AC options for a van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anhedonic

Reaction score
I'm picking up my van today and starting building. Recent experiences in travelling in a small Class B that I borrowed have taught me that I *need* a generator to charge my wheelchair and AC because I tend to get ill from the heat if I'm in it too long. So I've ordered my generator but I'm struggling with AC options. Buying a rooftop unit is so expensive it'll eat most of what I have for my build but I haven't found any good alternatives. I don't have the tech savvy to do something clever with a mini-split like I've seen some people talk about. I don't want to have a window AC jutting out from the side or back of the van. I thought about getting a through-wall AC and mounting it in a cabinet with a grille on the outside, but I'm concerned about keeping it level, or more properly keeping it the appropriate level of tilted. I'm concerned about condensation drainage and potential water damage. It also eats a lot of interior space. 

Does anyone have any cost-effective ideas that don't involve welding, soldering, or opening high-pressure systems? 

Thanks!

Anhedonic said:
I'm picking up my van today and starting building. Recent experiences in travelling in a small Class B that I borrowed have taught me that I *need* a generator to charge my wheelchair and AC because I tend to get ill from the heat if I'm in it too long. So I've ordered my generator but I'm struggling with AC options. Buying a rooftop unit is so expensive it'll eat most of what I have for my build but I haven't found any good alternatives. I don't have the tech savvy to do something clever with a mini-split like I've seen some people talk about. I don't want to have a window AC jutting out from the side or back of the van. I thought about getting a through-wall AC and mounting it in a cabinet with a grille on the outside, but I'm concerned about keeping it level, or more properly keeping it the appropriate level of tilted. I'm concerned about condensation drainage and potential water damage. It also eats a lot of interior space. 

Does anyone have any cost-effective ideas that don't involve welding, soldering, or opening high-pressure systems? 

Thanks!
You are placing so many restrictions there, you either need to spend a lot of money on the mainstream commercial solutions, or accept a DIY jury rig.

Over on TNTTT.com I've seen window units put in on sliders, also ones fixed into ducted compartments, these in truly tiny teardrop-style trailers.

John61CT said:
You are placing so many restrictions there, you either need to spend a lot of money on the mainstream commercial solutions, or accept a DIY jury rig.

Over on TNTTT.com I've seen window units put in on sliders, also ones fixed into ducted compartments, these in truly tiny teardrop-style trailers.

Thank you for the response. I've thought about a slider, but I'm thinking a through wall unit would be better because they lack the need for side vents. It wouldn't have to move. Such units are only a touch more expensive than equivalently powered window units, at least so the Internet says. I'm just terribly concerned about potential water damage. I don't mind a DIY jury rig, but I'm not confident in my own engineering skills to make it all work right.

Maybe you buy the unit and then travel around, find an RV shop willing to do it.

Whichever way you decide of course.

Personally I'd go cheap and DIY take my chances.

why not just plan on being in an area were you don't need AC. that eliminates all the headaches. highdesertranger

Maybe missed the health-critical issue.

Following the 60's at a moment's notice may not feasible for all (or I reckon even most?) of our circumstances.

Anhedonic said:

A portable A/C unit might work for you. You will need a hole or vent of some kind in the floor, wall, window, or roof to make it work.

Most svck bad.

A few of the two-hose work OK.

None as good as a window-rattler.

Buy locally only, and from a place with a proven stellar returns policy.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not going to be full-timing so much as traveling a lot and I often won't be able to follow the weather. In point of fact, some of the events I'm going to attend are in hot places at hot times of year so avoiding the heat would defeat the purpose for me.

Originally, I was planning to do without AC in favor of lots of ventilation, but a recent RV trip taught me some of my physical limitations. I have a sort of heart failure that affects my lung function; when things get humid and hot, I have trouble keeping my breath. I learned that AC was mandatory. It was not a revelation that pleased me.

I've been thinking about it and consulting people here. This is The Best Van I Could Afford and I'm hoping to get 10 years out of it. Even if it slows my build down, I'm thinking that the AC part is something I'm just going to have done by a pro. It eats almost all the rest of my build budget for now, but in a few years, I think I'll be happy I did.

Sadly, there really is no good, easy and cheap solution. Staying cool in a vehicle is a LOT harder than staying warm.....

