Vanabode Jason Odom bought Dodge ProMaster Hightop Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billyidol

Reaction score
I just read that on the Vanabode forum.  He's still a huge fan of the Chevrolet Express 2500/3500 cargo vans for stealth.  As he's gotten older, he really wanted the ability to stand up with his wife.  I've started checking out the Dodge ProMaster vans, and I thought they would all be $40,000 plus, but I actually found a few as cheap as $16,000.  I would want to get the extended length with the high top.  I wonder if Jason has ever thought of just putting a Fiberine hightop on the Chevy instead of the ProMaster.  I wouldn't even touch a diesel Sprinter van if you paid me.

John

I agree, I would stay as far away from a Sprinter diesel as I could. To me a Chevy/GMC 2500 with a Fiberine high top is the best way to go. Still not sure about the added length a extended wheelbase offers. A bit harder to park, but the extra 20” is awesome.

In Promaster terms:

"Extended" means extended body, only available on the 3500 159" wheelbase.  Does not fit in a standard parking spot, and has more rear overhang.
"Long wheelbase" (LWB) = 159",  12' cargo deck.  Fits barely in a standard parking spot. <-- I think this is the one Billyidol is talking about.
"Regular wheelbase" (RWB) = 136, 10' cargo deck.  Fits easily in standard parking spot.  
"Short wheelbase (SWB) = 118" <-- I've only seen two so far.  Can make a u-turn in a standard parking spot :p

Express + high top is a great platform.  

During my research process I did some back-of-envelope compararsons on TCO over 5 years and from most expensive to least expensive:

1. Express/savana with aftermarket high top
  2. Ford Transit
  3. Express/savana with factory top
  4. RAM Promaster
  5. Nissan NV2500/3500 <-- also has the longest warranty and most ground clearance. 
I didn't even run the Sprinter numbers because my brain doesn't process numbers that high.  :p

They are all fairly close. The point I am making is if the initial cost for a Eurovan is holding one back the longer term picture might look different.   Of course, if you prefer one over the other then a few grand over 5yrs doesn't really matter.

What's the longest version of the Promaster that is available with factory full height standing room?

Nissan?

Transit?

I have no idea who you are talking about. the Promasters are front wheel drive. yuk. highdesertranger

I spent 30 sec wading through marketeering garbage and maybe 15 MB of photos, then gave up.

If anyone happens to just know the answers to my questions, I'd appreciate it.

John61CT said:
What's the longest version of the Promaster that is available with factory full height standing room?

Nissan?

Transit?

Promaster: Long body high roof: 20' 10". Interior height: 74"

Nissan: 20.05'.  Interior height: 77".

Transit: Long body: 22' 2".  Interior height: 77"

PS: Sportsmobile.com provides a lot of additional specs for comparison including engines/trannys, turn radius, etc.

KathyC said:
Promaster: Long body high roof: 20' 10". Interior height: 74"

Nissan: 20.05'.  Interior height: 77".

Transit: Long body: 22' 2".  Interior height: 77"

PS: Sportsmobile.com provides a lot of additional specs for comparison including engines/trannys, turn radius, etc.
Excellent, thanks much!

Gee thanks a lot, MrNoodly !

I just went to the Promaster website and saw something that, now seen, cannot be unseen.

It's a vision of my Casita mounted on the back of one of those chassis cab or cutaway vans.

Entrance through cutout in front bathroom of Casita, Casita wheelwells lined up over the Promaster axle, Casita body sitting flat and level on frame of Promaster... Nooooo, make it stop !

Don't worry; it's just a flash; it'll pass pretty soon..... I think.

Johnny

If you can make a horse hauler, anything's possible.

http://files.websitebuilder.prositehosting.co.uk/fasthosts4900/image/helmsley-horse-racing14.jpg

helmsley-horse-racing14.jpg

(Pic of a horse hauler)

John61CT said:
I spent 30 sec wading through marketeering garbage and maybe 15 MB of photos, then gave up.

If anyone happens to just know the answers to my questions,  I'd appreciate it.

It's called doing your own research.

Johnny that wasn't a dream; it was a nightmare waiting to happen.

highdesertranger said:
 the Promasters are front wheel drive.  yuk.  highdesertranger

I bought mine for the front wheel drive. I love the giant windshield and the short turning radius.
~crofter

Damn, I have seen 3 and for less than $20K.....Well, after I get everything paid for then maybe later....

crofter said:
I bought mine for the front wheel drive. I love the giant windshield and the short turning radius.
~crofter

Me too!  Just got a 2016 136" HT wheelbase.  Flew to Colorado and drove it back to the west coast.  1,500 miles at almost 19 mpg (it is fully built out) and it drove like a sports car.  Turns on a dime and gives you change.  Visibility is excellent (huge windshield and fantastic mirrors).  I love this thing!

Different things matter to different people. :)

KathyC said:
Me too!  Just got a 2016 136" HT wheelbase.  Flew to Colorado and drove it back to the west coast.  1,500 miles at almost 19 mpg (it is fully built out) and it drove like a sports car.  Turns on a dime and gives you change.  Visibility is excellent (huge windshield and fantastic mirrors).  I love this thing!

Different things matter to different people. :)

Years ago I had a VW van that had this happy vibe.  My PM is like that- has a happy vibe about it. 
My van is named Blimpy. What's yours named?
~ crofter