How I bought my van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy Hawk

Reaction score
I'd like to share how I got my van 6 months ago as it might help someone. My first AA sponsor use to sell used cars and taught me this tip on buying a car from a used car dealership.
He said on the lot, a car that sits is a car that's $hit.
Anyways, I found this used car dealer in Oregon that had 25 to 30 white Chevy cargo express vans. He had ads all over Craigslist.
After watching for a few weeks, I saw them drop the price on one from 8k to 7k.
A 1996 GMC Savanna 2500 with 92k (one previous owner)
I called and made an appointment to look at that van.
Making an appointment is important for two reasons, one is so the van is ready and not buried behind other vehicles and two is to set a time table.
When I showed up a little before 11am the salesman said the van is all set, I said great because I have another appointment at 12 to look at another van, (this one a private sale.)
So I look the van over then took it on a test ride, out on the highway and it ran great.
Returned and went in the office, salesman says what do you think?
I said it's great, I'll take it.
He says how are you going to pay.
I said cash. And I put 5k cash on his desk.
He laughed and said no F*ing way.
I said okay and grabbed my money off of his desk.
As I got up he said wait! I wouldn't take that but let me see what the boss says.
So he calls the boss on the phone, and says he's on his way to the lot.
I reminded him of my time constraints (which is true btw, I was going to look at another van).
The boss shows up and we talked briefly he said I'll sell it to you for 6,500.
I told him I only have 5k. He says okay look, go get another grand and I'll sell it to you for 6k.
I told him I live 90 miles away from here, when I leave here, you'll never see me or my 5k again. (That's the magic line right there)
So he's banging away on his computer and says okay but you have to pay the dealers fees and taxes, etc.
Told him I can't do it, after the 5k all I have is $30 and I'll have to put that in the van's gas tank to get it home as it's just about on E.
So the boss gets up shakes my hand and says half heartedly have a good day and leaves the office.
I looked at the salesman and said I don't know what just happened there, did I get it or not? He says ... you got it.
a9417521a4c98fff0894bd851d92d6f5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

the only thing different I would do is not make an appointment. you want to see how the vehicle starts cold if they know you are coming they can go warm it up, jump start it, or what ever. highdesertranger

A couple of things... (dang HDR, you beat me to it..LOL):

-If the dealer (or any seller) has it warmed up and ready for you, that's a negative in my opinion. I would be leery of a van that I couldn't start and listen to that isn't stone cold. There may be noises or other problems that go away after it's warmed up.

-92k on a 23 old van is only 4000 miles/year. That dealer is obviously selling retired cargo vans that were used by businesses or service companies. Even though they may have low miles, many service vehicles sit in all kinds of weather idling for hours and hours. So the wear on the engine is more than it seems and could be more than a higher mileage van that was used mainly on the highway. This is true of ex-police cars,etc.

Since US made vans have generally pretty reliable drivetrains, you may be fine for many years. Only time will tell. JMHO

Awesome deal. IMHO Chevrolet's will run forever with good maintenance, but true about the idling. It has probably been idled.   ~crofter

I can't say about the van itself, but just reading the story of how the price went from $8K to $7K to $5K off the lot is a good one,  :thumbsup:. I wasn't so lucky with my "deal".

Qxxx said:
...reading the story of how the price went from $8K to $7K to $5K off the lot is a good one,

Yes, he got a great deal.  Proves once more that "Cash talks, bullshit walks".

There was a car lot here in SF called :Horse Trader Al: to make a long story short this guy was shifty x 10 overweight cigar smoking putz. But he had a 1956 Chevy Station wagon I wanted, clean sheet metal all the chrome and he asking $125.00 (1965) when inspecting the interior he made a point of lifting the back seat to show how clean it was and saw him toss a ring out of the corner of my eye pretended not to notice it He hustled me back to talk selling. I had plans to pull the motor in my driveway cherry picker set up. It smoked like crazy I offered 50 bucks he scoffed and countered $75 begrudgingly handed him 3 20s and a ten we shook . That was my favorite car for many many years.

Great job and story.

I usually prefer low/medium mileage one owners where I know more history but life is full of compromises.

Even at $5000 he didn't lose money, and he will very likely make it up in spades on the next van. He probably bought 10-20 vans in one lot, at an auction for one $$.