Opinions wanted: 1989 Ford E350 Hi-top w/460ci & double overdrive

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that thing wouldn't get 22mpg going down a 10% grade with a 60 mph tailwind. highdesertranger

masterplumber said:
The Ford 460 with a C6 trans  When I drove it for work, loaded all the time and not a lot of highway driving, plus a 1000 foot elevation gain on the way home every day, I averaged 9.5 mpg. My son took it on a 7000 mile road trip once, and kept it to 55 mph, and averaged 12 - 13 mpg with a best tank right at 14 mpg. I help the real world info helps with the decision - bottom line, great vehicles but not so great mileage.

Interesting. Because those Class B vans that are setup with really high top (where there's a bed upstairs) and bathroom, shower, counter, kitchen, etc.; those only get around 10mpg also.

So if you load up a van w/a smaller V8 full of stuff to live in, it ends up getting similar MPG as one with a 460, due to the chugging it takes to get it moving. Maybe a little better with the smaller V8 but compared to a heavily loaded Class B, it gets the same MPG it seems. Then benefit withe 460 is that you get a serious beast with power on tap.

GrayWhale said:
Interesting. Because those Class B vans that are setup with really high top (where there's a bed upstairs) and bathroom, shower, counter, kitchen, etc.; those only get around 10mpg also.

So if you load up a van w/a smaller V8 full of stuff to live in, it ends up getting similar MPG as one with a 460, due to the chugging it takes to get it moving. Maybe a little better with the smaller V8 but compared to a heavily loaded Class B, it gets the same MPG it seems. Then benefit withe 460 is that you get a serious beast with power on tap.

I have to question the 10 mpg. I have a 2002 GMC Savana 2500 with the 5.7L engine. It's fully outfitted except for the larger holding tanks (I carry 8 gal fresh and max 2 1/2 gray water) but I make up for the weight differences with my +/- 300 lbs of batteries.

With the 24" high top, which is higher than the Class B's, I got 16 mpg averaged over the entire trip back from AZ to Ontario last spring.

I suspect that driving habits have a lot to do with that 10 mpg than anything else. If you're out on the interstate doing 80 mph and waiting until you're 100 ft from a stop sign to put on the brakes, then you get the mileage you deserve!!

GrayWhale said:

I have an '86 class-b Ford. It's fully loaded and it gets 15mpg on nice, flat highways. 17mpg when I'm easy on the throttle. It's powered by a 5.0 and AOD, so there isn't a bunch of power. When I'm driving up even the most modest grades I haveto shift out of OD (mostly to save the OD) and the MPG drops to 10. I chose this RV over the other ones I was considering mostly because of it being a fuel injected small-block.

Sometimes I do wish it had a larger engine as I have been overtaken by huge school buses full of kids while going up hill on freeways.

yup, in hilly country with a heavy vehicle with a lot of frontal area, sometimes a big ass motor does make sense
me and a friend had 1970 chevy pickups, mine a small block, his a 454 (it was, IIRC, a 3/4 ton
I beat him fuel efficiency wise despite having a 4 speed with granny low and 3.73 rear end (start off in 2nd, don;t go over 55 :D)
untill it was time to pull heavy loads
then we were about even....except he was pulling more weight

I get 9.5 to 10mpg in our Isuzu diesel pulling a 3200 pound sailboat but the truck itself is 19,000 pounds so really, not that bad.  Probably would be lucky to get 6mpg with the E350 pulling that much weight.

IGBT said:
Probably would be lucky to get 6mpg with the E350 pulling that much weight.

That right there is probably a big reason it's for sale.  
Clearly the owner wanted better mpg out of it or they wouldn't have installed the aftermarket overdrive.  

Once your van drops into the low single-digit mpg, you might as well just buy a Class-A RV.   :D

Latest posts