1997 Dodge 2500 Cargo 5.9 V8 178K miles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasWoman

Reaction score
Asking price is $2850 but will easily come down to $2500

He is taking it to his mechanic within the hour to check it out.
He bought it off the original owner but decided to use a minivan for his business instead.
Sounds like he is ready to get rid of it.

Previous test driver said it might need a new rearend because he heard some whining noise.
Owner thinks it is just road noise but said only $300 to replace rear end if needed.
Also said that cable retractor on the heater/ac slide is not working when going from heat to a/c.
Heater and a/c are fine, just the control slide is not working right.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.
I searched this forum for this type of Dodge but found nothing.
Sorry not trying to clutter up this forum .. just getting serious about buying now.
I have the cash for this one. What do you think?

Thanks...

:heart: :heart: :heart:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/d/1997-dodge-cargo-van-one-owner/6725763377.html

Sure looks clean. Can't offer anything for this particular vehicle but it is very pleasing to the eye. Means it wasn't abused but doesn't guarantee mechanical issues. I hope it works out great for you

Think I'm gonna pass on this one.

It's just too dang old.
I don't have any business getting a van like that.
Probably break down the first day on the road.

Oh well ... next!

van looks very nice and clean -

not much changed on those vans so easy to get
parts if needed - lots of them still on the road-

i have a 1997 dodge 2500 van and i can say it can be a pain due to its weird naming. depends where you go they have different names for it, in fact Firestone told me the van he was looking at didn't exist, he grabbed the vin number in order to bring it up in their system.

i bought mine at a buy here pay here place, about $1300 out the door, told of issues after i purchased it that wasn't disclosed but those issues ended up being minor really.

it was abused but i think (they said it was but had no records) it was taken care of mechanically to a point till the end. it runs good but is kinda cold blooded on the trans at first, if you don't let it warm up it makes a noise in at first but if you switch it from one to another once it stops, done this since i got it 3 1/2 years ago.

they tried using wood to hold on electrical connections which was not good

i have put about 500 or so into it, new cat converter, rotors, brakes, hubs, etc and i don't use it often but it works when i need it to, would drive it more if it had working ac.

the mileage listed on it is 192k and i would not worry about jumping into it and driving it cross country. to my knowledge the trans and engine are original.

many of its parts are also compatible with jeeps of the same years, half of my parts i've gotten for it and the same parts i bought for my jeep.

but since you passed its mute but so far i've liked the van, i think i liked my ford econoline e250 better but i had more issues with it than the dodge but i did use it for paper delivery so thats a form of abuse. the dodge i would not use for paper delivery, its a conversion so many blind spots for that job plus the windows are too small and ill positioned for chucking out papers.

other names for it
dodge ram van 2500
dodge b2500
dodge van 2500
and a couple of others kinda crazy

I don't know where you got the 300 bucks for a rear end but the only place you are going to get a rear end for 300 bucks is from a junk yard and that is not installed. highdesertranger

Owner told me it would be $300 for the rear end and $120 labor.

I called a mechanic in the area.
He said more like $1300.

He said to tell the owner that he would send his rear end jobs to him if he can do for $450.

It's not my problem anyway.

Someone else bought the van.  Lucky guy.

You really want a trustworthy seller, more important than how the vehicle appears.

Any hint of a liar I walk no matter what a great deal it seems.

A thorough inspection by your own independent trusted mechanic is worth every penny, even if it costs 10% of the purchase price, and even if you have to do it a few times before you decide to go for it.

Unless you plan on spending thousands anyway on an overhaul before using it.

Agree 100%.

That even goes for some large dealerships, too.  

Never buy a van or car unless taken to an impartial professional mechanic (unrelated to the seller) for a thorough inspection.

**especially** dealers

The average rando off the street is IMO much more trustworthy than those jokers, I avoid like the plague