24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My backyard mechanic (I can't call him a shade tree mechanic because there's no shade tree) has to work outdoors in this weather. I don't know how he manages; I was wiped out just from standing around watching him work. He was trying to fix a transmission Saturday when he got caught in a monster thunderstorm. He said the wind was blowing so hard he could hardly breathe. Now whenever I hear the thunder rumble I think of him and get nervous. It can't be good to be elbow deep in a giant metal thing when there's lightning around ... I guess whatever people's job is, once they get used to it they start taking chances. Especially if they need the money.

As to working under a car when it is raining, it is not as if the rain is getting into your eyes and blurring your vision.

As to working under a car when it is raining, it is not as if the rain is getting into your eyes and blurring your vision.
Depends on the car and if you need the hood open. I've been there unfortunately.

I can see how that would be fun -- a nice eau de engine block facial lightly dusted with blowing dirt ...
Beats laying underneath on ice and getting the back of your coveralls soaked when you body heat melts the ice and holding your upper body up to keep from freezing till you get the job done only to find the wet coveralls sagged down into the puddle which has now frozen preventing you from climbing out from underneath the truck! Had to lay back down and thaw the coveralls enough I could get loose! That was almost as bad as laying my wrench on the asphalt while I was under the car in Tucson and having the wrench melt into the asphalt. As I couldn’t see where it was I felt around for it and when I grabbed it it stuck to my hand severely burning it. The joys of being a mobile mechanic! lol!!!

Beats laying underneath on ice and getting the back of your coveralls soaked when you body heat melts the ice and holding your upper body up to keep from freezing till you get the job done only to find the wet coveralls sagged down into the puddle which has now frozen preventing you from climbing out from underneath the truck! Had to lay back down and thaw the coveralls enough I could get loose! That was almost as bad as laying my wrench on the asphalt while I was under the car in Tucson and having the wrench melt into the asphalt. As I couldn’t see where it was I felt around for it and when I grabbed it it stuck to my hand severely burning it. The joys of being a mobile mechanic! lol!!!
I'm his free time, bullfrog used to listen to James Taylor while healing from his wounds.

Just watched Twisters. Decent movie. Wouldn't want to be working under a car during ones of those.

No excitement in my life other than a really close by crack of thunder and lightning in yesterday afternoon’s intense rain with small hail storm cell that passed over my campsite. I was not worried about getting a direct hit as I am in a small, sunny clearing surrounded by plenty of trees taller than my trailer. Plus everthing was well saturated so not a huge wildfire risk either and a fire department and the national guard base is less than 2 miles away! Plus there are a couple of National Forest Service Fire watch tower cameras that have direct eyes on this section of the forest. Big brother is watching over me 😱

An act of kindness was given to me today. The forest service road I am camped near was being scraped today to smooth the road surface and re establish the drainage channels at the road edges. The driver of the machine apparently had a goal to clear as far as the pipeline road intersection just past my campsite. But instead of turning around in that intersection he lifted the blades and backed up and turned around at the entry to my campsite backing those big wheels across the ditch and the pulling forward back onto the road. That was a kindness that created an easy to transverse pathway in and out. I have been in other areas where that road plowing made it very difficult to get back onto the main road so I really was appreciative for that act of kindness. My Honda Element is not a truly high clearance compact SUV but it is also not a low clearance Vehicle.

I do have a secondary exit path and I travel with a long handled harden shovel so I was in no danger of getting stuck but I did appreciate the easiest exit being re established for me by that driver 🙂

I didnt know there was a new section about politics, but was wondering why there was so much political horsesh!t showing up in the daily digests recently and why those discussions werent shut down. If this is the new trend I also dont foresee hanging around.

I felt the same way. Maybe it boosts traffic and ad revenue, but whatever the reason it seemed like it was time to disable the daily digests.

^^Just click on your "Handle" / Name in the Top Line......That's YOUR Account....."Account Preferences" controls the Digest...............It's all there

^^Just click on your "Handle" / Name in the Top Line......That's YOUR Account....."Account Preferences" controls the Digest...............It's all there
That will turn the digest on or off, but as far as I can tell it won't exclude the politics forum from the digest. (Can't imagine why anyone would want to do that though) (KIDDING)

I put the ignore option on that political section shortly after it opened up.

I would rather talk about the weather 🤣🤣🤣🤣

So I'm trying to plan a trip to the Dominican Republic. I've done things like that before, and always wanted to do it again. I didn't expect to feel this nervous about it, but I guess it has been a long time (when the #$%^& did I get so old???).

I want to get around on public transportation, which they have plenty of, but most of it is not the kind of bus lines that have websites LOL, you have to be prepared to wing it. And of course I'd rather go to "non-touristy" places (whatever that means in 2024) but the things I want to do, kayaking and snorkeling (at least, the places where it's easy to do that), are mostly in the tourist areas. Also, my gimp ankle is still gimping a bit and I have to work around that.

So I finally decided, keep it simple, don't try to do everything or get too clever with the "off the beaten path" stuff, just pick a few fun-looking things and relax. If it works out, then I'll try to pull an @frodo2222 and move there. And if I do that, then I can get more ambitious and check out all the other things eventually.

It's not as cheap as where frodo is (Nicaragua), but would still definitely stretch out the old Social Security better than I can here. I've been dreaming of doing it for years, and now that I'm done with the volunteer fiasco :rolleyes: it's time to actually do something about it, yikes! Wish me luck.

Such a luxury really to be able to even think about doing something like that. Glass = definitely half full. ¡Thanks for listening!

So I'm trying to plan a trip to the Dominican Republic. I've done things like that before, and always wanted to do it again. I didn't expect to feel this nervous about it, but I guess it has been a long time (when the #$%^& did I get so old???).

I want to get around on public transportation, which they have plenty of, but most of it is not the kind of bus lines that have websites LOL, you have to be prepared to wing it. And of course I'd rather go to "non-touristy" places (whatever that means in 2024) but the things I want to do, kayaking and snorkeling (at least, the places where it's easy to do that), are mostly in the tourist areas. Also, my gimp ankle is still gimping a bit and I have to work around that.

So I finally decided, keep it simple, don't try to do everything or get too clever with the "off the beaten path" stuff, just pick a few fun-looking things and relax. If it works out, then I'll try to pull an @frodo2222 and move there. And if I do that, then I can get more ambitious and check out all the other things eventually.

It's not as cheap as where frodo is (Nicaragua), but would still definitely stretch out the old Social Security better than I can here. I've been dreaming of doing it for years, and now that I'm done with the volunteer fiasco :rolleyes: it's time to actually do something about it, yikes! Wish me luck.

Such a luxury really to be able to even think about doing something like that. Glass = definitely half full. ¡Thanks for listening!
Great that you are taking the leap! I actually visited DR since my nephew has a triples in non tourist area he rents out...He had a motorcycle to use for me so it was easy to get around but I found the beach at least in his areas were a good 1/2 k to 1 from the main road.. Beautiful place to visit for sure but due to being a island EVERYTHING is more expensive AND one must fly but it is gorgeoud=s add the waters are great!IMG_20201013_160818.jpg

oooh, looks great ... where is your nephew?
I don't actually know the name of the town.It's about an hour and 15 minutes from the airport.I remember that, but he's not there.He lived there for a while he build the tripe legs and then he decided things were too expensive and it was too isolated , so he moved to Argentina Build a house there that he bought that meat at work and I'll travel back-and-forth to the US once every 4 to 5 months.I'll work here a few months.
he rents the places for 2 to 3 hundred a month