2014 Chevy Express 2500 Van Build: Luisafernandes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My nice workout clothing can't be machine dried so this will do until I find another way;
7672baf0df9273134adf94954096663e.jpg

Got tired of waiting to install the roof vent to finish the ceiling, so I went ahead and did that this weekend.
Also stared the cabinetry over the bed, from the existing cabinet all the way to the back door. Doesn't look like much yet but the 3/4 by 1 1/2 poplar strips screwed to the wall and ceiling will serve as attachment points.
Here's some picks;
00201735c9a6be5a27b22509f0b0d8b4.jpg

8168ae98ff805c1662de4d56969028de.jpg

fda23da65ddd49c43cc8e7b15ec3828d.jpg

8af2d4b90adeae1787b7504afc78592c.jpg

03a651ef5811ba02a224663c1d3a58f9.jpg

455890ead5a819715bc1213a91b112f4.jpg

Began building over the bed cabinets today, and should be able to instal it tomorrow. I'll do the same on the other side another day.
There's only so much room in the vans finite space, and molding that space to fit my needs is a challenge best taken one bite at a time. The challenge is to figure out the essentials, then add from there. For me the bed and main cabinets to store food, water and possible batteries were essential. From there I can then add as I see fit, and room permitting.
Here's the pieces stained and waiting wipe on poly;
e3c51275eaacd8cfe38b9fe4de12a4b2.jpg

7a6a91d7c4ccf839177f00c97778b406.jpg

Also here's a latch I installed on the side and rear doors for security. Mainly for when I take the vehicle for service;
be3ee8e17eb47f09752df2b07b83b1b2.jpg

a3e46fc057c66377020399953a8483fb.jpg

And dividing the bed from rear storage I uses two rods and two sets of darkening curtains cut in half;
c349035e9e882be145bfa94fc9613096.jpg

fa386366b16e910c906134bda3e1d4b1.jpg

1a1d22159d4f636a3d59d88233d0bdc0.jpg

This way when I open the rear doors nobody sees what's up front. And when I'm in bed I don't have to see what's back there either.

Rainy day in the Poconos, so I just practiced my sleeping and movie watching techniques. It's paying off, it it! Eventually I'll be a pro at it. : )
In reality during the week I never watch anything and don't really miss it. I get up at 5am, drive 2 miles to work, eat breakfast and get ready for work at 7am. Work till 3:30pm, sometimes more, then go to the gym and depending on the day, I do 4 miles running and 7000 meters rowing, then swim for awhile. Dinner comes 2 to 3 hours later, and by 8 or 9 pm I'm in bed sleeping.
I so far haven't missed having power in the van, (though I wish I did!) and even if I did, by the time I eat dinner and park for the night I'm so tired all I want is a good nights sleep.

This looks amazing!

Great stuff!

Please keep up the pictures!

Also- please let me know what the dimensions of that bed are and if you can sleep comfortably on your back- does your head or feet touch the walls?

Suzanne said:
This looks amazing!

Great stuff!

Please keep up the pictures!

Also- please let me know what the dimensions of that bed are and if you can sleep comfortably on your back- does your head or feet touch the walls?

Hi Suzanne!
Thank you for the kind words. The bed is about 36" wide by 6' or so long. I say 6' or so because at the point where the bed plywood platform meet the wall, and where the top of the mattress meet the wall there's a few inches difference due to the walls curving in. I'm 5'10" and I fit very comfortably with a little room to spare.
Also it's funny that we posted in each others post at the same time. : )

looking good luis. are those self closing hinges? are you planning on using anything else to hold the doors closed? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
looking good luis. are those self closing hinges? are you planning on using anything else to hold the doors closed? highdesertranger

Thanks highdesertranger! All my hinges are self closing. They don't really need anything else to stay close so far, though on the big cabinets I also have magnets to help keep things close, which I might also put on the ones over the bed.

Bdog1 said:
Great progress. Thx for sharing.

As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day. Progress comes as weather and time allows...and money.
It's my pleasure to share my imperfect, by-the-seat-of-my-pants project as a way to maybe help others make their projects better. : )

I appreciate your photos! You are giving me a nice visual for my own plans to do similar narrow cabinets over my kitchen area, which is along one side at the back of my van, and over my storage and cooler area opposite.

thanks for the reply luis. so the magnets are working fine? am researching all these ideas and appreciate the feed back. again nice job on the build. highdesertranger

sassypickins said:
I appreciate your photos! You are giving me a nice visual for my own plans to do similar narrow cabinets over my kitchen area, which is along one side at the back of my van, and over my storage and cooler area opposite.

: )
Glad I can help.

highdesertranger said:
thanks for the reply luis. so the magnets are working fine? am researching all these ideas and appreciate the feed back. again nice job on the build. highdesertranger

The magnets work great. Even without them I don't think the door would open with the type of hinge I installed. But just in case I went ahead and installed them anyway, and I'll probably installed some on the other cabinets.
They sell other stuff that will help keep the cabinets closed, but I chose magnets. Just happened to be what a picked, you may choose something different.
I do like the combination self-closing hinge and magnet, never had the doors open once on me. : )

Luisafernandes said:
: )
Glad I can help.

The magnets work great. Even without them I don't think the door would open with the type of hinge I installed. But just in case I went ahead and installed them anyway, and I'll probably installed some on the other cabinets.
They sell other stuff that will help keep the cabinets closed, but I chose magnets. Just happened to be what a picked, you may choose something different.
I do like the combination self-closing hinge and magnet, never had the doors open once on me. : )

Sorry for the misspelling. I tried to fix it but the system wouldn't allow it.

Today I cut a few more pieces of 1/2 plywood for some finishing touches and for the cabinets opposite side of the bed.
The over-the-bed cabinets are 9 1/2 inches deep up to the point where the bed divides from the trunk/garage area, then it tapers to 4 1/2 inches, and that has become a pain in the but for me.
Here's why;
62215556614d875c639fe392a124ddf7.jpg

Even with 1/4 inch plywood it still won't bend to accommodate the angles I unnecessarily created for myself, so I enlisted the help of some heavyweight friends to persuade the plywood to see things my way. I think by next week we'll be on the same page.
And these are the other pieces. All with a purpose.
8b15af6187704c9a49bfb8c7f647cec2.jpg

I already stained them and tomorrow wipe on poly and maybe install.
Next week is supposed to be nice weather so I might install the Fantastic vent. Maybe. Perhaps. Truth is, I'm terrified of cutting into the roof. I know it has to be done but, still, it's not an easy decision.

Really enjoying watching the van progress you did an awesome job on the build. Thanks for keeping us updated and looking forward to seeing more progress. Cant wait till I can start my van build a few of the things you done im gonna try to repeat and do on my build

tater259 said:
Really enjoying watching the van progress you did an awesome job on the build. Thanks for keeping us updated and looking forward to seeing more progress. Cant wait till I can start my van build a few of the things you done im gonna try to repeat and do on my build

Tater259, thank you for the kind words. The pictures I take of the progress are twofold; one, I document everything so I have a record of I I did and how I did it for future reference, and two, I can share with you guys and gals out there. And if I can help at least one person, then it's worth it.

Well, as you may have noticed, or not, the weather's changing. Even though it got to the upper seventies this weekend, the nights are in the lower-forties to mid-fifties. That means the stain and wipe on poly take a lot longer to dry. A couple weeks ago the poly would dry in about three hours. Today, from 5am to 1pm and still wasn't completely dry. Gave it three coats and will have to wait till next weekend.
The hardware on the cabinet finally got installed though;
784bce77ff9b91d3c37313bad5101c7b.jpg