your reviews of portable power stations and portable solar panels?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I have a 300w and a 500w Rockpals, both are over a year old, and I have been using both of them every day. From what I've seen, I think the Jackerys are built a bit sturdier than the Rockpals, but I have no complaints.

Camper said:
I'm not a negative person but I won't buy one unless the manufacturer states it in the ad.

I'll let ya know because I couldn't resist the 100 bucks off and got one... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

AuricTech wrote said:
"Three factors that led me to choose this particular power station were chemistry (unlike most such devices, the GOLABS uses an LiFePO4 battery, giving it a greater number of cycles), AC output (300W pure sine wave) and price (list price is $299.98, but Amazon had a digital coupon for $100 off*)."

Thanks for the head's up on it. The coupon was still at $100 and the reviews and specs looked good so I bought one.

Cheers!

AuricTech said:
I've been testing a GOLABS 299Wh power station. So far, I like it. Tomorrow, I plan to bring it down to about 50% depth of discharge, then see how long it takes my DOKIO 100W folding panel to recharge it.

Three factors that led me to choose this particular power station were chemistry (unlike most such devices, the GOLABS uses an LiFePO4 battery, giving it a greater number of cycles), AC output (300W pure sine wave) and price (list price is $299.98, but Amazon had a digital coupon for $100 off*).

*The digital coupon later dropped to $80 off, but I just checked, and it's back to $100 off.

ETA: If you buy it using the link I posted, this site gets a kickback.

Thank you. I will check it out.

I bought a 100 watt Renogy solar suitcase last year, and have had no problems with it.

Works just as advertised, folds compactly for storage.

I bought an extension cord for it to allow more flexibility in where I park vs where it must be places.

The GoLabs 299wh reviews on Amazon only go back 4 months, so a relatively new product.
Those that buy one please let us know how you like this system and the recharge times.
Lifepo4 are nice batteries if you can find them for a good price.

Bit larger than what you guys are discussing but I have had a goal zero yeti 1000 for four years and a yeti 3000 for two years with zero complaints.  I have run coffee makers, electric blankets, shop vacs, drill presses, laptops, etc. off of them, probably over 150 charge/discharge cycles

^^^ I too bought the 1000 Lithium version about a year ago. Also got the Alternator charge cable, 25 amp 120V charger and solar power poll adapter. I've done only 50 or so cycles to date but really like everything about it. It's my backup for my GC batteries and solar.

I have an Inergy Kodiak, which is an 1100 wh unit. I got it January 2018, and it has been an excellent unit. I currently have it in prepper mode at my sticks and bricks, but also powered my RV with it before I built out the power system.

For a 250-500 watt unit my choice would be Jackery. They have some genuine advantages, such as a regulated 12 volt output. Most other units, including my Kodiak, have an unregulated 12 volt that varies in voltage as the battery gets low.

WanderingRose said:
I bought a 100 watt Renogy solar suitcase last year, and have had no problems with it.

Works just as advertised, folds compactly for storage.

I bought an extension cord for it to allow more flexibility in where I park vs where it must be places.

Thank you!

barleyguy said:
I have an Inergy Kodiak, which is an 1100 wh unit. I got it January 2018, and it has been an excellent unit. I currently have it in prepper mode at my sticks and bricks, but also powered my RV with it before I built out the power system.

For a 250-500 watt unit my choice would be Jackery. They have some genuine advantages, such as a regulated 12 volt output. Most other units, including my Kodiak, have an unregulated 12 volt that varies in voltage as the battery gets low.

Thanks!

One more question...If I were to go to a campground and take advantage of their electricity, if I get the Bluetti or Jackery, can I plug either of those into their power using an extension cord? Do I use the 30w? Do I need a separate adapter? Do I need to use a surge protector?

Thanks.

I've never seen a campground power pedestal that didn't have standard 3-prong household outlets.

i have seen quiet a few that were wired wrong or didn't work and had to use a 30 amp plug adaptor, course i always stayed in the older less expensive parks.

We had a wise guy that used to come to the primitive camp ground and bring his own just to make people envy him! LOL!!! Made people think he was special and you know I do believe he was! LOL!!!

IGBT said:
Bit larger than what you guys are discussing but I have had a goal zero yeti 1000 for four years and a yeti 3000 for two years with zero complaints.  I have run coffee makers, electric blankets, shop vacs, drill presses, laptops, etc. off of them, probably over 150 charge/discharge cycles
As I understand it, these devices are a battery and a charge controller encased in plastic with some receptecles. They would be powered by a solar array in order to charge up. What array are you using?

If you already have battery and charge controller, solar panel and wired receptacles in the van, what is the point of having one of these portables?
-crofter

Most have a built in chargers both 120 volt AC and 12 volt DC as well as a solar controller I believe, so you have several options for charging the battery not just solar. They also have an inverter for a 120 volt AC outlet as well as 12 volt DC and USB power outlets. Basically an all in one rather expensive plug and play system.