breathe the smoke. Myopia from every quarter.

No cure for all the ills in the world, money can't fix everything.

Now if only they could fix the postal delivery system. Today was not one but 3 customers who wrote me about delivery issues. One of them used the wrong address for me to send it to. Another one was in Australia complaining it had not yet arrived but then did not bother to tell me it got there today. Another one the postal system seems to be sending the package all over the place but where it was supposed to go. I can't fix any of those issues, they are all beyond my control and also as a seller they are not my responsibility to fix.

maki2 said:
No cure for all the ills in the world, money can't fix everything.
Why even bother trying, just breathe in the nice air. For the price of a fighter plane, we might be able to do some good, but WTF.

Sofi and Qx - Reference fireflies. Firefly is our state insect in Pennsylvania. One of the many species is called “ Pennsylvaniaus”something or other. In northern PA we have a species of these that are synchronous. Only other known population is in the Smokies. This species flashes intermittently for a time and then all at once they all go dark and stay dark until wham they all start flashing again. Absolutely amazing to see and think about. In the county where that species lives we have the annual Pennsylvania fire fly festival. But being an old biology and nature teacher I have to tell you that fire flies are not flies and lightning bugs are not bugs. They are a bio luminescent beetle. They have fascinated me for years. The males flashing their lights attract the females, remind me of all the guys at the VFW dance showing off for the girls in hopes of getting lucky.

My camp move was successful I am now in Berks County PA. I plan to be here till maybe Monday. I’ve got lots of work to do Before leaving for Florida. And another event of the day was a certified letter from a lawyer with divorce papers. I don’t believe in divorce I made a promise, a commitment before God and witnesses till death do us part. She made the same commitment bUt somehow I blew it. God bless the nomads.

The temperature Sunday night will drop down into the 30s. So Saturday and Sunday priorities are to get the stuff done that will help keep me warm and cozy. Nothing like waiting until the last day when a frost is due to motivate me to wrap up those insulating projects :) Well I won't get them quite wrapped up as some materials won't be delivered until October 30.

It is cold here too. Time to try to find those long pants I packed somewhere in the van. Thanks for all the advice. I like the shelter idea, Maki, but there's no way I want to overwinter here in Northern California. I will head south as soon as Red Cross puts me out on the street. Right now, I'm staying in the hotel room another week and getting the van ready for travel. The shelter will have to wait until I get the go-ahead from the state of California to live on my land again, and that could take a few years.

About the lawyer - nothing ventured nothing gained or learned from the experience. I will have plenty of company in this mass tort lawsuit. My participation can be over the phone as I let the lawyer's office do all the work and help me make decisions about a possible settlement in case that ever happens. I don't expect it to be a lot of money but if I wind up with enough for a 24' yurt home I'd be delighted.

My son ended up in the lap of luxury in Reno in a very nice, clean, modern home with his friends who sold me the mobile home in Happy Camp. The house belongs to one of their relatives. My daughter is now living in her RV.

Mom (me) needs to get her act together and prepare to leave this hotel. I cleaned out the front of the van so I could pile my boxes in there similar to how I had them last time I was f/t in the van. I'm nearly done with the stationary life and want to get back to wandering.

Sofisintown said:
It does take down old people, so be alert to the symptoms.
Very glad to hear you were back on your feet quickly, whatever the cause, and whatever the cure!  I think it's awesome that you have learned to care well for yourself and those you love.

It does, also, take down young people--including some with no underlying health conditions.  (Signed Debbie Downer...)

Qxxx said:
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]That's what Mr-T switched to...[/font]
Reminds me of an old but cute joke:  A kindergartener was asked, "What does Mr. T say?"  In the next frame, he's in the corner with a thought bubble saying "Wrong Mr. T."  (Apparently "Shut up, fool" was not the expected answer.)

I don't own any summer clothes except for some short sleeved T shirts. It was cold enough today that I got out my medium weight jacket over a fleece pullover with a thermal Tsirt under that. But the sun is going down now and it is time to turn on some heat. Making a pot of pasta tonight. That will warm me twice with the heat from the stove and a hot meal.

There was a strong wind ithis morrning with some 25mph gust. I left my dome tent up to see if it could handle that and it did but I think it could use a a few guy ropes to the top center  to constrain any major lean.  I have the rope but not enough stakes. I will get some more stakes on my next run to Walmart. I have no idea what wind speed that tent can handle, of course I am bound to find out in the desert if not before I arrive there.

Its Friday so I now have a neighbor at the campground. A rental unit from a custom interior build, campervan company out of Portland, Oregon.  It has a roof tent up top but as it is just two people using it that tent is not deployed for use. The coyple were using a Coleman stove outside and an ice chest so it must not have very many built in amenities. Ramblin Vans is the rental company name. Not a bad way for people to try out a bit of van life before they buy a van of their own.

Reminds me of an old but cute joke:  A kindergartener was asked, "What does Mr. T say?"  In the next frame, he's in the corner with a thought bubble saying "Wrong Mr. T."  (Apparently "Shut up, fool" was not the expected answer.)
No moss growin' on your north side, Fan.

travelaround said:
It is cold here too. 
Once you guys get down to Quartzsite, in January and February you can expect night time temperatures down into the low-30s. So make sure your van heaters are working, else buy a nice comfy down sleeping bag.

What are "bubble" bees?
Bees with a sizable spherical abdomen?

Right now in Pennsylvania 64° I can’t believe it. I’m at the chicken farm again the only problem here are the flies. But as Kermit D Frog said. “Times fun when you’re having flies.” This couple has five boys and have become good friends. The boys seem like my grandchildren for some reason. Work on the van is coming close to where I want it to end. (Until I get another major inspiration) The only other major project will be staining the wood. I am still planning to leave on November 11 and take three or four weeks to get to Florida. God bless the nomads each and every one of them.

Oh dear, Nature...  You've awakened the slumbering guardian of my treasure trove of lawyer jokes, but it's too late, one slipped out:  "It was so cold, that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets!"

Renting seems like a good idea, Maki.  Today I saw a U-Haul rental van in a site parked next to a sedan.  They had a huge, multi-room tent up, and probably ten brand new Action Packers (or whatever high-end tote boxes are called these days).  I felt kind of sorry for them, because a rainy cold front came through, and it may dampen their enthusiasm before the weekend is out.

Battery dying...  You lucked out on the jokes.

wayne49 said:
What are "bubble" bees?
Bees with a sizable spherical abdomen?
They are honey bees too, but their body is kinda furry and fuzzy. Bigger than the regular ones. They seem to withstand the cold better, because they are still around when the others are gone.

Both Travelaround and I have been living where it frequently is 30 degrees or lower at night in the winter.

My heater iis made in Finland where it gets a whole lot colder than 30 degrees :)

Latest posts