Yummy instant potato find

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should you have a friend with a Costco card check to see if that store carries the Hashbrown 8 pack. Price was under $7.

Shiny - thanks!
Which brand? Hungry Jack?

Early this week, I saw an Amazon price drop ($7.17) on a 33oz box of "Golden Grill" hashbrowns, and ordered it. That's much cheaper than Walmart/etc (but more than that great Costco deal). Have never tried that brand, but I'll take-one-for-the-team. :)

https://howtowilderness.com/food/hashbrowns-and-bacon/

We do some meals with dehydrated shredded potatoes, that really store well, take up little room, and reconstitute to taste wonderful. They are also light weight compared to the real thing, and can be used as a whole, or portion size if you get the resealable cardboard milk carton style container.

Kaylee said:
Shiny - thanks!
Which brand? Hungry Jack?

Early this week, I saw an Amazon price drop ($7.17) on a 33oz box of "Golden Grill" hashbrowns, and ordered it. That's much cheaper than Walmart/etc (but more than that great Costco deal). Have never tried that brand, but I'll take-one-for-the-team. :)

Pretty certain Hungry Jack. Actually ran past it as have enough (S&B currently) emergency+ supplies for the next two government breakdowns, earthquakes or zombie invasion

ckelly78z said:

Thanks for the link CK! I just bookmarked their recipes index to explore, later. :)
They too concur about not stirring, and must have far more experience than me:
DO NOT stir so hashbrowns will brown and crisp.
:)

I'm iffy on adding the bacon first.
It's precooked, so really doesn't need 6~ minutes of heat. I've been adding mine near the end (just before or after the egg), with the cheese, and it's enough to melt the cheese and thoroughly warm the bacon.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, while I like the precooked bacon strips, they're about twice the price per ounce of bacon bits.
To me, bacon bits give the best bang for one's buck, plus an open pouch can survive well for 2-3 weeks without refrigeration, even in Northern summers.

I'm getting three servings out of those "flatpacks" (see pic above).
I rip open the pouch at the top, use the first ounce, then just roll-up-the-rim and stuff it in my loose food tub. I've had no issues with spoilage, but a pouch rarely sits there even a week. :)

I'm so glad these were brought to my attention! They're a very frugal & morale boosting treat. Thanks! :)

P.S. Firtree I'm glad you're stocked up. That's the way my mind works, too. :)
Are you a fan of "The Walking Dead" TV series? Carol rulz. :D

I got some of the Idaho brand plain mashed potatoes the other day. They are the best instant mashed I have ever tried. The flavored ones have too many odd additives so I am skipping those. They are making a nice substitute for a Russent baked potato by adding my own grated cheese and other fixings on the top. An easy dinner made in a single bowl using the preheated liquids.

I've never had success making hashbrowns. I love them from waffle house (FYI the ones they use are also dehydrated and come in a LARGE cardboard box. Idk who makes them.

I like instant mashed potatoes well enough but they just dont compare to taters mashed by hand.

I love the idahoan baby reds mashed potatoes. Leave out a little of the water or milk and add more butter.

x2 on the Idahoan instant mashed potatoes. I prefer the plain ones too, if I want them flavored I will do it myself. highdesertranger

B and C said:
and add more butter.
Because everything's better with butter. :D

XERTYX: You're a much more ambitious cook than I am, so I'm surprised you've had any difficulty with hashbrowns.
Maybe it's the directions?
I'd only made them once (maybe twice) before this thread, and it was the (accidental/lazy) discovery of the technique of no-stir for 4 minutes, that really pushed them over the top for me. :)

That 2 lb box of hashbrowns has arrived (general delivery, but via FedEx), so I'll definitely try them next week, and report back next time I'm in town. :)
The box is extremely close in size to a gallon jug of water, which is kewl. :)
Also bought 3 cans of Vienna Sausages, so will see if they go together.
Will also try VS with regular mashed potato flakes (what the Brits call "bangers & mash"). :)

Aww. I got street ..... net... cred for my cooking abilities. I am humbled. I love to cook. Every single time I have cooked with hashbrowns I have been disappointed. Be it frozen, refrigerated, or dehydrated I have always been tried and found wanting. I can make a ham and potato casserole though that tastes so good it'll make you wanna slap yo mama. Haha

Another weakness of mine is biscuits. I cant make biscuits to save my life. But I can make a 3 ingredient chocolate no bake cheese cake that folks rave over.

