You can now sleep in a vehicle in LA Calif

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
I just read that the courts have overturned the law in LA against people living in their vehicles. I am not sure if this will become a trend and we stealth-sleepers will be safe in other cities, other states. I can't find the place where I read it..sorry..I shut my browser down without getting the link.
I hope the law will be overturned in San Diego too where we stealth-slept for more years than I remember in vans, RVs and a huge converted school bus with a 20' green dragon on the side. We were only bothered by the law 3 times..but just harassed, not ticketed. It may have been too much..the dragon!
Then we got a big expensive RV, fell asleep in a beach parking lot and got a nearly $300 ticket. Our bad.
I hope the laws are going to change so that everyone living in a vehicle can feel safe from harassment, tickets and even jail.

Oz

Sure hope they change. Ticketing/harassing people who are simply existing in their space seems to bloody wrong.

I to sleep in my van but in Florida near the gulf ocean. But it's much much cheaper than California. I don't get bothered by police. Only by old people because they're lonely and all they want to do is talk talk talk, and talk talk some more.
Then they forget what they were talking about so they start over again. Oh well, life is hard as a vandwelling beach bum all I do is run from old people. But I to am getting old and they are starting to catch up to me.Lol

dragonflyinthesky said:
Oceanside, mind your manners, it may be me talking to you one day!
Dragonfly
That would be nice, maybe some day we might meet. But that's if I can remember by that time even my name.

The old law was badly written and thrown out for being unconstitutionally vague and open to interpretation. A simple re-write will make it legal again. I'd be surprised if they haven't already done so.
Bob

you got to remember that if the leos want to hassle you they are going to hassle no matter what law is or isn't on the books. highdesertranger

In 30 years of living in rigs all over the U.S. ..we avoided cities and were seldom hassled.
But in San Diego they'll hassle you 'just because' Long time ago, lived in a 32' red converted schoolbus..with a 20' dragon hand painted on the side and we were hassled everywhere in the San Diego area. Someone told us that it was the RED. Cops are drawn to red...like it's a fighting color..he said, 'paint the bus, leave the work of art on the side' So we painted the bus blue and lived in San Diego on the streets for years..no hassle. They just like to roust you and make you afraid.
The only ticket I ever got in my life was when we had a 2004 34' RV (in 2004) Got a $284 ticket. Now figure that one out.

Bob, I agree that the law re-write will happen.
highdesertranger: that is the truth. Oddly we were never hassled anywhere but San Diego..
Well, once in Reno, but that was a joke..she thought we were robbery suspects. In a 32' bus with a 20' green dragon on the side!
Oceanside: I lived in Florida for 6 years and wouldn't take money to go back there.
Don't p. on your elders, child..that's the Florida attitude. :)