Can I Have Them All - Van Options

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkrunaway

Reaction score
Hi everyone, 

I've been lurking on craigslist a while now and I am ready to finally make a move! I have a few vans to choose from, each of which would need a different level of work. Would appreciate input on the vans and m[size=small]y approach in general.[/size]

Plan: I will be building out the inside to travel in for a few months during warm weather (for now). Bed, stove, composting toilet, simple solar set up, outside solar shower. I would like to be able to stand comfortably so I will add a high top if the van I get does not have one (I have a body shop near me that does them). I like windows, but feel less willing to install them, and more willing to spend my money on a high top. I have a soft spot for the look of vans from the late 80's and early 90's, especially Chevys, but can be pursuaded otherwise.

Terrain: City travel and camping on national parks and BLM land. Ability to drive on bumpy dirt roads would be great. Driving on sand would be a treat, but we can't have everything we want now can we?

1995 Ford e350 - 110k - $2500
https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/6114324726.html
  • This is the responsible choice. Less work to finish because the seller has done a lot of work inside. He  built a bed, it has the high top and has a good amount of windows. The seller is very responsive, and I found a place to get it checked out near by. Honestly, it just looks sort of boring. Maybe something a paint job could fix?
  • From the seller via text: "Insulation vents well, and has vapor barrier. Fan is two direction fantastic. Theres really no rust under it, surprisingly clean for a ny vehicle.There was one spot that was soft on the van floor.  So i cut it out and replaced it and por15'd everything i could. Thats the only spot i saw. As for history im pretty sure im the 3rd owner.  It started life in Rensselaer as an old person shuttle, then in 2008 i think, it sold to the guy before me. He used it to tow furniture to Florida and up the coast and put about 60,000 miles on it if i remember right.He kept all those records which i should have somewhere. Mechanically its 99%.  It has a small oil drip (about a drop a day) from oil pan.  And it needs tires very soon.  I think i cooked the battery at some point but i have a spare.  Also the rear AC doesnt work, but front does. Beyond that everything works great! As for the plastic, i started building it to drive to alaska.  So i spent a cold night in it.  I found out that condensation builds from the warm humid air inside hitting the cold metal.  My fear was the insulation would get moist and mold as a result.  So i put a vapor barrier between the insulation and van.” 
  • Pictures from inside are attached to this post. 
  • FordE350-Inside3.JPG
  • FordE350-Inside2.JPG
  • FordE350-Inside1.JPG

1988 Chevy G20 Quigley 4x4 - 69k miles - $6500
https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/6074682230.html
  • This is the van I want, but it is more than I want to spend considering I would want to add a higher top. Somehow it still ended up on this list (she's just so gorgeous). I appreciated everyone's input on the 4x4 in my previous thread. 
1989 Dodge B350 - 77k - $3500
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/6080252255.html
  • I would have to add a high top, and start from the beginning inside. It's a good looking van though. 
1992 ford e350 - 75k - $900
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/6109164587.html
  • Same as above re: needing to gut and add high top. Seller has not been responsive, and I am curious as to why it is so cheap. Very close to me. 
1969 Ford Club Wagon - unknown miles - $4500
https://toledo.craigslist.org/rvs/6031712639.html
  • Windows - check, High top - check. Cool looking van. A bit old and also about 8 hours away from me by car. 
  • From the seller in an email: "i hade the block bored 10 over not thirty. wanted to make seal had a good seal. like i said there are less than 3 thousand miles on it. i had the motor built for power because we used to go to the akive fwstival in ohio and i pulled a trailer behind it. it has a hitch on the back of it. i have all the paperwork for work done on block. l ost the papers for the work i had done on the heads. i had hardened seats intalled and a small hydraulic cam put in. the transmission was built by jim buehler.. no ac and no power steering, new brakes all around. you really have to see it to , words mean nothing. ithas dual exhaust with headers. just has a starter put in. gets about 15 t0 17 0n the highway. maybe a little more.The transmission was rebuilf the same time that the ehgine and heads were done. the best thing to do if you are in the area is to stop and look at it. this will take you anywhere you want to go."
Thanks for taking a look. Any input is appreciated!

