Is anyone hanging out in Colorado or New Mexico right now?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van on 66

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I escaped to a friends house near Phoenix when all the shutdowns hit and am hoping now to get back on the road to cooler places.  I am interested in north central New Mexico and also, mostly in the western slope of the Rockies in Colorado.  If anyone is there now and can tell me how things are as far as things being shut down and getting supplies please let me know.

Thanks!

I’m in very isolated western Montrose County Colorado. There are folks around, but **most** of the Plates are Colorado.

Van on 66 stay clear of Gallup and Farmington in the Northwest corner of New Mexico it is a hotspot for Covid19. High infection and fatalities. Gallup is actually barricaded, no stopping or overnight. Colorado is a better spot to stop in. Jeff in Farmington.

Thanks for the info. Jeff.  I actually caught wind of the Gallup shut down yesterday and watched several YouTube news clips.  Just makes you shake your head.  They said that they were going to open it back up by noon tomorrow, but that doesn't make much sense either if things are as bad there as they say that it is.  I checked out a graph about the cases in New Mexico  and most of the state had barely any line to it and then that whole county had a line that went all the way across the chart.  And then Albuquerque was next in line. 

I saw that the campgrounds in and around Taos listed on the BLM page are closed, but I am more interested in the area around Montrose, Colorado as it is close to Ouray, Silverton, and Telluride.  And of course LOTS of forest land.

I had considered driving up to the Four Corners area to get to Montrose via Flagstaff, but given all the high numbers of cases there I decided not to and just go I-40 to I25 north and then catch 160 at Walsenburg to go west.  

Still, I haven't heard how things are in that part either, but from what I have gathered from the BLM page, etc. everything is pretty much open.  If you hear anything different please let me know as I am still about a week away from making the trip anyway.  Right now I am just doing my homework to make sure that I will be okay to travel there and to spend the summer.

DLTooley said:
I’m in very isolated western Montrose County Colorado.  There are folks around, but **most** of the Plates are Colorado.

Thanks for the info.  All I have heard at this point is that Colorado opened up under a revised order.

Just a word of warning for those of you in the Four Corners area. Gallup is in lock down until Monday, only residents are allowed to exit off I 40. Much of the reservation is locked downed from Friday night until Monday morning. Many residents in this area have tested positive but cannot shelter at home as they must haul water and fuel to survive every other day or so. Page Arizona is quickly becoming a hot spot as it is for many the nearest Walmart, water and fuel. Passing thru is no problem if you can use a credit card for fuel, carry your toilet and have gloves,sanitizer and a good mask if you are approached by anyone while stopped. The next few weeks I 70 will be packed with Denver (another hot spot) residents going to and back from the north end of Lake Powell. Make sure you take precautions while stopped if traveling.

The high mountains camping areas may still be snowed in and inaccessible so keep that in mind if that is what you want.

I am near Delta, between Grand Junction and Montrose.  Supplies and fuel are readily available.  No roads are pandemically closed that I have seen.  I don't know about federal land.  There is an RV park (Shady Creek)  in Cedaredge (6200 ft elev) that appears open and one just north of Cedaredge (Aspen Trails at about 6900 ft) on the way up to Grand Mesa that also appears open.  Both areas are snow free now. They rent nightly to monthly.

It has been unusually warm for this time of year in GJ and Montrose, high 80's during days, 40's at night.  They call that warm.  Having moved here from Texas, I call it gorgeous!

Thanks for the info Stargazer.  

As I mentioned in my initial post, I am south of Phoenix and need to get out of the heat which, for here is also above normal for this time of year.  I have spent a lot of time in Colorado over the years and am familiar with the Montrose area so I thought that it would be a good are to home base for the summer.  I am still keeping my eye on things, but want to get to the high country as soon as I can.