San Diego crackdown on vehicle habitation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USExplorer

Reaction score
Hi, any other CRVL members in San Diego? The SDPD is really cracking down on their law against sleeping in vehicles, handing out tickets like candy at a parade. 52 bucks a pop. I parked on a beachfront road in Ocean Beach last night along with a dozen other vandwellers and we all got busted. 

I'm going to appeal it.

Attachments

• DSCF3890.JPG
    DSCF3890.JPG
    946.3 KB · Views: 89
For equal justice they should ticket people sleeping in their homes ........

Are there "No Habitation" sign clearly posted? (usually the sign says from 10pm to 6am) If no signs, take pic of the infraction spot and let the Judge decide. However if its been documented that the same exact vehicles are there 247 then I don't know. I'm sure neighboring homes probably document and called PD. The best way is to be stealthy as possible and move around. I know it labor intensive but its survival. This is my own opinion but sometime parking or overnight in a group is not to best idea. Some are loud and discharge human waste and when the home owners finally had it and called pd, everyone gets a ticket. I feel tho, ticket sucks man.

rvpopeye said:
For equal justice they should ticket people sleeping in their homes ........

They do, 365 nights a year; whether I sleep there or not.  AND I can't just move the house somewhere else.

They call it 'property tax'.

-- Spiff

I never really thought of property tax that way before... hmmm ;)

Still $52 for one night is a much higher rate than I pay, plus I deduct it from my federal taxes.

I worry about this kind of stuff, not so much for myself as for others. I mean for me, this will be a choice and I can afford to move around or pay to camp. But there are plenty of people who may not have too many other choices and this just feels like it is more about criminalizing poverty than anything else.

It's probably a newbie cop on the beat, most likely female, trying too hard. Over zealous, trigger happy youngsters can be annoying.  

Every now and then everyone on my street gets a ticket for some bs. Just have to fight them in court. 

I'm in San Diego now and have been for weeks. No problems at all.

I was in OB recently.

If you think you can fight it and win, more power to you........Otherwise, you gotta move

I wish I could find the article or information now but recently I came into the information about vehicle habitation. A law in some or other county in California had it's law overturned that made sleeping in a vehicle illegal because it discriminated against "homeless" or "impoverished" people that had no choice. Now I know most of us chose to live this life, but the law won't differentiate between those choosing to live in a vehicle and those who don't have a choice.

If I were you I'd see if I could find this case law and fight it in court. When something has prior case law in this regard you can often win it if you go prepared.

USExplorer said:
...I parked on a beachfront road in Ocean Beach last .....

Don't do that. Park where you're not so obvious and you'll be much less likely to get any flack.

Any beachfront home owner is going to complain to the cops about vehicle dwelling near their multimillion dollar homes. Move a few blocks inland, get there late, leave early, leave no signs you were ever there.

Thanks for the heads up, to the OP! I'm in Vegas for the next couple weeks, but was planning to go to Ocean Beach after. I thought that was the one neighborhood in San Diego that was vandwelling-friendly. Can't afford any tickets on my low income!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

frater secessus said:
According to this article, it's illegal to park an RV on the streets between 2a - 6a.

This kind of crap always boggles my mind. Seems so many Americans just can't be happy unless they can make other people miserable.

What the hell are these people supposed to do between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m., levitate?

Tom

Vagabound said:
This kind of crap always boggles my mind. Seems so many Americans just can't be happy unless they can make other people miserable.

What the hell are these people supposed to do between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m., levitate?

Tom

At 1:59 am parked in front of the house that called, start your rig and rev the hell out of it to warm it up, maybe make the car run a litte rich to cause some backfires, loosen the alternator belt so it screeches, then drive around the block for four hours every day between 2am and 6am just to piss off the person that called.  Soon as the clock hit 6am, park right smack in front of their house. Rinse and Repeat.  

I actually wouldn't do this because it wouldn't do anything positive for the van dweller's image, but it is fun to think about to release a little pent up anger.

Vagabound said:

Tom

All it takes is some a$$hole dumping his black tank to wreck it for everyone.  Most of these laws are a response to a real problem.

Every Road Leads Home said:
At 1:59 am parked in front of the house that called, start your rig and rev the hell out of it to warm it up, maybe make the car run a litte rich to cause some backfires, loosen the alternator belt so it screeches, then drive around the block for four hours every day between 2am and 6am just to piss off the person that called.  Soon as the clock hit 6am, park right smack in front of their house. Rinse and Repeat.  

You might be able to get away with that once.  More than once you will get nabbed.  After 9/11 and internet stalking there are a lot of new tools in an enterprising DA's toolbox to cause you a lot of grief.  And security cameras are cheap.  Not many things would get the 'No Overnight Parking' signs to go up faster.

-- Spiff