12 minute Shower

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corky52

Reaction score
I decide to measure the water use on my system when taking a LONG hot shower, 9.1 gallons in twelve minutes of use at 45lbs pressure and using the needle setting on the shower head that came with my flash water heater. Nice Hot water and very relaxing.

I used a blue tarp to cover the walls as I haven't gotten the final FRP up yet, but the tarp has worked well and I had no leakage. I do really like the larger size, enough room to turn around and just enjoy.

I figure a clean shower will take two to three minutes, with water going off and on for soapup, so maybe two to three gallons.

The flash water heater also kept the area warm, nice when you step out.

Corky

Corky 52, Do you have any pictures of your setup? Love to see em!

My only concern with the in-demand water heaters is that they all say for outdoor use only. Has that been a concern to you? I ask because you say it gets hot inside which means they are't vented outside at all.
Bbo

Bob is right. But as with any propane burner, stove, heater, or water, ventilation is very important.

I shower using a 2.5 gal home depot black pump sprayer by removing a gallon of water from the sprayer to a pot and bringing it to boil on the coleman gasoline stove. Then I return to hot water to the sprayer then shave, wash my hair and shower using about just one gallon of water.

one thing to consider, it takes time for co to build to dangerous levels. The heater only ignites when you squeeze the trigger, so then you are talking 3 -5 minutes of use or less. Im willing to bet that it is pretty safe.

It'd be less Co2 that cooking on a propane stove. Keeping it simple, I just heat water to temp that I'll like and pour it into a insulated 4 gallon water tank and use the 6vdc shower that is like the shower sold in Bob's store. A 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot would work or one of those solar showers do a fine job. It is the lowest cost and most compact. I only need to boil or heat about 2 gallons and mix that with 2 gallons of cold water to get the warm water. My wood stove will boil 2 gallons in about 6 minutes, but I've done countless times using just a alcohol stove. Takes awhile, but I'm in no hurry. Propane would work better.

Some have reported complete cleaning with one liter of water.

I can take a pretty satisfying shower using only 1 gallon of water (ship shower)....and I'm a bigger guy with long hair too.

get in, a quick rinse down, water off, soap & shampoo, and a final good rinse...done!

Patrick46 said:
I can take a pretty satisfying shower using only 1 gallon of water (ship shower)....and I'm a bigger guy with long hair too.

get in, a quick rinse down, water off, soap & shampoo, and a final good rinse...done!

I never managed less than a gallon and a half but then I have to use conditioner as well as the shampoo. I always prepared at least 2 gallons just to be on the safe side...:)

There are showers to get clean and shower you treat yourself to as a luxury.

A simple get clean shower with the flash water heater will use a small amount of water, maybe one and a half to two gallons, but it is nice to know I can treat myself to a long relaxing shower if I choose. The heater times out at twenty minutes as a safety feature.

I have both carbon dioxide and monoxide detectors in the cabin, neither went off.

Corky

IMG_20150101_175848 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150101_175848 (1).jpg
    IMG_20150101_175848 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB
If you have an electric fan/vent over or very near (wall mount is good too), then 'venting' of the propane unit is a done deal. My gripe is amount of water used for showering. Okay for a larger RV hooked to shore power/water, but wasteful in a standard van when boondocking.

ive read of people who throw a filter on and use stream water

You limit the amount of water you use with a switching shower head, do a navy style shower, works just fine when all you want is clean.

Corky

corky, does that shower self drain or is there a provision to prevent freeze up and damage to the unit. highdesertranger

Interesting on the water usage. We didn't build an indoor shower but did put in an external shower in the side of our RV. I made our sink extra deep with a combo faucet that has buttons for stream or spray and is on a gooseneck. The plan is to wash hair in the sink and kind of sponge off everything else :)

I guess when we are in a private location one could use the external shower.

Corky, I really like the instant water heater. Much better than the 6 gallon model we put in, which takes awhile to heat (and likely uses a good bit of propane or electricity)

Latest posts