AC options for a van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not saying this exact one but if you had shore or a decent generator, seems like they might work well.

Land-Pilot said:
If you want an a/c unit then consider setting up your solar system to run 48 volts instead of 12 volts, you'll need a 48 volt compatible inverter but it will run much more efficiently and help preserve your battery capacity longer.

Could you elaborate more on how it is more efficiently and helps preserve your battery capacity longer?

Do **not** bother with a House circuit voltage higher than 12V unless you have a strong compelling reason.*

The only advantage is running thinner wires for high currents over long distances, does not apply here.

Most DC appliances aren't even availabl in high voltage so you need converters, makes the whole setup more complex thus fragile and expensive

KISS

*For example you find a fancy native-DC aircon unit that is super efficient and needs 48V to run.

A 48 volt inverter will be expensive to purchase and to repair if needed. I would rather spend the money on high efficiency panels, multiple controllers, etc. to be as efficient as possible.

Converting 48 volts to 110 volts will be more efficient than converting from 12 volts to 110 volts; that is true. However, to run a DC fridge you will need 12 volt. So you will need a DC to DC step down converter to convert 48 volts to 12 volts. That converter is another device to purchase and be noisy and create heat through energy loss with more potential for breaking down.

You could use a household fridge, but they aren't as efficient, aren't made to handle the bumps of the road, and won't work properly on inclines. Some people will disagree with me on that, but I adamantly state that for mobile applications, a fridge built for mobile use is needed.

You won't need AC in the winter when there is far less sun, which is good, but then you would have a converter running anyway. You would have a 48 volt system that has an energy wasting DC to DC converter so you can use 12 volts to power whatever lights or appliances you need. Or you could shut off the converter and run the inverter instead to power 110 volt devices, but then the inverter will be wasting electricity just like a converter. Both will have fans and make noise, too. Winter is a tough time for 100% solar people. That's when straight a straight 12 volt system will be greatly appreciated. 12 volt is the quietest, the most efficient way to power devices, and there a lot of good quality devices to be had.

I wish there was a market for 24 or 48 volt appliance as there is for 12 volt appliance, but that isn't the case. If it were, I would absolutely be running 48 volt. As it stands now, there is no way I would run 48 volts in a 6X12 trailer. It does not pencil out when you look at everything in context. But there are people that have more education and experience than me who absolutely disagree. We all have our own opinions on how math works. I wouldn't degrade you for using 48 volts, but I sure wouldn't agree.

DannyB1954 said:
I would say a portable DUAL hose AC would be your best option. Most of these portables are single hose and are not as efficient because they use the air that you paid to cool for cooling the condenser and then pumping it outside. Also The amount of air going out will have to come back in somewhere and you will have to pay to cool that as well.

I built a false wall in the back of my van as I wanted a garage area for batteries, propane generator and other things that did not need to be heated or cooled. It is also more secure area for storing high dollar things like tools, cameras, lap tops etc. I put a window AC into this bulkhead and vent the hot air out the top of the van. Here is a video of my setup. Some of the video is about the solar, but there is a generator in the back as well.  

Moisture is not a problem unless you keep the interior windows open. Once the inside air passes a few times through the AC it will be dry air. I have not seen any water coming out of my unit.

Great setup, man. Serious bsns. :)

For some reason I stopped getting notifications on this thread so I thought people had just stopped responding. Then I came back and found all of this. Thanks for all the information.

Solar is great and I hope to add it to my van at some point, but I am restricted by budget at the moment so solar is going to have to wait for me. For power, I have purchased a generator. I'm going to try to have it built into the van so I don't have to pull it out and hook it up every time I want to use it.

As for AC choices, I've liked a lot of the options you've all suggested, but I think I'm going to go with the roof-mounted Coleman model. I have a number of reasons for going with the more expensive option.

1. Having it on the roof takes it out of the van and I'm running short on space as it is.
2. The co-owner of the van has respectfully requested that no holes be made in the van except by professionals and that if an AC is to be mounted, it must be one made for vehicular purposes.
3. I want to be sure I have enough power to handle serious heat as I expect to be in hot places in summer.
4. Concern at the downside of cleverly engineering new solutions is strong in my household. :)

So the bottom line is that it's going to cost more, but in the end I hope to have something that will work well, last, and not take up space inside the van. It's painful on the budget, but in the long run it'll be better I hope. I feel similar about lithium batteries, but I don't have the cash to go that way even if it is best in the long term.

Ah, for a $20,000 build budget. :)

DannyB1954 said:
I would say a portable DUAL hose AC would be your best option. Most of these portables are single hose and are not as efficient because they use the air that you paid to cool for cooling the condenser and then pumping it outside. Also The amount of air going out will have to come back in somewhere and you will have to pay to cool that as well.

I built a false wall in the back of my van as I wanted a garage area for batteries, propane generator and other things that did not need to be heated or cooled. It is also more secure area for storing high dollar things like tools, cameras, lap tops etc. I put a window AC into this bulkhead and vent the hot air out the top of the van. Here is a video of my setup. Some of the video is about the solar, but there is a generator in the back as well.  

Moisture is not a problem unless you keep the interior windows open. Once the inside air passes a few times through the AC it will be dry air. I have not seen any water coming out of my unit.

Hey Danny been watching you YT Videos they are great and very helpfull! Thanks MikesgonnoMAD

DannyB1954 said:
Nope not me. I met Bob once when he came to the town I live in, but that was before my build.

Mine does not stick out of the vehicle. It does take up a bit of space in my garage area, but it would also do that if I put it in a cabinet inside the living area. In the video I had the rear windows removed as I was also in the middle of replacing them with 1/8" aluminum. The heat from the AC goes up out the top of the Van.

I just watched your video. I love how you did your AC and electrical system. If I had space for a garage like that and the skills to do it, I might well do something similar.

Thanks all for the kind comments. In a few days maybe I will do an update video.
I am trying to decide on the toilet. I like the idea of composting, but it takes up more space storing the material, (sawdust, peat moss etc). With a 2 1/2 gallon Portapotti, it is all pretty compact. I can even use my grey water for flushing so extra water may not be necessary.

I've been thinking about the same problem. Initially I wanted to do one of the Thetford cassette toilets, but they're a bit pricey. I might settle for 5 gallon bucket for emergencies as many do, but I want my partner to travel with me and every time she looks into the van she gives me the gimlet eye and says something like "where is the bathroom? I believe I was promised a flush toilet." ::)   

So far, the best I've seen, and the one I'm leaning toward is the Thetford Curve.

DannyB1954 said:
Thanks all for the kind comments.  In a few days maybe I will do an update video.
I am trying to decide on the toilet. I like the idea of composting, but it takes up more space storing the material, (sawdust, peat moss etc). With a 2 1/2 gallon Portapotti, it is all pretty compact. I can even use my grey water for flushing so extra water may not be necessary.

I purchased the thetford 260B. It had one of the smaller footprints.

I also got it when Walmart had it on sale and google express offered an additional 20% off for signing up. So it ended up being like $70.

Chemicals limit you to official dump sites.

Composting head's the only way to go IMO, other than simple bucket + bag and toss.

I go with the "simpler is best" school of thought.

But since this thread has now switched from ACs to toilets, perhaps the mods may wanna consider splitting it into two threads?

I agree that this should probably be split since it seems to have changed topics.

That said, my Thetford 565e just arrived. :)