2014 Chevy Express 2500 Van Build: Luisafernandes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bdog1 said:
How do you apply the plastic pins? By drilling first I'm assuming?

Yes a pilot hole, there like a pop rivet deal, but you just tap them with a plastic hammer instead of a rivet gun.

Thanks Bob for posting the info. on reflectix. Good read!

And I can get those at lowes/Home Depot?

Dino said:
I think Bob was trying to get the idea out for others. Op, your van is looking sweet, are you going to put a vent in before you put in the ceiling?

Hi Dino!
Yes, before I finish with 1/4 plywood I'll install a Fantastic fan with rain sensor, and maybe I'll wait for the cables from solar panels.

More than two hours to finish two panels. Sheesh!
a9uhe5e2.jpg

Every time I see pics of a cargo van being insulated I wonder if there would be benefit in insulating the small space in the ribs of the van? Was thinking you could duct tape the openings and squeeze some of that aerosol insulation in a can stuff to fill in that small gap. It might only make an insignificant difference though idk...

Yes, just trying to get the word out. You really are doing a great job and it's going to pay off for you!
Bob

I was planing on going with Reflictix over the foam, but since the benefit is minimum, maybe I'll go with yoga mats as a sound deadener...

Maiden voyage last night. Could've slept better but at least didn't have to drive 2 hours home and 1 1/2 back this morning!

Slept two days in the van. The second day was much better. I cracked one front window just so slightly and the windows didn't fog up as much. Now I just installed the window rain-guard and ordered the Fantastic fan with rain sensor. Also just installed window tint, 5% in the back and side, and uv protective in the front.
Also finished my pink insulation. Next step, most likely will be yoga mats over it for sound deadening.
yqy2a6yz.jpg

byzupa5e.jpg

e3ejerej.jpg

gu9esedu.jpg

vepy2a5a.jpg

I'm not sure what yoga mats are like, but I used the "weight room floor" piece together mats on my van floor and have been impressed! They show very little wear even under the drivers pedals after over a year. My theory was it would be easy to replace a damaged/worn section if need be. Now I'm thinking of ways to run up the wall with it too!

Yes, I know well what those are. One time I did my whole basement with it.
Yoga mats you can find at places like fitness stores or even Walmart. I'm going (planing on) to use them over the pink insulation to help deaden the sound. They come in various thicknesses and are made of some type of close foam.

Still trying to decide what to do with the rib cavities on my van, so today I decided to begin insulating a Coleman Extreme 5 days cooler with leftover Reflectix and some foil foam.
e9aqe9u8.jpg

enupe4yb.jpg

e9u8eha7.jpg

de2e3ybu.jpg

tu4a9usy.jpg
unudasyn.jpg

I would put the reflctix on the outside of the foam, as it isn't insulation but a thermal barrier. Reflect some sun heat away from the box before it gets to the foam.

LeeRevell said:
I would put the reflctix on the outside of the foam, as it isn't insulation but a thermal barrier. Reflect some sun heat away from the box before it gets to the foam.

Yep, that's the plan. I'll then finish the whole thing with plywood.

wow nice work. did the foam bend to match the curvature of the walls or did you have use relief cuts? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
wow nice work. did the foam bend to match the curvature of the walls or did you have use relief cuts? highdesertranger

It bent with some persuasion, by holding firm against the wall, and the use of foil tape.
And for the ribs, I think I'll use leftover pieces of foam to stuff inside the cavities. It's better than nothing I believe.

Great job so far! Nice execution!

FWIW, Tyvek is a moisture and wind barrier, like for rain, but not a vapor barrier. It is designed to breathe, unless there is another version that I'm unaware of. It's a good product, but I don't believe there is any gain to be had in this application.

I just measured the ribs on my GM cargo van, a few years older than yours, and the distance from the outer skin to the inside of the ribs is 2". When I do mine, I am going to glue the Reflectix, shiny side out, to same 3/4" insulation. I will then mount it flush with the inside ribs, creating about a 1" airgap between the assembly and the outer sheet metal. I will probably then use some good ole' Willy style coroplast for a small R value, cleanability, and reflective surface. That could change if I think about it too long!

Anyway, great thread and thanks for posting all this!

Lafnbug, thank you for the comments. If I did it again I would leave an air gap also. The problem is that in spots you'll have to cut around ribs, and wheel well, and this and that, and you'll end up cutting small pieces, and that's not easy to hold off the van walls. Hope you can do it. I might still rip everything out and start anew. Maybe...

