How to wash vegetables without faucet & sink?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfv

Reaction score
This question is to all you van dwellers that don't have a sink and use paper towels to clean dishes, pots and pans.

I cook dry beans and eat a lot of vegetables and salads.
How do you wash dry beans, vegetables, and lettuce?

I use a 3.5qt bowl and either a jug or a spray bottle.

I tried BelgianPup suggestion tonight:
  • put dry beans into the pot
  • cover beans with water
  • agitate beans
  • pour beans & water from pot into colander
  • pour beans from colander back into pot for cooking
I think that is the most efficient use of water.
Similar process for vegetables, or use spray bottle.

Thanks BelgianPup and slow2day :)

I have 2 collapsible sinks. I put vinegar and water in one to wash the vegetables and I put water in the other one to rinse the vegetables.

I have a collapsing colander. I put whatever needs to be washed in there abd sprinkle water over it outside.
Letting the water fall where it may.
In some campgrounds this is frowned on as 'grey water'. But I am very minimal. In an entire day of doing dishes and washing fruit and vegetables I don't think I spill more than a half gallon.
I used to cook dry beans a lot before the van thing.
It isn't terribly compatible unless you are on shore power and have an electric cooktop. Even then, having a bowl of beans soaking overnight sounds like a recipe for a wet foot. I've since converted to using canned beans. MOre convenient, and not as cheap.
Also, cooking beans is a pain to clean up. I try to avoid refried beans. That mucks up my small pot a lot. And I use the same one to make my coffee!
Cooking dry beans is even worse. You get that 'scum line' around the side of the pot.
That all said. I'm in the middle of working out how to put a simple sink in here.
First it's just going to be for campground water hookups. With a manual grey water thing under the sink that I have to take out and empty.
After I get that hooked up nice I'll get a freshwater tank and tie it all together. Hopefully in time for summer so I can more self contained for boondocking, or in town.