2-Burner Propane Stoves

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantRobertson

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a 2-burner, propane stove top. I think I would like to get one that is designed for being able to use on a picknic table, with the wind shields and all that. I will then build a little nook for it into my countertop, so it will look kinda like a built-in stovetop and not slide around when I drive. This way I will have the best of both inside and outside cooking with one appliance.

I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible.

Any of the Coleman camping stoves, use a bulk adaptor in order to run off a 20# tank, save the little adaptor for the 1 lb bottles when you want to run it on a picnic table.

There was a Enigmatic Nomadic/CheapRVLiving YouTube video that compared two stoves. I liked the one Kendall (sp?) had so I went and ordered that one from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Camp-...450390103&sr=1-1&keywords=coleman+perfectflow

Unfortunately, looks like the price went WAY up as I got it for sale at $58.89. But it's an awesome stove and even off the sale price it's just a bit over your limit. That being said, eBay probably has some killer deals even if Amazon doesn't.

One side is a burner and the other is a large grill - best of both worlds! I've used the grill portion for cooking burgers and steaks as well as throwing a pan on top and making grilled chicken and sun dried tomatoes with penne pasta in a pesto sauce. YUM! Comes with the top cover locks into place for stowing and that turns into a wind guard when ready to cook. One subjective con I have is that the top cover isn't domed so it can't be used when you're cooking like a traditional BBQ grill, unless you like squishing the heck out of whatever you're cooking! I come from the school of "lookin' ain't cookin' " so I'm used to closing the lid down but if you don't mind then it'd be perfect for you. Either way, I highly recommend it.

freerangetortoise hit the one I was going to recommend. So call that two votes. Or three, since it's a Coleman.

ahh_me2 said:
Any of the Coleman camping stoves, use a bulk adaptor in order to run off a 20# tank, save the little adaptor for the 1 lb bottles when you want to run it on a picnic table.
Yeah, I'm partial to Coleman myself. But that is based on my experience with their products some 35 years ago. Are they still just as high quality?

I prefer the older versions, as they had the sandwiched style burner as opposed to the modern ones that just have a bunch of holes in them, kinda like a modern barbecue burner. They tend to not last as long.

I have been using a roughly 30 year old 2 burner Coleman daily, for the past 9 months and it works exceptionally well.

The other thing about newer ones is the sheet metal is a much lighter gauge.

Around here the old ones can always be found on Craigslist for 35-50 dollars.

Even new though, at Walmart here they have them starting at $60, which is still a good deal if it lasts 2-3 years

the problem you are going to run into is the portable needs high pressure into the adaptor. the gas system on your RV is low pressure. the adaptor is actually a regulator, the end of the adaptor that screws into the stove is a special Coleman fitting that I have not seen anywhere except as part of the regulator. highdesertranger

A high pressure hose, 20 lb tank and hose adapter can be had reasonably to connect to the Coleman stove.  That old of a rig, the stock tank may be toast.  If it is still usable, an adapter can be put on it to run the stove outside.

I haven't had time to take the RV to a propane dealer to see if the existing tank is still any good. I'll probably get a 20gal tank to tide me over.

highdesertranger said:
the problem you are going to run into is the portable needs high pressure into the adaptor. the gas system on your RV is low pressure. the adaptor is actually a regulator, the end of the adaptor that screws into the stove is a special Coleman fitting that I have not seen anywhere except as part of the regulator. highdesertranger
So, are you saying that the stoves come stock with a regulator/adapter that is intended to convert a high-pressure source to the low pressure actually used by the stoves? So a low pressure tank WOULD work, except the only way to get gas into the stove is via said adapter, which is the only thing that fits the proprietary connector on the stove?

I assume, from your statements, that running low pressure gas through a regulator does not work.

Do ALL portable stoves ONLY and ALWAYS have this proprietary connector? Is it impossible to get an adapter that is not also a regulator?

I may have to call Coleman tomorrow.

Coleman is going to tell you that their stoves are not for use indoors, this includes RV's. yes you can not double regulate. I know of no "low pressure tanks", and finally yes the only way to get gas to the stove is though the factory adaptor with the proprietary fitting. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Coleman is going to tell you that their stoves are not for use indoors, this includes RV's. yes you can not double regulate. I know of no "low pressure tanks", and finally yes the only way to get gas to the stove is though the factory adaptor with the proprietary fitting. highdesertranger
It sounds as if you are implying that the RV tank would be high-pressure, but regulated at the tank. So all the gas available in the lines would be low pressure, thus the problem with said adapter.

I cut the little brass line in half,spliced a piece of plastic tubing about 4 ft long in the middle.Now we can use our stove on the little coleman cylinders or on our 20#tank tree.