Attachments

• FordE350-Inside3.JPG
    FordE350-Inside3.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • FordE350-Inside2.JPG
    FordE350-Inside2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • FordE350-Inside1.JPG
    FordE350-Inside1.JPG
    426.3 KB · Views: 16
Gotta say I'm partial to older Fords so pretty sure I know which one I'd choose. I always thought I would want one of those after I do the truck/5W thing for a while and no longer have dogs.

I honestly did not look at all of your (good) descriptions however I did read all of the first one ([font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]1995 Ford e350 - 110k - $2500)[/font]
Do you know how many vanners would kill to get that kind of a vehicle for that price?  
+No Rust
+has receipts
+seller seems honest
+has a high top
+has the 351 instead of the 1st gen 5.4 that has some issues
+it's a 1 ton... good clearance, strong frame, better brakes...

None of the others do anything for me personally...

I appreciate the feedback, This world isn't home. I know the '95 Ford is a great option and just needed some people with knowledge to knock some sense into me.

bkrunaway said:
I appreciate the feedback, This world isn't home. I know the '95 Ford is a great option and just needed some people with knowledge to knock some sense into me.

That 69' Club Wagon is pretty old... there's more than just the supposed engine and tranny repairs to consider.  Brakes are all drum, carbed, everything rubber should have been replaced, all  window and door seals, the list goes on and on. Plus $4500...  

Your Quigley thread got several responses, most were positive about it, some worried about parts availability or toughness.  What do you want?  here are you planning on going?  No stealth to a Quigley, they are head turners...

Let us know if you buy the 95 and how it is, or whatever your choice is.

Good luck with the search.

Since you like old vans, check out my listing in the classifieds here.  Might be more work than you want but mechanically pretty darned good.  I"m in the Poconos Pa. but close to NY and NJ

Well unfortunately the seller of the 1995 Ford just backed out of our appt for me to come check out (and probably buy) his van. Already bought the amtrak ticket and everything! Just like I slowly backed down from feeling like I needed a bus, I'm now questioning whether or not I need a van I can stand in, especially if my plan is to travel in it for 1-3 month stretches in warmer weather and not necessarily live in it during colder months. Standing was really just about cooking, but if I switch to just cooking outdoors then it doesn't feel as necessary.

Decodancer, thanks for letting me know about your van! The high top is perfect, but I think the van itself might be a bit larger than I'm looking for. Still developing an eye for these things. I'll keep you in mind though.

Gee, that's unfortunate. Hope you can get a refund.  So now, what about those other two:

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]1989 Dodge B350 - 77k - $3500[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/6080252255.html[/font]

• I would have to add a high top, and start from the beginning inside. It's a good looking van though. 
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]1992 ford e350 - 75k - $900[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/6109164587.html[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Your comment of perhaps not needing the standing room opens you up quite a bit more as far as a search, lots of cargos could now work.  The main concern for you is still frame/underbody and panel rust.  Unless this is just an "experiment", in which that $900 throw a way van above could work, if its not a complete dog mechanically.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I know your geographical location is a problem, any way you could slide over/up/down to this guy's lot and take a look at this ex phone company Astro?  The pictures I looked at online looked reasonable, and there were a sh%tload of other vans in the background...[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=arial, sans-serif]Price: [font=arial, sans-serif]$4,999[/font]
[/font]
[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Specification[/font]

• [font=arial, sans-serif]Year:2000[/font]
  • [font=arial, sans-serif]Make:CHEVROLET[/font]
  • [font=arial, sans-serif]Model:ASTRO[/font]
  • [font=arial, sans-serif]Class:CLASS 3 (GVW 10001 - 14000)[/font]
  • [font=arial, sans-serif]Category:Cargo Van[/font]
  • [font=arial, sans-serif]Engine Make:Chevy[/font]
  • [font=arial, sans-serif]Mileage:47,618[/font]
  • [font=arial, sans-serif]New/Used:Used[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]More[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Seller Information[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]RT. 52 Truck Sales Website[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=arial, sans-serif][font=arial, sans-serif]4532-956 (888)
[font=arial, sans-serif]1450 New York Route 52
Walden,NY
12586 (Map)[/font][/font]
[/font]
[/font]

Latest posts