how to clean dishes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
ok how can i keep the dishes clean after using them for eating or the dogs cleaning them hahai do not want to eat out all the time . or use paper plates all of the time and you tube confuses me .

I use a collapsible tubs. 2 of them. . The tubs are handy for lots of other uses.
https://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Pr...id=1489238343&sr=8-1&keywords=collapsible+tub

https://www.amazon.com/UST-20-02735...baa852ac389eaa1ec99ab&creativeASIN=B01E7EJ1H2

I heat some water to help clean the dishes
A water spray bottle can reduce water use in dry regions. Helps to wet dishes for soaping up and sponging and to rinse if water is scarse
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H88PCU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First I wipe down dishes and pans to get oils off the as best as I can.
I typically add some soapy water to one tub. Wash with a sponge or weapon of choice.
Transfer the soapy dishes to the second tub. Drain the first tub and start rinsing the dishes from the second tub to the first tub etc.

I let the dishes drip dry in the tubs.  .

Depends how much water is available

=Cosmo

:)  I think some people use a water and vinegar solution in a spray bottle.   Just squirt and wipe with paper towel and repeat as needed.  I believe some things might need the old fashioned dish pan + hot/water + soap + rinse and dry/drain.  How's your downsizing and van coming along?  Hope you are well.

Jewellann

Txjaybird said:
:)  I think some people use a water and vinegar solution in a spray bottle.   Just squirt and wipe with paper towel and repeat as needed.  I believe some things might need the old fashioned dish pan + hot/water + soap + rinse and dry/drain.  How's your downsizing and van coming along?  Hope you are well.

Jewellann

getting ready to haul more stuff to thrift stores going to pull the bed out monday to haul furniture out of the house

Txjaybird said:

Jewellann

how much vinegar and water should i use

It only takes 1 tablespoon per gallon of water to have the water become unfriendly to bacterial and fungus.

I use apple cider vinegar...unfiltered, unprocessed.

Plus, you can use it straight as a cleaner if you suspect bacterial contamination has already happened.

Buster My Service Dog said:
ok how can i keep the dishes clean after using them for eating or the dogs cleaning them . . .

Beagle pre-wash.  Then:

If water is plentiful -  wash with biodegradable soap in small pan (water doesn't stay hot outside very long so I don't bother), rinse with squirt bottle, air/sun dry.
If water is scarce - wash with spray bottle of vinegar/water solution, wipe dry, leave in sun for a bit (if available).

Simon does a good job of getting all the food bits so I don't have any in the dish water I dump.

-- Spiff

Dog pre wash
If your dog is anything like Buddy, that plate will LOOK clean enough to eat off
then either dish tubs with soap and water, or a spray bottle with bleach in it, the bleach will kill any bad bacteria
the bleach technique was what I used living in the old trailer with no indoor plumbing

Coldwater.

John went to visit his 90 year old grandfather in a very secluded, rural area of Saskatchewan .

After spending a great evening chatting the night away, the next morning John's grandfather prepared breakfast of bacon, eggs and toast.

However, John noticed a film like substance on his plate, and questioned his grandfather asking,

'Are these plates clean?'

His grandfather replied:  'They're as clean as cold water can get em. Just you go ahead and finish your meal, Sonny!'

For lunch the old man made hamburgers.

Again, John was concerned about the plates, as his appeared to have tiny specks around  the edge that looked like dried egg and asked: 'Are you sure these plates are clean?'

Without looking up the old man said: 'I told you before, Sonny, those dishes are as clean as cold water can get them. Now don't you fret, I don't want to hear another word about it!'

Later that afternoon, John was on his way to a nearby town and as he was leaving, his grandfather's dog started to growl, and wouldn't let him pass.

John yelled and said,

'Grandfather, your dog won't let me get to my car'.

Without diverting his attention from the football game he was watching on TV, the old man shouted!

'Coldwater, go lay down now, yah hear me?!'

ArtW said:
Dog pre wash
If your dog is anything like Buddy, that plate will LOOK clean enough to eat off
then either dish tubs with soap and water, or a spray bottle with bleach in it, the bleach will kill any bad bacteria
the bleach technique was what I used living in the old trailer with no indoor plumbing

as much shit as I get for this I would've swore I was the only one. LMAO you all made my day :D

GotSmart said:
Coldwater.

John went to visit his 90 year old grandfather in a very secluded, rural area of Saskatchewan .

After spending a great evening chatting the night away, the next morning John's grandfather prepared breakfast of bacon, eggs and toast.

However, John noticed a film like substance on his plate, and questioned his grandfather asking,

'Are these plates clean?'

His grandfather replied:  'They're as clean as cold water can get em. Just you go ahead and finish your meal, Sonny!'

For lunch the old man made hamburgers.

Again, John was concerned about the plates, as his appeared to have tiny specks around  the edge that looked like dried egg and asked: 'Are you sure these plates are clean?'

Without looking up the old man said: 'I told you before, Sonny, those dishes are as clean as cold water can get them. Now don't you fret, I don't want to hear another word about it!'

Later that afternoon, John was on his way to a nearby town and as he was leaving, his grandfather's dog started to growl, and wouldn't let him pass.

John yelled and said,

'Grandfather, your dog won't let me get to my car'.

Without diverting his attention from the football game he was watching on TV, the old man shouted!

'Coldwater, go lay down now, yah hear me?!'

neat

Neither vinegar nor bleach will clean off grease or oil. If you have either of those on your dishes, use regular soap and water.

This time of year the Dollar Value stores get their yard & garden goods in and these 1 1/2 and 2 liter pump spray bottles show up for $5 to $7 dollars. (sometimes cheaper) 

151846058537_1.jpg

You could paint one black, fill it with water mixed with dish washing soap and sit in the sun to warm in the morning.  A second one could contain rinse water.  Set to spray,  they wouldn't use much water.  they won't take up a lot of space either.   Then,  they could be used for other things too.

TrainChaser said:
Neither vinegar nor bleach will clean off grease or oil.  If you  have either of those on your dishes, use regular soap and water.

After Simon gets done with 'em I would be surprised if there are 5 molecules of grease on the dish  :p

-- Spiff

"After Simon gets done with 'em I would be surprised if there are 5 molecules of grease on the dish"

There is that, of course, but then you've got dog saliva stuck to it, and it's harder to remove than grease.

dog spit

Attachments

• dog germs.jpg
    dog germs.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 11
Maybe Lysol or Clorox wipes, the kind with a scrubber texture, followed by water rinse?

Latest posts