I believe some well placed spacers and finesse will get the job done. At least I hope! I will be documenting my build as well for the benefit of others. Well, I hope it's beneficial, as this will be my first attempt.

My project will probably be more wasteful of material than yours, as I will strive to have one piece of each material between each rib, rather than trying to piece it in. I think what you're doing is fine, and will be worthwhile. Even if you leave it as-is (and I would), I doubt there will be a significant difference in temperature modulation between our two vans. In fact, I have considerably downsized my plans for insulation, as I think there is a law of diminishing returns and going overboard will cost you valuable interior space. After all, like Bob will tell you, there is little that can be done with the floor. Since our vans are elevated off the ground, the floors are subject to cold air and hot asphalt. I am focusing more on trying to keep heat out, not in, as it is easier to add heat to a van than remove it.

I think ventilation, and copious amounts of it, is far more important. Ambient outside temperature air, brought into the van, where you are shaded, with some auxiliary fans to aim at you. If you haven't seen it yet, check the thread I started called "Ventilation Thinktank", where SternWake waxes poetic about his Muffin Fan Madness. I am going to employ a few of his tactics.

Good luck, and I will watching your progress!

Where will you mount your Fantastic Fan? I plan on having a fresh air intake somewhere up front coming thru the floor, and exhaust as far to the rear as possible, while still leaving room for my 3 solar panels. The idea is to get air moving across the entire house side of the van, for maximum air change. I'm still stewing on all the possibilities, but was curious what your thoughts were...

Insulation merely SLOWS the transfer of heat, from one side to the other. There's nothing I know of that will slow that transfer down by 12hrs in a van application. So you can't hang onto that nice 70deg night time air all day!

Reflectix is a mirror for radiant heat; I wonder how it would work if applied UNDERNEATH the van floor, shiny facing down? It would probably have a minimal effect, because after you parked, the ground would eventually cool underneath you. Who knows, maybe I'll try it!

Lafnbug, thanks for the comments and for following!
I never done this before, everything is new to me. I did lots of reading -different van builds on you tube, our own forum here, all the people who tirelessly answer the same question over and over every time a newbie comes on board- and lots of thinking, and double thinking, and triple thinking...and more thinking. Maybe lots of overthinking. I found that when I actually got the van and decided; this is what I'm going to do, then things became a little easier.

Lafnbug, sorry I posted prematurely before.
I just got my Fantastic fan today, next step deciding where to put it. I'm leaning more towards the front, maybe centered and across from the side doors. Why? Because if I ever cook in there, the stove will be in that general area. But your idea of placing it in the back and having a vent in the front is very interesting. I'll have to chew on that one. It's something I'll might do myself.
Last nigh was in the eighties when I went to sleep, and all I did was crack the two front windows down about two inches and I was comfortable enough. Slept all night.
The Reflictix, as far as I can tell, does not have a shinier side, both look the same to me.
When are you going to start and what van are you going to use? Sorry forgot if you already mentioned it.

No time for the van, finishing the cooler insulation. Next I'll build a plywood box to keep everything together.

tugerupu.jpg

e2ahasur.jpg

a2aqeqez.jpg

It's gonna be hard to get the beer outta that cooler with those rocks on there!! :D

Seriously....nice work!! :cool:

It's an 2002 Chevy Express 2500 with a bomber safari rack. I am a contractor and work out of it every day, for now. Has some miles, but has been a good vehicle, other than fuel mileage. It's also starting to rust (I'm in MD), so as I've been investing more $ and thought into this project, I may leave it alone and build out another, newer van. Not sure yet... I'm going to continue to gather parts for a while before I begin.

My initial plan was to do as you are considering with the fan towards the front, then building some standoffs and putting a vent behind my rear license plate. But my solar set-up will not work with this arrangement, so I'm thinking about forgoing the roof vent altogether and bringing in all my air from under the van through ductwork of some type, aided by The Muffin Fans, 1 blowing in, 1 blowing out. This way I can blast air in any weather with no possible leaks, and it retains 100% stealth. I am currently researching possible parts for this now - the sticking point is finding a way to integrate the fans with 4" PVC pipe. Maybe Fernco's. I may use something different and lighter in weight if I can find it. If it comes down to it I have a friend in HVAC repair that can build me anything I need.

If possible, I am going to integrate an exhaust hood over my cooking area for the exact reason you listed. I want to try to keep things as clean as possible, and also not steam up the van!

Latest posts