$10 for package delivery to UPS Store?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaBLOOnie Boonster

Reaction score
I got charged $10 to have a package UPS'ed to a UPS Store in Yuma yesterday. It was not a large or heavy package.

Is this the new normal? Outrageous!

Aaargh I hate internet shopping on the road.

shipping charges apply if ya buy something....is this an extra ship charge? not sure on that :)

all costs are thru the roof crazy anymore. Everyone's free shipping, what a joke, it is inside the costs and built into all the use etc of the site. Nothing is 'free' anymore and your charge, yea it is becoming more normal. Screw ya this way and that. You will pay more and more like all of us as time goes by if you want it bad enough. Suks

RoamerRV428 said:
shipping charges apply if ya buy something....is this an extra ship charge?  not sure on that :)

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The $10 fee was what I had to pay the UPS store to accept the package and hold it for me. (The shipping expense is a separate issue.)

sounds like if UPS delivers to your home address, drop it off as a delivery you are done in that ship charge.
If you have no address, ask for it to be sent to a UPS office for pickup, you are then paying a charge for that UPS business to 'accept and hold' your package as you need. They are then an extra service which you are going to pay for.

does that sound like a right situation here?

ya can't win cause everyone wants your darn dollar, every damn penny you own out of your pocket but if it is 'separate service' I kinda see why

If u end up this way (Quartzsite) you can have a package shipped to me if u want. I have a mailing address with no problems. We are camped at LTVA La Posa South

PS. If it’s a million dollars I’m making a run for it south of the border...

We were in Albuquerque and needed 3 packages shipped to a UPS store. The charge was 5.00 a box. I understand that most UPS stores are independent dealers and need to pay the rent. Thought it was a little high, but then they did keep them for me and it was only 2 miles from where we were at.

Early November, I had meds shipped from my 'home' UPS box in NC to a CG in Amarillo TX. Waited extra 5 days and cost me $30 for shipping. Now my wife and I are in Quartzite AZ and I had meds shipped again from NC. Cost $28 and took 4 days.
I have changed from 3 month mail-order meds shipped to my 'home' to Walgreens to avoid shipping costs. There are about 8K+ Walgreens all over the country and once your prescriptions are in the system, you can pick them up anywhere. Just call first to verify that they have your meds on stock.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yes. UPS shipping stores are private owned franchise. Rent, utilities, insurance, salaries, and franchise fees. If you use their services, you can expect to contribute to the income. That could be why so many of those UPS stores close and leave box holders lost.

Huh..never heard of a UPS store closing and leaving box holders in the dark...just the mom and pop mail forwarder that died and another that may have closed.

Takes a substantial investment to have a UPS Store franchise. No one just walks away from that valuable asset.

If you ship the package with Fedex they have a deal with Walgreens, Kroger, Alberstons and other stores including authorized FED EX facilities. There is no extra fee to pick it up, but check with your local store first before you send something to that store. Here is a link about it https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/onsite.html If you have your packaged sent using FEDEX you can have it directed with your name on the label to a participating location near you.

As always be sure you do insure the package for the value of the contents. Theft happens, accidents happen, etc.

If you are having a friend or family member send you something do it this way, have your family/friend box up the item and weight it. Open a FED EX account. Then purchase the shipping, save a .pdf file of the shipping label. Email the .pdf copy of the shipping label to the person who is shipping the box for you, they can print it out and glue it on the box. Then drop it off at an appropriate location including a Walgreens near them. Or you can arrange to have FEDEX pick it up at their location at the time when you purchase the shipping label.

You can also make this arrangement with a variety of small businesses, doing the same method, sending them the shipping label and arranging FEDEX to pick it up from them. Those small businesses want the sale, you are just making it easy for them to help you.

My wife and I are full-time RVers who use a UPS in NC for a home address, even their address is on my driver's license and the box # looks like an apartment number.
I just think that mixing Fed Ex into the process will only complicate an already aggravating situation.
Seems easier to go with a national pharmacy than bring in another shipper. IMHO

The original posting was not about getting prescriptions filled, a different person added in that situation.

You are not adding in FedEx you just use it as an alternate shipping service instead of choosing to use UPS or the USPS.  The nice thing is there are alternative shipping companies so why not use FEDEX if you can avoid fees at the receiving end of the shipment.

I added in the prescription stuff since we are full-time without a house. That UPS box is my 'home', talking about tiny houses now!
Sorry about side tracking the thread- yeah - paying for services sucks but that's capitalism for ya! Damn, I did it again! [emoji6]

Mine is in NC, so it's the street address of the UPS store (they used to be Mail Boxes, etc. before UPS bought them), then the box #.
My Name
UPS street address (don't write UPS here)
#XXX
City, State, Zip Code

This is on all mail. Most things I do on-line (pay bills, renew tags & license, auto-pay insurance & credit cards). Mail in the box gets checked & forwarded with the meds (but I have changed that mail order pharmacy crap). So now I will check the box at least twice a year - probably April and October.
Alternative: change domicile to FL, TX or SD. No state income tax. I have to maintain NC domicile because my wife is on workers comp (she had a state job). Anyway, there are folks in those states that will handle mail, tags, etc. for you.

I guess you all have limited life experience. I had a box with UPS in (town in jersey). They closed and transferred my delivery to another UPS in (10 mile away town). But I had to go and sign up for new account. That store also closed and posted an address of another UPS in (town 15 miles north). That is just one person's experience. I'm sure it happens to many other stores.

Thanks for the compliment! Limited life experience and I am 67! Cool [emoji16]
I do have limited full-time RVers experience, which I acknowledged earlier since living in a 'Cracker Box' only 2 years. But this nomadic existence does have a different set of aggravating situations. Snail mail is just one (laundromats are another).
Maybe these forums are worth it after all!

:) Aimed at the ones that never heard of a UPS franchise closing, or could believe anyone could walk away from such an expensive drain on their wallet.
Got rid of UPS boxes. Now use a cooperative family member. I can still find most of what i need in a box store and don't use much Amazon or Rock Auto.
I like the Cracker Box experience. Some of them have cut overnight parking.