Hindsight: If I knew then what I know now.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack said:
One of the questions I have about the van itself, is whether or not it's worth it to buy new since I plan to be full-time and long term?  In the regular world, given the depreciation of new cars, I wouldn't consider buying new but, since I'm going to be living in it long term, I'm thinking new is the way to go.

Don't rule out a van that has been used at least enough to get the first couple of years depreciation knocked off the sticker.

It took me 6 months of searching regularly and diligently to find the van I bought. I travelled several times up to 6 hours away to look at vans without success.

Set your parameters for what you want fairly loosely - I was looking for a van with low mileage, in good shape. I had enough in the budget to put the high top on it that I absolutely insisted on. The van I found was 4 hours away, one personal owner and it had the high top on it already. It needed some minor body work and new tires which were the first things that it got. I was prepared to put the funding in to replacing a lot of rubber since it had sat but was otherwise a solid platform. It turned out that other than routine maintenance and an idler arm pulley it needed nothing immediately.

Deals are out there but one has to know what to look for (or pay someone who does) and be prepared to be patient and willing to look in a wide area and through every possible sales venue.

Almost There said:
Don't rule out a van that has been used at least enough to get the first couple of years depreciation knocked off the sticker.

Deals are out there but one has to know what to look for (or pay someone who does) and be prepared to be patient and willing to look in a wide area and through every possible sales venue.

QinReno Wrote:
If you want a vehicle that'll last you 10-years, better buy something new, or 1-2 years old with low mileage.

I'm glad to know my line of thinking is along the right order.  I have nothing but time and patience at the moment.  I'm eager to get out on the road, but smart enough to be as patient as it takes to get the right vehicle.  Ideally, that's what I want - a slightly used van that's already absorbed the initial depreciation.  As for tires, at the first sign they need to be replaced, I'm putting all weather tires on them.

I assume people have mentioned cargurus.com to you. 1-year old GMC vans with under 20,000 miles will go for $20,000-25,000 range.

QinReno said:
I assume people have mentioned cargurus.com to you. 1-year old GMC vans with under 20,000 miles will go for $20,000-25,000 range.
Nope.  Never heard of them.  I have now... thanks!

crofter said:
Dingfelder was thinking of a 4X4 as the solution to sand, but if you're spinning out in sand, you are just getting even more stuck if 4 wheels are spinning down into the bottomless stuff.

I have heard of using low air pressure in the tires for better traction in sand, but must be hard on the tires.    ~crofter
I ran across this, and don't think I'll try it in my RWD van. I'm sure all the real crazies had 4WD. Guys pulling 34 foot trailers across. Duh. It's how the  other half lives.