Maybe I'll try the no stir method. I've used griddles. I've used cast iron frying pans. I've used crock pots when I had a toaster oven fail. All are edible. But none have met my expectations.

My local stores have the hungry jack hashbrowns in multiple flavors for $0.99 usually. I think I can rub 4 quarters together no matter how broke I may be.

LOL!
Make It So! :)

I think your "problem" is that you're trying too hard.
Embrace the Lazy Force. :)

Also, don't guess, use a stopwatch (e.g. cell phone utility), but err on the high side.
It might help to make less.
I only make an ounce (pre-hydrated), in my regular one-person frypan (the only one I've ever posted pics of).
I use just enough oil to easily coat the pan (tilting to let it flow). Occasionally I do pour "too" much.

Again, I am a lazy cook, and tend to make mostly simple stuff. :)

P.S. That huge box I bought claims it has 50 servings. At a more realistic 33 servings, it works out to about 22 cents for the potatoes, plus whatever your fuel & oil costs are.
This is a very frugal meal enhancer. :)
Ditto for the "mashed" potatoes.
Big Thanks to "Cheli" for starting this! :)

I'll try it again soon. Tomorrow the plan is to make pizza. But not the Chicago style deep dish I posted pics of before in my thread. This time I plan to make a regular pizza. And to reserve some yeast from the packet to make my own bread. Why should colonial have a monopoly? Saccaro meyeces cerevasis (brewers yeast) and I have a long history.

My kid even once had a school report on microorganisms. He needed my help. It was my dumb luck he picked brewers yeast out of a hat. It was also my luck I had studied ancient Greek. Sugar Fungus Beer is the literal translation. SMC is a fungus that eats sugar to produce alchohol. His complete research was a drawing based on wikipedia from the cellular structure they had on file. I expanded on that considerably. Haha.

when making hash browns make sure you rinse all the starch out.

here watch this my favorite you tube chef making hash browns,

highdesertranger

XERTYX said:
Aww. I got street ..... net... cred for my cooking abilities. I am humbled. I love to cook. Every single time I have cooked with hashbrowns I have been disappointed. Be it frozen, refrigerated, or dehydrated I have always been tried and found wanting. I can make a ham and potato casserole though that tastes so good it'll make you wanna slap yo mama. Haha

Another weakness of mine is biscuits. I cant make biscuits to save my life. But I can make a 3 ingredient chocolate no bake cheese cake that folks rave over.

Maybe I'll try the no stir method. I've used griddles. I've used cast iron frying pans. I've used crock pots when I had a toaster oven fail. All are edible. But none have met my expectations.

My local stores have the hungry jack hashbrowns in multiple flavors for $0.99 usually. I think I can rub 4 quarters together no matter how broke I may be.
how to make perfect hashbrowns from Jenny Can Cook. She has lots of good recipes and cooking tips.

I watched both of those vids. Thanks for those. I think I like HDRs video best. 30 mins for hashbrowns is a little extreme. And hers looked too crisp for my liking.

I can see why you like that chef HDR hes a hoot. It's good to hear someone speak with an accent the same as you have. Reminds me of my home town. All the folks that live there now are from all over. My dialect is slowly dying off. And it makes me sad.

I do need to get me one of them Martian space helmets like he recommends. I didnt know clarified butter was that simple to make. Why does ghee cost like $16 a pound then?

yeah I really enjoy watching Ken. he has a lot of outdoor cooking videos for Dutch Ovens and BBQ. try a few more of his vids you will be hooked. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
yeah I really enjoy watching Ken.  he has a lot of outdoor cooking videos for Dutch Ovens and BBQ.  try a few more of his vids you will be hooked.  highdesertranger

I already am. It only took one more video. I subscribed. It was the fried okra and yellow squash video that done it.

Did a check of the Hash Browns at Costco. They were the Idaho Spuds brand 4.2oz box X 8 for $6.59.
The posted sign was funny as it said 'Golden Grill Russet Hash Browns 8/4.2 oz $6.59'
This was not a X off sale price
Checked the receipt and was charged the posted price for 'Hash Browns'.
Possible different areas of country might have different brands and slightly different prices.