2013 Ford Transit Connect build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeinVA

Reaction score
Hey all! I've got a fresh slate to work with. Bone stock 2013 Ford Transit Connect XL that will be converted into a camper van. I've got a lot of learning to do and a fair set of skills to work with. I've got a few ideas about floor plan, but I am leaning towards a futon style bed. I also want to add solar power to juice up anything we may need and add a water tank to feed a sink and shower. I've got a lot of time to research and plan everything, so I'll be taking my time and doing it correctly. This is a fun weekend type vehicle that will also double as my daily driver. 
IMG_0398.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0403.JPG
    IMG_0403.JPG
    1.8 MB
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    1.7 MB
  • IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    1.8 MB
hahahaha hey Mike I was going to tell you in your intro that we needed pics. you read my mind. highdesertranger

Wow... very good van and that looks like a really good sized model to work with. With winter coming to VA and the rest of us, I'd take a lot of time planning. LOL

Been dreaming a lot and have multiple piles of crumpled up paper with designs. So far I've settled on a futon style bed like in the pictures above. began the build out this weekend while we were snowed in here in Southern VA. Also got a new Sony touchscreen radio installed with Apple Car Play, because I really liked the idea of having a media center....too bad the Transit only comes with 2 small speakers up front HAHA!

IMG_0560.JPG
IMG_0540.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    1.4 MB
  • IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    1.8 MB
And a little more structure added so you can get a better idea of the build.

IMG_0564.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0564.JPG
    IMG_0564.JPG
    1.6 MB
Love it!

I'm 80% finished my Transit Connect build but I'm living in mine fulltime. Feel free to check out my tour video. Link in signature below.

Primer and a drawer!

IMG_0579.JPG

working on the drawers and then walls next week. Every time I write out my plan of attack, I always find something else that needs to be done before I do something else... lol

Attachments

• IMG_0579.JPG
    IMG_0579.JPG
    1.2 MB
Well, a week long vacation and several long building days and we have a lot of progress on the Transit Connect! Installed walls with a jersey material covering them, 24" LED smart tv, 1 of 3 USB port clusters, lots of paint, dual AGM battery setup with starter battery isolator, fuse panel, LED lights (not working yet), MaxxAir Fan, some 3" speakers and some shelving with more storage on the way. Photos in the following posts!

IMG_1366.JPG
IMG_1367.JPG
IMG_1368.JPG
IMG_1369.JPG
IMG_1370.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    834.1 KB
  • IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    725.9 KB
  • IMG_1368.JPG
    IMG_1368.JPG
    851.3 KB
  • IMG_1369.JPG
    IMG_1369.JPG
    785.2 KB
  • IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    714.6 KB
It's funny how many little things we find in our own builds that are just "off" a little bit. I was a carpenter in a past decade of my life and have found the little tricks I learned very useful for the van build. Especially the custom work that I did so many years ago.... NOTHING IN A VEHICLE IS SQUARE!!!! hahaha I'm glad that everyone is enjoying the build. Even my girlfriend is having some fun with it. The most challenging part, I've found, is keeping myself from ripping everything out and starting over when I decide I wanted something to go somewhere else. I learned that "good enough" really is good enough, especially when working on custom projects. If everything was perfect, the job would never be complete. I can't wait to get the rest of the electrical system in place so I can slap some plywood down for the benches! Then at least I wont have to sit on the floor when I am eating my lunch at work. LOL! 

The next build I do with be natural wood planks because luan is no fun when you need custom everything. Probably better for insulation too. I'll probably get a bigger van too... The Transit Connect is a great platform, but I've got so many ideas that just wont fit.

Cool! I like how you built storage space inside the door.

Dgorila1 said:
Cool! I like how you built storage space inside the door.

It just makes sense to open up the door and either insulate it (did that too!) or use the space for something, even if it is just a small amount of storage, it all adds up. Planning on putting a wall up over the bare metal and framing out the storage space and adding some netting to it to hold our hammock and extra first aid kit. The other side will have the same thing, but will probably carry my Oh Sh!$ bag. You know, the bag you grab when it hits the fan and you need to get out quickly. lol

Got some more fun things built and installed! Dometic CD030 drawer fridge, Insignia LED roku tv, 1000w pure sine wave power inverter, 12v battery meter and power inverter power button, 2 cup holders for our Tervis cups that go everywhere with us, and some trim pieces. Everything works, thankfully. The next steps are custom vinyl cushions ($$$), custom roof rack to hold solar panels and awnings. The rear doors are an entirely other matter, I've got to figure out how I want to do the overhead storage and do a lot of fun measurements to get them just right, since we all know how square the inside of a vehicle is.... lol I also have to figure out how to frame the rear windows correctly. MIght be a glue and clamp job or it might be a simple bolt in... not sure I want to bolt anything to the door frames around the windows. I might be able to get away with light gluing and a prayer haha.IMG_1487.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1487.JPG
    IMG_1487.JPG
    749.7 KB