An AC is gonna need a generator, shore power, or a VERY large solar panel system to reliably work year-round. None of those options will be inexpensive.

I hope things work out for you. :)

John61CT said:
Most svck bad.

No, they 'svck' ambient air, and exhaust heated air. 

Given the requirements laid out by the OP, a portable A/C is an option.

Are they the best, most efficient, quietest, most reliable units on the market?

Nope. But those qualities were not listed as requirements.

I would say a portable DUAL hose AC would be your best option. Most of these portables are single hose and are not as efficient because they use the air that you paid to cool for cooling the condenser and then pumping it outside. Also The amount of air going out will have to come back in somewhere and you will have to pay to cool that as well.

I built a false wall in the back of my van as I wanted a garage area for batteries, propane generator and other things that did not need to be heated or cooled. It is also more secure area for storing high dollar things like tools, cameras, lap tops etc. I put a window AC into this bulkhead and vent the hot air out the top of the van. Here is a video of my setup. Some of the video is about the solar, but there is a generator in the back as well.

Moisture is not a problem unless you keep the interior windows open. Once the inside air passes a few times through the AC it will be dry air. I have not seen any water coming out of my unit.

DannyB, didn't you do a tour of your van with Bob? I think I watched that video. I loved what you did with it. I thought your AC approach was very creative.

I thought about putting an AC out the back, but I didn't want it exposed and I don't have space for an extra section like you've got; gotta fit things like the power chair and the ramp for it. The thing is like an albatross around my neck when it comes to van planning, but it is a requirement so there you go.

my 2 cents...

RV rooftop...expensive, need to cut roof for install, does not take up interior space, not DIY unless very handy and able to hoist 90 pounds to the roof.
Window unit...cheapest, needs a bit of creativity for DIY install, sticks out of van or takes up room if 'cabinetized', need proper drainage solution.
Dual hose portable...moderately priced, only need holes cut for the hoses, takes up interior space, most condensate is thrown out in exhaust, extreme humidity might require drain hose, connector on rear of unit.

My choice here would be a portable...
Home Depot has a Whynter 11,000 btu dual hoser for $336. Free ship to store and they would surely load it in your van for you.
16" x 17" footprint 30" tall.
Weight is 66 pounds but is on wheels.
Home Depot extended warranty available.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter...itioner-with-Dehumidifier-ARC-110WD/204146581

Anhedonic said:
DannyB, didn't you do a tour of your van with Bob? I think I watched that video. I loved what you did with it. I thought your AC approach was very creative.

I thought about putting an AC out the back, but I didn't want it exposed and I don't have space for an extra section like you've got; gotta fit things like the power chair and the ramp for it.  The thing is like an albatross around my neck when it comes to van planning, but it is a requirement so there you go.
Nope not me. I met Bob once when he came to the town I live in, but that was before my build.

Mine does not stick out of the vehicle. It does take up a bit of space in my garage area, but it would also do that if I put it in a cabinet inside the living area. In the video I had the rear windows removed as I was also in the middle of replacing them with 1/8" aluminum. The heat from the AC goes up out the top of the Van.

johnny b said:
My choice here would be a portable...
Home Depot has a Whynter 11,000 btu dual hoser for $336. . .
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter...itioner-with-Dehumidifier-ARC-110WD/204146581
Is model that **known** to be an effective unit, never mind "efficient" but actually cooling a decent size living space down when it's 100° outside?

Assume reasonable insulation, of course a critical piece that needs to be done well first thing in a build out.

Is HD's return policy as unconditional as say Costco's?

Check out Frigidaire [font=Gotham, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]FFRE0533S1[/font]

[font=Gotham, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]5000 BTU window unit[/font]
[font=Gotham, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]150 sqft[/font]
Energy Efficiency Ratio: 12.2
[font=Gotham, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]410 watts / 3.8 amps on cool setting and has energy saver setting[/font]
[font=Gotham, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]$179[/font]

[font=Gotham, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]It's the lowest watts / amps unit I could find and it works great![/font]

[font=Gotham, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]If someone knows of something lower let me know.[/font]

3.8A on mains is 40+A from 12V.

So if low outside temps and / or good insulation allows a 50% cycling ratio, that's 20AH per hour when it's on.