2013 Transit Connect Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akblack10

Reaction score
Hello, I have been on this awesome forum since 2011 and have traveled in a Truck Camper and Tacoma with ARE Cap for the last few years.  Both vehicles have served me well and I will continue to use them to see new places and seek new adventures in the years to come... but... 
I have been interested in a small, economical, more fuel efficient run around town vehicle that I could use as a daily driver and convert myself.  I have had my eye on the Ford Transit Connect for a few years.  A few weeks ago I purchased a 2013 Ford Transit Connect, with 70K miles.  
I have been driving it for about 10 days and so far my combined MPG (Highway / City) has been 27 MPG.  It drives great and seems like it will be a great platform for a conversion.  I like the fact that is has sliding doors on both sides, has large rear cargo doors and I can pass through from the cab to cargo area.

I started my conversion last week and will post updates as I go... My plan is to use the vehicle as a daily driver, for short trips, specifically with my kayak.

5KzPn1.jpg

Above and below, the 2013 Ford Transit Connect as purchased.

O8ipdk.jpg

Zt32yh.jpg

First Mod was to remove the contractor's shelving and the cab to cargo divider.

Below, the vehicle without the contractor's shelving and divider.

Okk5m2.jpg

1VIIK8.jpg

The next step, below, was to set-up the vehicle for use with my kayak.  I added a Malone folding kayak rack.  It attached to the existing contractors ladder rack already on the vehicle.  I simply needed to buy 4 longer bolts of the same thread and it attached in about 5 mins.       I have been using the Malone folding kayak rack for about 3 years on my Tacoma and it works very well.  It's available on multiple vendors, like Amazon, for about $160.00.

Q3NYgC.jpg

KdP23Y.jpg

Below, The Malone Folding Kayak rack in the folded down position.

cUVEbN.jpg

What a flee you are building for yourself. That's great, it's like the right tool for the right job. It'll be fun to follow the conversion progress.

Nicole

I wish they made a Transit Connect with a real 4x4 set up. Not really possible with their front wheel drive drivetrain, but I like the size and set up overall.

I finally got the kayak on the Transit Connect and I think it fits pretty well.  It was easy to load, it took only about 10 mins to load by myself.  Next addition is to add a 2" hitch receiver so I can carry my mountain bike.
-AK

xkSrOI.jpg

BigT said:
That looks a lot like my boat, only shorter.  :cool:

BigT, I'm not sure what Kayak you have?  Mine is a 12" Wilderness Systems Tsunami.  I bought it in May of 2015, and really like it.  I have a Innova Safari inflatable that I have used for years but as you know, inflatables have some limitations.  I want to do some touring and the 12" length is a pretty versatile length.  Who knows, maybe on my next trip to Cali, we can meet up to paddle!
-AK

akblack10 said:
I finally got the kayak on the Transit Connect and I think it fits pretty well.  It was easy to load, it took only about 10 mins to load by myself.  Next addition is to add a 2" hitch receiver so I can carry my mountain bike.
-AK

xkSrOI.jpg

I have a rack for my kayak on top, however at 5'3" I may be too short to really keep it up there.  I am in the process of building out my 2013 Transit too.  I am designing it so that I can transport my bike inside.  When parked, the bike goes outside.

akblack10 said:
BigT, I'm not sure what Kayak you have?  Mine is a 12" Wilderness Systems Tsunami.  I bought it in May of 2015, and really like it.  I have a Innova Safari inflatable that I have used for years but as you know, inflatables have some limitations.  I want to do some touring and the 12" length is a pretty versatile length.  Who knows, maybe on my next trip to Cali, we can meet up to paddle!
-AK

Yup, I thought it was a Tsunami 120.  Right now I've got a red 140, and I've had two Tsunami 145's.  One was a Duralite.  Good boats.  :cool:

Ackidge.  If you have a lot of disposable income, Thule makes the "Hullavator" for easier loading on tall vehicles.  I plan to get one as soon as I move and no longer have carport clearance issues.  