I have a 2 burner similar to this less expensive one.  I got it a long time ago when it was $10 bucks. (now the cheap ones are like $30.)  For a wind guard I would make that out of sheet metal with some piano hinge purchased at a liquidation store for cheap.   (that stuff can be expensive)

Van_Stove.jpg

The gas tank input on mine is at the left side which makes it perfect for my cabinet. Mine has a 1/4 inch wire grill on the top and the legs under it are 1/4 inch wire and the fold under the stove and look like a "V" on both ends.

Now on my metal counter I've drilled 4 holes and installed "J" bolts with small coil springs and a retainer nut
at the end so these fastenings are spring loaded.  When I'm ready to put it in the Van from outdoors use
I set it up on the counter and reach under the counter pushing up on the J bolts and turning them 90 degrees to where the hook of the "J"  fastens down over the 1/4 inch wire leg at the bottom of the "V".

Thus the stove doesn't move when held in this manner.   Removing it to take outdoors takes only a few seconds, using the reverse order.  If you can't find "J" bolts you could always use small "U" bolts where you cut one side off and make the "U" into a "J" shape.

That's how I handled in for my Van.

eDJ_ said:
I have a 2 burner similar to this less expensive one.  I got it a long time ago when it was $10 bucks. (now the cheap ones are like $30.)  For a wind guard I would make that out of sheet metal with some piano hinge purchased at a liquidation store for cheap.   (that stuff can be expensive)

Van_Stove.jpg

The gas tank input on mine is at the left side which makes it perfect for my cabinet. Mine has a 1/4 inch wire grill on the top and the legs under it are 1/4 inch wire and the fold under the stove and look like a "V" on both ends.

Now on my metal counter I've drilled 4 holes and installed "J" bolts with small coil springs and a retainer nut
at the end so these fastenings are spring loaded.  When I'm ready to put it in the Van from outdoors use
I set it up on the counter and reach under the counter pushing up on the J bolts and turning them 90 degrees to where the hook of the "J"  fastens down over the 1/4 inch wire leg at the bottom of the "V".

Thus the stove doesn't move when held in this manner.   Removing it to take outdoors takes only a few seconds, using the reverse order.  If you can't find "J" bolts you could always use small "U" bolts where you cut one side off and make the "U" into a "J" shape.

That's how I handled in for my Van.
That is a really good idea. Not only can't it slide, but it can't bounce either.

And you are right, I can easily make my own wind screens.

Are these style stoves more likely to be usable with low pressure gas?

Pretty much all camp stoves run high pressure with integral regulator.
This is because they are meant to run off a small propane tank, outdoors, not hooked into an RV system.

The exception to that would be RV accessory stoves that you mount on the side of the RV and hook in to the low pressure system.

Are you trying to find something that runs off of low pressure ie; off the RV regulator? Or are you going with a 20# tank or similar portable tank?

There are many adaptive methods for running these small camp stoves off 20 # tanks as opposed to the green 1# bottles.

GrantRobertson said:
Are these style stoves more likely to be usable with low pressure gas?
The stove that came with the MH was made to work on low pressure gas directly as the tank in the MH has the pressure regulator at the tank and all the propane plumbing is low pressure lines.  

Portable stoves are only manufactured to work on high pressure gas AFAIK.  Any stove CAN be made to work with low pressure gas because that is what these stoves burn already.  High pressure bottle into a regulator that converts it to low pressure gas and the valve that controls how much gas flows.  Being we are talking about a highly flammable gas, this is not something to be be undertaken lightly.  I would only want someone qualified to make a modification considering the consequences if not done properly.  I don't think a qualified person would make this modification as it would open them up to liability (my two cents).

A stove is only going to work on what it was designed for.  

I think my original suggestion is what you will be going for.

GrantRobertson said:
Yeah, I'm partial to Coleman myself. But that is based on my experience with their products some 35 years ago. Are they still just as high quality?

Not really. My family had a Coleman stove while I was growing up, it lasted a good 30 years and was still going strong when I stupidly sold it. I bought a new Coleman stove/grill and it is cheap junk. All sheetmetal is beer-can thin, burners are hokey stamped metal. The lid had no support and snapped off the hinges when a strong wind blew.

I haven't seen anything much better, I've heard the Partner stoves are really nice but run $200-300.

ahh_me2 said:
Are you trying to find something that runs off of low pressure ie; off the RV regulator? Or are you going with a 20# tank or similar portable tank?

My long term goal is to run it off of the/a tank bolted underneath the RV. However, till I can get that checked out, possibly replaced, and plumbed out, I will be using a 20# tank.