2014 Chevy Express 2500 Van Build: Luisafernandes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another weekend. Time to rest from work while wishing I didn't have too anymore. Lately it's really getting to me, the monotony of it all.
On the bright side it's raining and I'm nice and cozy in the rolling earth-ship. And I bring to you...
... another episode of cooking in the "Rolling Earth-Ship[emoji768]" [emoji1] I came up with the name the other day. I think it has a good ring to it, what you think?
So, on this episode we are going to make an all organic (except the peas[emoji33]) vegetable soup/stew.
3a4b514530d5aca271567072b39c7470.jpg

Mushrooms.
cdbf50bac05a5a892dfbc6934ebde0a8.jpg

Red bell pepper.
5d8db3656b489eba84cb1a6f5c045d0d.jpg

Potatoes.
ea3fe5cc8f72a6033be36a7d73f7b091.jpg

Carrots, union and garlic.
217357f028f41b4e9715616f527deb8a.jpg

Spices.
f6e3f1762a66046cd9886501f2a6448c.jpg

Vegetable broth, peas, garbanzo beans and Portuguese extra virgin olive oil.
5f978e880b45045438c16ba84484d19f.jpg

Heat the pot. Olive oil. Cook onion and garlic a few minutes till slightly brown. Throw in everything else. Season to taste, and let cook on low for a couple hours.
b501a389026f011fd9fd74f0a795eafd.jpg

And voilà, um, um, um[emoji779]️add some fresh garlic bread and orange juice and its a meal[emoji4]
70 plus degrees in the rolling earth-ship, low 30s with rain outside[emoji91][emoji5]️
Netflix,
0203ba25a2de38d6d475a218bb0c992c.jpg

Some ice cream[emoji33]
And I decided to make the book shelve 14" deep to accommodate some of my books. I'll show it complete tomorrow.

Delicious. You have your fan/vent right above your cooking shelf, right? How is that working out?

sassypickins said:
Delicious. You have your fan/vent right above your cooking shelf, right? How is that working out?

Hi sassypickins! The fan is kind of at the edge of the bed right under where a cook, but I didn't actually cooked this meal in the van. I did prepare it in the rolling earth-ship (aka van[emoji604]) but this type of food would stink up the place a little too much, so I used the house instead.
I can tell you that while I was cutting everything up in the van, the thought occurred to me that when I don't have the use of the house, and I'm hungry enough for a home cooked meal, cooking this type of food in the van will happen, regardless of smells.
I believe this fan would suck up any unwanted odors though [emoji724][emoji90][emoji604][emoji56]

I was at my local grocery store a couple days back and noticed they carry your favorite brand of OJ - "Naked"! Small bottles though...... I'll have to try some.

LeeRevell said:
I was at my local grocery store a couple days back and noticed they carry your favorite brand of OJ - "Naked"! Small bottles though...... I'll have to try some.

LeeRevell, sorry if I misinformed you, but I don't always go Naked. Actually I've never tried Naked OJ. My favorite brands are Tropicana and Florida's Natural.
When I'm not going "Naked", I'll go OJ, and once in a while unfiltered virgin apple juice from whole foods stores. [emoji102] just realized that sounds bad[emoji54] but I'm just talking about fruit juices [emoji56]
Thanks for thinking of this stranger while shopping [emoji5]️

LeeRevell said:
Well, sometimes finding a mention on a forum of a certain product leads me to something I find I like. :)

I hope I like going "Naked", it's not as bad as it sounds[emoji779]️[emoji106][emoji4]

LeeRevell said:
I do have a realistic question for you. As you continue cooking meals in the van do you notice any lingering food odors?

That's the reason I've avoided cooking meals like my last one inside the rolling earth-ship. But, I have leftovers, therefore I'll be reheating it this coming week and will post the results soon after.
So far with all the meals I've cooked, and they're pretty much all documented here, I've had no odors I can discern. Of course if someone else comes inside they might smell something I don't, but I guess that goes with anyone smelling what others can't smell because they are used to it.
Having the roof vent is a definite plus on having none or very little smells. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji4]

The shelve that I had above the desk turned out to be highly inefficient now that I'm finally ready to bring some of the 700 plus books inside the rolling earth-ship.
Here's what I had before;
45467a0c9d2fccb94c5c8927935a6a73.jpg

Now I can fit those two white containers from front to back plus some books;
c38ee04e220dd6a6e0cd03d519e0f33a.jpg

And I brought my 5 gallon bucket inside, finally.
8101c6e6a1409144a04bb0be720f3313.jpg

Yes, that makes sense....lower it and bring it out to the edge, a good use of your space there. I don't have a clear vision yet about upper shelves or cabinets for my van. So I think I will live with without them for a while and see if I end up with stuff all over that has no home and adjust from there.

sassypickins said:
Yes, that makes sense....lower it and bring it out to the edge, a good use of your space there. I don't have a clear vision yet about upper shelves or cabinets for my van. So I think I will live with without them for a while and see if I end up with stuff all over that has no home and adjust from there.

Actually sassy, all I did was bring it out more.
Your van has a lot more headroom than mine. Can you standup in it? You can draw a basic layout of where you want things to go. I started with the bed. I knew I wanted to sleep across the wheel wells. From there everything else took shape.
Here's a simple sketch I did in the beginning.
c088cefa4d460fd43748e58a8522772a.jpg

Eventually other things developed, like the cabinet by the door and the over the bed cabinets.
Start with something you know you need and won't be changing and add from there. We'll be here to help[emoji106][emoji4][emoji604][emoji573]

Ah, ok.

Did you put in the sink yet? You know what would be cool is a photo or two capturing the whole scene like from the driver's cab through the door or something where we can kind of take in everything, is that possible?

Thanks for the encouragement!

sassypickins said:
Ah, ok.

Did you put in the sink yet? You know what would be cool is a photo or two capturing the whole scene like from the driver's cab through the door or something where we can kind of take in everything, is that possible?

Thanks for the encouragement!

Sink...yeah [emoji42] il dream about it. Actually I been trying to figure out where I could possible put one in, and I just can't find one except, maybe in front of the side door. Maybe something that can fold up and out of the way. We'll see. It's not that critical though, I can use containers to do what minor washing I have.
As far as pictures of the whole scene, I do have some from the back looking in but not with this much completed build. I will try to do that, thank you for suggesting it [emoji106][emoji5]️
I had written a few posts back if anyone would be interested in me making a video tour of the van, I never got a response so I never did.

Honoring the request by miss sassypickins, or Mrs, assuming she's a she [emoji85], here's some wide shots;
7ffa03a6d796a33c176bb5522a70a110.jpg

8f3d27d09fd9f95c4a396389ba192d15.jpg

Sorry about the messy bed but I'm in it trying to go to sleep [emoji42]

I just got the app so I'll try to improve the quality a bit next time.

Luisafernandes said:
I had written a few posts back if anyone would be interested in me making a video tour of the van, I never got a response so I never did.
I'd like to see a video tour Luis.
You have a lot of cabinets. Do the doors fly open when you drive?

HarmonicaBruce said:
I'd like to see a video tour Luis.
You have a lot of cabinets. Do the doors fly open when you drive?

Thanks [emoji445]Bruce. My doors never opened once. The hinges are self closing and there's also latches, some are magnetic, some are like this;
2b3b77eaf6d39119027ab3276470794e.jpg