1978 Avion what do you think? Anygood?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peachykeen

Reaction score
Okay, On Craigs list. 1998 Avion Dodge chassie  $4500     Recently rebuilt Dodge 440 engine and transmission with about 13,000 miles on them. Roof ac works, has new gray & black tanks. Fridge works well. Picture is under Houston TX. Guy sounds straight up, bought it recently an has all repair records.  I know it is really old and a gas hog. Any input would really be appreciated. Oh tires are about 5 years old. Forgot to ask about dash air.

i couldnt find it,the only thing avion where travel trailers 1978 or 1998?

did see this though $3500
https://houston.craigslist.org/rvs/5579664674.html

00101_gFgs4BTNp1H_600x450.jpg

You're talking about a vehicle that's coming up on being 40 years old.

To my mind, that's just too old.

OK, just saw where your thread title said 1978, but the ad says 1998.  20 years old is another story.

peachykeen said:
Okay, On Craigs list. 1998 Avion Dodge chassie  $4500     Recently rebuilt Dodge 440 engine and transmission with about 13,000 miles on them. Roof ac works, has new gray & black tanks. Fridge works well. Picture is under Houston TX. Guy sounds straight up, bought it recently an has all repair records.  I know it is really old and a gas hog. Any input would really be appreciated. Oh tires are about 5 years old. Forgot to ask about dash air.

gary 68, thank you so much for your quick reply. I mis-spoke, the Avion is under Dallas posted today. Sorry. I put him off for now until I get some advice.. Wish I had a crystal ball (Dont we all)

peachykeen said:

ahhhh crap! it is a 1978. Tired and stressed. I have been looking every day for weeks and getting discouraged and jumpy and making mistakes. Need to be gone soon and just can not find what I need. My limit is $10,000 and less would be fine but it makes it tough.

Avion is Airstream's brother by a different mother !
Cult following.......very well built.
I've only seen TT's...I was unaware that they made a moho but Airstream did some so????
If it turns out to not be a scam , the price sounds like way cheap..That pic Gary posted looks very 70s to me.

if there is no rust and has paperwork on the engine/trans it sounds like a deal,if it had a 360 or 318 i would be more enthusiastic,that 440 will get you around 5-10 mpg but do better on the hills then the small blocks

looks legit only a twitter post by the same name

peachykeen said:
Okay, On Craigs list. 1978 Avion Dodge chassie  $4500     Recently rebuilt Dodge 440 engine and transmission with about 13,000 miles on them. Roof ac works, has new gray & black tanks. Fridge works well. Picture is under Dallas TX. Guy sounds straight up, bought it recently an has all repair records.  I know it is really old and a gas hog. Any input would really be appreciated. Oh tires are about 5 years old. Forgot to ask about dash air.

rvpopeye said:
Avion is Airstream's brother by a different mother !
Cult following.......very well built.
I've only seen TT's...I was unaware that they made a moho  but Airstream did some so????
If it turns out to not be a scam , the price sounds like way cheap..That pic Gary posted looks very 70s to me.

Yes you are correct. 1978. The guy selling it said his wife found it on craiges list and loved it, bought it but they already have a TT and are not using the Avion.  They drove it from FL (to TX) and had to replace the manifold. Didn't know gas mileage but said probably not good. Told me the brakes and shocks are not really bad but he would replace them if he were going to keep it. Sounded honest to me.

Gary or someone I am thinking about dash air on something that old. What about coolant, would that even be available? I like the RV but the mileage also scares me but the price is attractive.

if it hasnt been done you would need to retro fit to a modern refrigerant,best advice would be to go check out the rig in person,kick the tires and take it for a drive,check that everything works,its the only way to know if you like it or not

Dodge vans/cab chassis of that era are prone to:

Rust in the windshield pillar and passenger side main bulkhead at the door hinges. My '78 had it, my '79 had it. I could prolly make a part time career out of welding up those two spots on Dodge vans.

The electrical system is prone to shorts, and bad connections (YAY MOPAR)

The 440 engine although strong and powerfull, only gets 8mpg or so, and if its a 4-barrel carb, prepare yourself for some sleepless nights wondering if your RV will start the next morning.

Avions have a cult following. Kind of like airstream. I don't know why. Everytime I saw one for sale before I bought my Ford RV it was sold within days.

I had a 29' Sportscoach class A with the 440-3 4bbl carb 15,000 # , got 8-9 mpg and it always started (with the awesome Jap reduction gear starter I put on it ) ! Just had to keep your foot out of it when the 4bbl kicked in ,( you can tell by the "growl") ........

I'd expect you'd get better with the class C maybe even 10-12 !