1988 Ford E-350 High top campervan - price thoughts?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevylevy

Reaction score
Hello! Looking to buy my first campervan and I found this 1988 Ford E350 High-top campervan that ticks most of my boxes. I normally stay clear of older vehicles but the engine and transmission are rebuilt and I love the overall aesthetic. That said, $9800 seems a little high for a 32 year old vehicle. Thinking of making an offer (I'm not a car person), what would be a more realistic price? $7K?

https://thevancamper.com/post/1501/1988-ford-e350-high-roof-camper-van-for-sale

Thanks!

It looks decent, but seems a little steep IMHO.
Although already converted vans aren't cheap.
It's a 460 big block, plenty of oomph, but it's not gas sipper.
I like older Ford vans.
It does say OBO, any idea how long it's been listed?

Yes my humble opinion is it’s a lot more money than it’s worth considering the year. In all those years only 106,000 miles it hasn’t been driven much. Does he have paperwork on the transmission and engine rebuilds he’s had at least four years so the rebuild engine how many miles does it have on it. After you and someone you hire look it over. Yeah I’d make them a lowball offer and see where he goes. It does look nice. I’d like to have information on what those amenities he listed are is it a 12 V fridge is there solar to charge those batteries I didn’t see that. So you asked one question and I answered it with a lot more questions. 10 grand can get you a pretty nice vehicle so compare other ones that are priced in that range. And my last advice is what I always say about buying a used vehicle a trusted mechanic needs to look it over. What you pay a good mechanic to look at it is well worth it. I just looked again and I see it’s a California vehicle I’ve been told by friends that if it’s a California vehicle you add about 20% to the price it is the most other states that’s what I’ve heard that doesn’t mean it’s right.

Also, those older Fords have 5 digit odometers, so beyond 99,999 miles, it's hard to say for sure.

It's a nice older conversion and since it's in CA probably not way overpriced.

-"Engine rebuilt by previous owner" can mean many things but probably doesn't mean it comes with a warranty.

-Rebuilt trans but is the warranty transferable? Will you stay in the general area where that shop is located in case you needed to make a claim?

-Yes, a 460 will gulp the gas. How much travelling do you plan to do?

-Squeaking suspension can mean it needs more than shocks.

-No solar or generator to charge the batteries.

-If you'll need to pay shops to have a 33 yo van fixed, it can be very expensive to maintain. It's usually recommended to buy the newest van with the lowest mileage that your budget allows unless you're able to do most repairs yourself.

PS: Slider side-doors on old vans can be problematic. Seems they all eventually get fouled up.

Now a days there are more and more shops that won’t work on older vehicles I’ve come to find out.

Wow, thanks everyone! There's a lot of good information in there. I didn't realize the mileage was so bad on these older vans. That said, I want to use it mainly for weekend trips, so this isn't a deal breaker.

Uncle Todo - I noticed the listing via Facebook and it went up about a week ago. Good tip r.e. the odometer.

slow2Day - wise words, thank you. I'm going to reach out to the seller and see if they can wiggle a little bit on the price...and ask a bit more about the engine, trans and suspension. I'm still on the fence about getting an older van - you're right, the cost of repairs could add up. I'll try and check the van out in person and take it from there!

With a 30 year old vehicle the rubber door and window seals probably don't work very well. While the engine and transmission might've been refurbished, there are various bearings and bushings, pumps (power steering, water, A/C...) and such on their way to wearing out. And I'd want to check out the condition of the fiberglass top. How sun baked and brittle is it?

Indeed, X2 above!
My 23 Y.O. van only has 62k miles, but lots of other odds-n-ends of things just due to age.
If you're a DIY mechanic/repairman and have some decent basic tools, I'd say go for it.
But if you're paying to have things done, I think you'd quickly spend up to buying a newer one.

Wow 9+G's for a stand length Ford van hightop from 1988? That is ALOT-A steep. And to make it even worse its a 460, so it'll get 12mpg tops assuming your going downhilll with a tailwind.

Van and RV prices have gone though the roof.