18 FEET...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4tour

While talking with "She" about a driveway alert system, I remembered something very important from my L.E. training days...&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Basically, FBI and state law enforcement studies have shown that <b><u>18 FEET</u></b> is the threshold of where an attacker (armed with a knife) can close the distance and fatally stab a victim, even though the victim (officers/agents) had a holstered gun. &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>The studies showed that the average, well-trained officer was usually toast if the suspect was within 18 feet. &nbsp;The close-in speed by the average suspect was greater than that of the average officer's gun draw. &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Try the situation with a friend, and you will see (rubber knife and empty gun please...lol)</div><div><br></div><div>In the scenario I taught at the police academy, I had the trainees lift their non-gun hand up to block the knife, and for the gun hand to just simply unlatch and pivot (with the gun hand inner elbow pressing on your side for stability and accuracy).</div><div><br></div><div>The response has a 100% success rate, assuming the shooter is capable with his/her firearm. &nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I've practiced this thousands of times and even now is still entrenched in muscle memory. &nbsp;I think I'm ok from within 8-10 feet, but I'd rather not find out...</div><div><br></div><div>Hope this gives you guys something to think about...&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>AJ</div><div>&nbsp;</div>