Hindsight: If I knew then what I know now.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
I would really like to hear from some full time vandwellers (epecially, but all are welcome to respond, of course) what they might choose to do differently, based on their experiences.  For example:

• If you could do your build over, what would you change, add, remove or re-design?
  • What was a waste of money?
  • What would you be sure not to skimp on?
  • What would you have studied more, or wish you'd been told to prepare for, before you hit the road?
  • Is there a city/state/park/location, etc., that you would warn vandwellers about (or recommend highly)?
  • Would you have done anything differently when it comes to establishing a full-time residence, the vehicle you bought, the insurance you got, tax-wise, the bank you chose, or the stuff you brought (or didn't bring)?

Anything you can think of on any topic that the subject makes you think of would be great to hear.  I want to be as prepared, advised, and warned as possible.  Lastly, what's the best practical advice you would give to someone who's choosing the full-time van life?  (Other than the obvious, like "be sure it's right for you.")

It actually wasn't much of a transition for me. I did a lot of hiking and backpacking, so I was already accustomed to being minimalist. For me, having a van seems palatial--I don't even have to carry very much on my back. :)

My advice? A van or an RV is not an apartment. Trying to MAKE it an apartment is a pathway to disappointment. So accept the limitations that you will have, embrace them, and live freely within them. It makes life a lot easier. :)

In hindsight, what I learned is that there is no substitute whatsoever for getting on the road and actually .... DOING IT.

Jack said:
  • What would you be sure not to skimp on?

The van. Compared to the vehicle, everything else is cheap to change, rework or fix.

Jack said:
Lastly, what's the best practical advice you would give to someone who's choosing the full-time van life?  (Other than the obvious, like "be sure it's right for you.")

My advice - to the fullest extent of your financial ability, make sure that your vehicle is outfitted to be the most comfortable living quarters you can.

If you're living full-time in it, it is not the time to skimp on comfort. Each person has their own ideas on what makes them comfortable so it's different for each person. For me it was a comfortable bed, a well functioning kitchen, and lots of storage space. A temporary set-up without adequate storage would have driven me crazy in no time flat.

I don't agree with the concept of not making your vehicle like an apartment. I think of and describe my home as a 'studio' apartment. My swivel passenger chair functions as my living room, dining room and office. My bedroom can be seen from the living as can the bathroom and the kitchen and it's only a few steps from one end to the other, but it's still a complete functioning living area.

The only other advice is to figure out how to live well within your financial means. For some that means travelling little or slow, others it means taking on at least a part-time or seasonal job. If you have to dip in to your emergency fund, one needs to figure out the means to replace that funding. Ideally, you're spending less than what's coming in each and every month.

"Would you have done anything differently ... the vehicle you bought"

I started out in a 4x4 pickup with a topper.  I should have gone for the van right away.  I love my van. There is no comparison.   ~ crofter

crofter said:
"Would you have done anything differently ... the vehicle you bought"

I started out in a 4x4 pickup with a topper.  I should have gone for the van right away.  I love my van. There is no comparison.   ~ crofter
Crofie, just for the heck of it, go take a look at this thread, and maybe comment over there too. My ideas of a "perfect" vehicle for a 1-man operation are evolving all the time - especially after getting stuck in the sand down in Anza-Borrego. A 4x4 pickup with the **proper rig** on top may be preferable to a van.
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=32525

I bought a handicap hightop van. If I had to do it again I would by a extended cargo van, no windows except maybe on the back doors.

My van is regular length, fiberglass hitop, and all windows. The hightop is old and brittle so adding anyting like a vent or solar panels will be stressful. The windows I need to tint at least. And taking out all the disability stuff is not easy, things are bolted really really good to meet ADA requirements. Oh and the top is a double wall but I don't know if it is insulated and where the support beams are. I can do everything I need to to strip it down to the basics but I wish I started with the basics first.
Next time: extended cargo, no windows, slider side door, 3/4 or 1 ton Ford or Chevy. 2x4

Good Luck

QinReno said:
after getting stuck in the sand down in Anza-Borrego. A 4x4 pickup with the **proper rig** on top may be preferable to a van.

Sand is always a bad place to get stuck. You just sink out of sight before you know it and spend the rest of the day getting back out.  ~crofter

Jacksonricher said:
The windows I need to tint at least. 

