Omnia Oven Positive Experiences?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XERTYX

Reaction score
So i heard about this thing recently. From this forum actually. Bob made "fish sticks" on one video. I also watched a few other vids on them. A lady that sounded like a New Zealander living in France used one to bake a cake and a lasagna for one meal.

Have you one? Forget the bundt cake design.. can you bake regular food on one?! It collapses down nice and small. Is it worth your time?!

Love my Omnia Oven. But it does take a trial or two to adjust to cooking with it, as it has no thermostat. The best source of information & recipes is the Omnia Oven group on Facebook.

I don’t use one. I do my baking using a skillet with a lid and a pie tin elevated up a little off the bottom of the skillet. Similar to the video.

I would buy one if I came across it for a low price in a trift store. That is where I buy most of my camp kitchen gear.

LoupGarou said:
I don’t use one. I do my baking using a skillet with a lid and a pie tin elevated up a little off the bottom of the skillet. Similar to the video.

Hmm. I do have a 7 qt pressure cooker. I have thought of using one like cookingshooking does in his videos.

But he takes out the gasket and adds a layer of salt to the bottom before adding an elevating ring. I even bought miniature pizza pans to try and do it. 

I tried it first by putting a $1 pizza in it with a little water and pressure cooking it. I didnt wanna waste a bunch of salt. I did find out that those mini pizza pans are hard as hell to get out of there. Haha.

I've been baking with an Ovenette for over 10 years and really like it. It's similar to an Omnia Oven but it has a thermometer and the pans do not have a hole in the middle. They were made in the 1940s and every so often one will show up on Ebay. They usually sell fast. There is one listed now -Ovenette 
It's kind of expensive but if you see any other listings check the photos carefully. You can replace missing pans but the heavy base, the grid, and the top are all important pieces. 

I've made cakes, brownies, banana bread and other quick breads, enchiladas, meat loaf, personal pizzas using pitas for the crust, Bisquick style impossible pies, baked chicken, muffins, and  almost everything else that can be made in a regular oven. I've not had as much success with yeast breads which tend to get too brown on the bottom before they're fully cooked inside. I use standard recipes but you may need to cut down the ingredients to fit the smaller pans. The temperatures and cooking times are about the same. 

Banana bread                                        Frozen bread dough - pinwheel rolls with ham and cheese
015a.jpg      015 (2)a.jpg

Attachments

• 015a.jpg
    015a.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 015 (2)a.jpg
    015 (2)a.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 4
We got the whole Omnia set w a nice carry case (plus the drawstring bag) from Camping World rather than Amazon but the price was about the same if you add up all the bits.
Baking is great! Easy low water clean up with the silicon liners. The only thing i found was the medium heat is too high. But cook for 40 minutes on low and baked goods come out wonderfull! We did meat loaf for the first time in years and it was perfect. The thing works like a convection oven, the heat is very even.
Those Westbend stove tops look even better and a lot less expensive even at 95$ Id try for one of those before an Omnia.

My experience is kinda new. I got the Omnia so I could still bake sourdough bread in fire restricted areas.

The first trial was a dud, but it wasnt a really fair experiement. I'd two boules ready to bake -- one to give away and one to keep. Did the first one in the Dutch oven with charcoal. The second would have gone in right when the first was done, but the wind had come up pretty fierce. So as gently as possible, I reshaped the boule to fit in the Omnia.

Long story short - the top didn't brown, but did form a thick and hard crust. We. I think I need to try again. I used both the rack and the silicone liner. Next time, I will try my regular lean sourdough with the final proof happening directly in the pan.

I've since been working on a sourdough dinner rolls recipe for the omnia. First try was meh. Good, soft dinner roll texture, but the flavor was one note. The second batch I'd adjusted amounts of enriching ingredients up, and added 2t of sugar. That did it! They are yum.

The tops of the rolls are as pale as can be. They look like brown-n-serve rolls before browning. The bottoms are golden brown and have a thin, crisp crust. Wish I could brown the tops, but I think I can live with pale as long as I can still bake sourdough.

Cammalu said:
Can you turn them half way?
No. They're too delicate. The shape of the bottom is narrower, so the tops wouldn't sit in the bottom right anyway.