04 Astro Conversio

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadget728

Reaction score
Hi all, 
New to the group, but ready to get started. My plans, as written in my intro post are to hit the road full time in the future. When? Sometime after my Dad passes away and I finalize things here in  Kansas. 

I've been searching the web for G2500 ext., knowing I'd have to take out a loan to do it. After reading a few posts, I decided to go ahead and start out with what I have, which is a 2004 Chevy Astro Cargo Van. I installed 2 pieces of carpet covered OSB to deaden the sound when I first bought it and installed some jams. I'll post pics of what it looks like now and more as it progresses. please keep in mind this is my practice build, the real deal will be when I sell this one and get a 2500 EXT.  :D 

Astro  (1).JPG Astro  (2).JPGAstro  (3).JPG

Attachments

• Astro  (2).JPG
    Astro (2).JPG
    685.8 KB
  • Astro  (3).JPG
    Astro (3).JPG
    499.8 KB
  • Astro  (1).JPG
    Astro (1).JPG
    743.9 KB
Well, The lumber I need is in Cheney, so I emptied out most of the stereo stuff, will relocate individual speakers later after I build a frame for mattress. I'm using a twin size memory foam mattress, because I've slept on it in several tents, with and without a cot, and I sleep great on it. The mattress will take up most of the room in the van, but I might build it to lift up and store, tomorrow. Tonight I'm going to stealth camp in it, here on Main Street McPherson, woo hoo.  :D  more pics:
04 Astro (5).JPG04 Astro (6).JPG04 Astro (7).JPG

Attachments

• 04 Astro (5).JPG
    04 Astro (5).JPG
    687.4 KB
  • 04 Astro (6).JPG
    04 Astro (6).JPG
    751.3 KB
  • 04 Astro (7).JPG
    04 Astro (7).JPG
    704.5 KB
Made it all night without incident, although we had a nasty storm roll through first thing and got hailed on.

Good for you! I lie the idea of playing with the Astro now and 'figgerin stuff out'
Bed does take up a lot of room in there

Sounds good. Work with what you've got already. I like the idea of a practice build. Seems like a good way to try things out.

Welcome! I have to agree with the others: you are SMART indeed to use what you have and try it out -- would a slightly more narrow bed still be comfy? Where can you build storage (either side and above your wheel wells for example)? What sort do you need?

That looks like a great interior to work with.