I dig it. My G/F has been thinking about doing this with a Transit Connect. 27mpg is also awesome. Looking forward to seeing the progress..:)

Steamjam1, I too enjoy the MPG of the Transit.
-AK

Howdy, I was on a trip for the past 2 weeks to Yellowstone and the Tetons with my niece and nephew, what awesome landscape we have in the USA. We went in my F350 with Bigfoot Truck Camper and it was a great time. I must say, 3 people in a truck camper is a little tight, much better with only 2. I slept on the dinette and it was snug!
I will re-start my Transit Connect build this coming Monday!
-AK

Last weekend, I finally got around to installing the "Hidden Hitch" on the Transit Connect.  It was a pretty easy install and will allow me to carry my mountain bike or a cargo box on future travels.
-AK

uYvpT9.jpg

zFVCfb.jpg

4JOfaf.jpg

Nice.  I installed a hitch like that on my TC a couple of months ago...  Not sure why they call it "hidden".  You can plainly see it, clear as day.  :D

BigT said:
Nice.  I installed a hitch like that on my TC a couple of months ago...  Not sure why they call it "hidden".  You can plainly see it, clear as day.  :D

BigT,  I am hoping you can share some info on flooring and insulation from your conversion.  Do you have any recommendations, would you do anything differently?
-AK

akblack10 said:
BigT,  I am hoping you can share some info on flooring and insulation from your conversion.  Do you have any recommendations, would you do anything differently?
-AK

I didn't insulate it at all, but after spending 6 hours in 103 degree heat at Moffett Field yesterday, I sure wish I had.  :s
I idled the engine and ran the AC most of the time just to keep from frying!  

The floor is 3/4" plywood with some cheap Home Depot indoor/outdoor carpet stuck to it.  If I were going to full-time in the van (I'm not), I'd replace the carpet with vinyl flooring.  The carpet feels nice on my feet, but it soaks up anything you spill and is a lot harder to clean up when/if you do.  

For what I use the van for: Camping trips and occasionally spending a night or three at work when it's too far or too late to drive home, the van works fine just the way it is.  

Were I going to full-time, I'd definitely get a full-size van so I'd have more room for my stuff.  
Problem is, I want good gas mileage, and you ain't gonna get that with an F-250.  

Everything's a trade off.

AK-

Two years ago I put this down on the cargo floor of my Transit Connect-

http://www.etrailer.com/Cargo-Van-Mats/BedRug/VRTC11.html?feed=npn&gclid=CO_akdfej80CFQhkhgodl_wFaQ

It does everything they say and weighs nothing compared to plywood, etc. I regularly have muddy mountain bikes, wet fishing/kayak gear inside the van. Doesn't absorb water, provides cushion for hands/knees, easy to pull out and sweep off once in awhile, and actually dampens some road noise. I balked at paying $130 for it, but I'm glad I did.

SVan said:
AK-

Two years ago I put this down on the cargo floor of my Transit Connect-

http://www.etrailer.com/Cargo-Van-Mats/BedRug/VRTC11.html?feed=npn&gclid=CO_akdfej80CFQhkhgodl_wFaQ

It does everything they say and weighs nothing compared to plywood, etc. I regularly have muddy mountain bikes, wet fishing/kayak gear inside the van. Doesn't absorb water, provides cushion for hands/knees, easy to pull out and sweep off once in awhile, and actually dampens some road noise. I balked at paying $130 for it, but I'm glad I did.

Sean, Thanks for the recommendation!
-AK

I know this build is going rather slow, but I'm trying to juggle numerous projects right now!  I finally built a sofa / bed this weekend for the Transit Connect.  It is NOT my design, I saw a similar design here on the Forum and tried to copy that idea as best I could and modified it a bit to fit my needs.  I used 2x2s, with 2'  and 1' wood screws with metal brackets.  It took the better part of a full day to build.  I still need to sand is some more so the slats slide out more easily and I will stain it as well.  The picture below is the sofa in the narrow position, 16' wide, it expands to 32' wide in the extended position.  It's 15' high and 70' long.  Weight is approximately 20 pounds.
Let me know if there are any specific questions.  Safe Travels to all!

-AK

0lU50e.jpg

O6VO7E.jpg

qmLKq9.jpg

pPQfyn.jpg