Your thoughts on this 2002 Ford van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that suggestion, vanguy!

I remember the Ford mechanic saying the chain was fine, but I will have it and the phaser, guides and tensioner checked out when I go in for the spark plugs, and stick around so I can see for myself. I know using the right oil and filter help keep things happy.

Unfortunately, the provided records, but for two, were the seller's. I hope to track down the previous owner and see what he has or remembers.

I neither hear nor smell exhaust wheezes or feel anything amiss when driving, but I've not given it a decent road test yet. I am itching to get to it... 3 more days allotted to previous commitments, then I can go for a nice, long day drive. :) Yay!

Sassy

I have to laugh about my last post here.

Little did I know when I took my van in for the tune up and fluid changes that to get to the timing chain even just to visually examine it was a major deal and would have cost me an arm and a leg. So, no, that didn't get checked, nor any of its related parts. But all the mechanics have told me you can hear when a timing chain goes south and it doesn't happen very often on this engine and there's no warning sounds coming from this engine. Hope that means its good for a few more miles.

The #3 coil was cracked - that's the left one up where the little gizmo starts van cracked coil.jpg so I had that replaced, and the corresponding spark plug was discovered to be longer, and in an inset. van no. 3 plug.jpg We left the inset alone and replaced that plug with the same type.

I took a drive to the beach and back and all went very well. I felt like the engine didn't sound the same after having all the spark plugs replaced. I don't know if that's good or bad. I'm meeting with my mechanic. I guess I'll be one of those pretty much ignorant vehicle owners who drives her mechanic crazy but he seems to understand I'm trying to learn and is patient. :-/

Attachments

• van cracked coil.jpg
    van cracked coil.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 10
  • van no. 3 plug.jpg
    van no. 3 plug.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 12