2014 Chevy Express 2500 Van Build: Luisafernandes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zzzzzzz.......

No place like home!

Are you planning on building any shelves/closets over the bed or elsewhere for storage? Just curious...

Lafnbug said:
Zzzzzzz.......

No place like home!

Are you planning on building any shelves/closets over the bed or elsewhere for storage? Just curious...

Zzzzzzzzyes! Planing on having cabinets over the bed area as big as I can make them without restricting (i.e. banging my head) egress and ingress.

I'm curious as to how you'll eventually be insulating and covering the exposed areas of side doors, wheelwells, ceiling-to-wall and floor-to-wall, and exposed frames?

LeeRevell said:
I'm curious as to how you'll eventually be insulating and covering the exposed areas of side doors, wheelwells, ceiling-to-wall and floor-to-wall, and exposed frames?

I've insulated most everything, including the wheel wells. The doors I'll insulate after I'm pretty much done with most essentials.

Things have became a bit more civilized.
u5eqybez.jpg

Hectic two days, just never enough time!
Installed cabinet doors today. Still have to take them down next weekend to apply one more coat of poly, and and to even up the doors since the carpenter that I hired didn't leave the sides square. Can't ever find good help these days, not even for a "good meal".
Here's the doors with hardware and magnetic door close thingy whatchamacallit;
ananage2.jpg

u5usanyq.jpg

9apy3y3u.jpg

Also cut a piece of 3/4 plywood for the garage area as an elevated platform for my bike. I had an extra Thule roof bike holder, removed the piece that attaches to the forks, screwed it down to the plywood, then cut about six inches from the U shape metal piece that was holding the whole thing together and screwed that to the plywood also to hold the back wheel.

2yharaty.jpg

And since I don't have solar yet here's something I got at Walmart; LED lights with wireless remote.
ypyhehyn.jpg

3ugejy3a.jpg

Little by little it's becoming a tiny home. Now I just need the courage to install (cut through the roof) the Fantastic vent. Also need to put in some more storage cabinets above both ends of the bed. Insulate the doors, yes I didn't forget those. Curtains for the windows, and dividing the bed from the garage/trunk area.

Great progress.

LEDs are the best. Nice touch w/ remote.

Try 1//"of styrofoam between your bed frame and mattress if you have leftovers around.

1/2". Sorry.

Bdog1 said:
Great progress.

LEDs are the best. Nice touch w/ remote.

Try 1//"of styrofoam between your bed frame and mattress if you have leftovers around.

1/2". Sorry.

Thanks! Already have foam between the mattress and plywood, but thanks for the tip.

We used ThermaCels and then Refelctix, and then Plywood on the van walls. At first we used masonite, but found it frustrating to screw things directly into it. You can see our pictures and progress on our website. We also posted a video on how we installed the Fantastic Vent fan on youtube. We will also be posting a video very soon on how we installed the house battery. We have been living in our van on the road since mid-March, and it is so wonderful and cozy!
www.thejohnandmeghanshow.com

TJAMS said:
We used ThermaCels and then Refelctix, and then Plywood on the van walls. At first we used masonite, but found it frustrating to screw things directly into it. You can see our pictures and progress on our website. We also posted a video on how we installed the Fantastic Vent fan on youtube. We will also be posting a video very soon on how we installed the house battery. We have been living in our van on the road since mid-March, and it is so wonderful and cozy!
www.thejohnandmeghanshow.com

Hi there!
Funny you came here and saw my built. When I bought my fantastic fan (not installed yet. I'm waiting for better weather. I.e; hesitant to cut into the roof) I looked online for ideas and your video was by far the best one I saw. So thanks!

You might discover you'll need more than magnets and the springs in the hinges to keep your cabinet door closed. The motion of the van will cause contents to shift. A left turn could dump everything out.

MrNoodly said:
You might discover you'll need more than magnets and the springs in the hinges to keep your cabinet door closed. The motion of the van will cause contents to shift. A left turn could dump everything out.

: ) so far it's holding amazing well. The type of hinges I got want to stay closed pass a certain point, together with the magnets the doors never opened once.

@ Luisa - great reporting on your build, thank you!

@ TJAMS - I look forward to your house battery video. This is my next step too and I don't quite have it figured out yet. Well, that is putting it mildly... :s

After a few hectic months building the van I'm coming to a point where a little less work is more.
I'm doing finishing touches here and there. Adding boxes for storage and just figuring out what I need and don't need.
I need a lot less than what I have but, I still have a lot of stuff. I won't need all the work clothing, but I'll need some. Same with work boots, not all will fit.
I'll try to take some pics of the trunk/garage rearranged with storage boxes tomorrow.
Yesterday and today I trimmed the cabinet doors, stained and gave it a final coat of poly. May not look much different but it is. And I know it's not perfect but the carpenter I hired didn't square things too well.
Here's some pics of before and after;
e2u8ysat.jpg

y5ynaqyq.jpg

Also ordered and installed a wheel holder. With all the space, finding a spot to place my wheel without damaging it was all but impossible, not now.
zyvuseha.jpg

vasamy4a.jpg

And here's a close up of what's holding the bike. Cannibalized pieces from a Thule bike holder;
e3emynu6.jpg

udety3aj.jpg

havydara.jpg

Here's a few pics of my storage boxes starting in the trunk/garage area;
e2apa6u7.jpg

More storage behind the first boxes under the bed;
5ahemyja.jpg

And inside the living are, under the desk;
e2yzere6.jpg

And inside the top box I have smaller ones to store different items;
y9ahajuq.jpg

Here's under the bed;
6e8a6upe.jpg

very well organized luis. I keep my tools well organized after that not so much. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
very well organized luis. I keep my tools well organized after that not so much. highdesertranger

Thank you! It's going to be a work in progress as I decide over time what fits best, what needs to go and what stays. Time and usage will dictate the final set up.

Easy day on the van. Installed door jamb and added a light sconce with wireless switch above the desk.
7ypahy4u.jpg

game5u9u.jpg

6eqejeme.jpg

The door jamb was installed to better secure the door and to prevent light from filtering through the gaps.

Installed a couple more lights with wireless remote (can't have enough of them) and I just might get some more.
aduguguv.jpg

Installed cabinet hardware;
e7ygudeq.jpg

Both sets of screws included were too big so I just cut them with a handsaw;
zy8amupy.jpg

Then predrilled the doors and used some blue painters tape to catch the sawdust;
ameha2yr.jpg

Also finally found a place to install the smoke and carbon alarms. A few weeks ago I bought an alarm that combined both in one but after just a few days it malfunctioned and I ended up buying these two;
5uhunyze.jpg

My next project is more storage cabinets above both ends of the bed, from the existing cabinet, to the board dividing the bed from the trunk/storage area. Something like this;
zajuve4a.jpg

But first I must install the remaining of the ceiling. And I can't do that till I install the Fantastic vent. And I can't (or won't) do that till I get a safari or other other type of roof rack. So we'll see, sooner or later I'll get to it.