I have seen windows painted over white on a white van, and it didn't look half bad. Also, there is peel and stick window covering that you can see out, but others can not see in.        ~crofter

crofter said:
Sand is always a bad place to get stuck. You just sink out of sight before you know it and spend the rest of the day getting back out.  ~crofter

Sand is nature's way of laughing at our hubris and/or ignorance.  :D

MrNoodly said:

Dingfelder was thinking of a 4X4 as the solution to sand, but if you're spinning out in sand, you are just getting even more stuck if 4 wheels are spinning down into the bottomless stuff.

I have heard of using low air pressure in the tires for better traction in sand, but must be hard on the tires.    ~crofter

MrNoodly said:
I can see getting through the day without ignorance, but hubris is all some of us got, even if we don't deserve it. 

Somehow, I still think 4x4 will do better in sand than a 5,000 pound RWD van with too much torque. FWIW, I found that the way to get the van to "float" better over the deep sand was to put it into manual mode and select 3rd gear. Then the rear tires don't spin and sink as much. In regards ignorance, the host at the CG across the road said it was ok to drive into that sandy road and look for a boondocking site.

IOW, vans are nice, as long as you don't go too far off the hard pack stuff.

Solar solar solar and some more solar (and the appropriate battery bank and inverter of course)... can't ever get enough of it... we started without (in our previous rig) and got it finally 9 month later... wish we had done it from the get-go!

QinReno said:
Somehow, I still think 4x4 will do better in sand than a 5,000 pound RWD van with too much torque. FWIW, I found that the way to get the van to "float" better over the deep sand was to put it into manual mode and select 3rd gear. Then the rear tires don't spin and sink as much. 

Have you ever tried letting some air out of the tires for traction??
I have no way to pump them up again, so I have not tried it.    ~crofter

crofter said:
Have you ever tried letting some air out of the tires for traction??
I have no way to pump them up again, so I have not tried it.    ~crofter
No, but I've seen youtubes where people did that. 

In regards my "3rd Gear Method", on the way back out of that sandy road, I drove right over the same area that I had earlier been stuck in, and with no problem. I had to keep going in deeper and deeper before I could even find a place firm enough to turn around in. I got stuck 3 times total in 5-minutes, before I figured out the 3rd gear thing.

I see that both of us needs a really good air pump to run off 12V. We need a good-sized heavy-duty one that can fill a tire to 80-PSI. I had a small pump with my SUV that I took along on my very "first" trip in the van, and had a nice fun blowout. We tried to blow the tire back up to see what the cut looked like, but my pump was too weak. Another guy had a strong pump that did work. We should both buy one before we really need it.

MrNoodly said:
The van. Compared to the vehicle, everything else is cheap to change, rework or fix.
One of the questions I have about the van itself, is whether or not it's worth it to buy new since I plan to be full-time and long term?  In the regular world, given the depreciation of new cars, I wouldn't consider buying new but, since I'm going to be living in it long term, I'm thinking new is the way to go.

Almost There said:
My advice - to the fullest extent of your financial ability, make sure that your vehicle is outfitted to be the most comfortable living quarters you can.
I couldn't agree more.  I'm not only looking at full-time, but long term.  And I don't want to have to switch vehicles for at least 10 years.  

For me it was a comfortable bed, a well functioning kitchen, and lots of storage space.
Most important for me is a comfortable bed, too.  And a desk to study/work at.  Other than that, A/C tops my list, with a shower next.  I've been a minimalist long before minimalism was a thing, so I'll have room for a large fresh water tank and storage for emergencies - food, supplies, toilet paper, etc.,

The only other advice is to figure out how to live well within your financial means. 
My goal is to leave with $10,000 in funds.  I'm currently debt-free and plan to stay that way; it's cash on the barrelhead or I can't afford it.  That means I'm currently saving to buy the van, build it out, and have the savings to leave with.  My monthly expenses should be below $1,000 per month.

C-Cat said:
Solar solar solar and some more solar (and the appropriate battery bank and inverter of course)... can't ever get enough of it...
I agree.  I'm planning for more power than I need so I can either grow into it, or help others out.  I'm definitely getting an A/C of some kind and will need plenty of power to run it because I'm a massive heat wimp.  A/C is first on my list of creature comforts.  I don't know anything about solar at all so I'll be studying it until I know it backwards and forwards.

^^^shower next.

Not many people have a shower in a van. Some people do who have high tops. Some people have a shower setup on the back door and use a popup tent outside.

If you want a vehicle that'll last you 10-years, better buy something new, or 1-2 years old with low mileage. On another thread, a guy mentioned buying a 1990s van for $1500. He'll be lucky to get it around the block.