Good places in San Diego

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm visiting the San Diego area today for the first time...thanks for all the tips. Looks like Ocean Beach will be a good place to suit me for one night before heading east again.

TMG51 said:
Dang, it really has been two months today since I arrived in SD! Never expected to stay half this long but I've found the area very accommodating. If anyone is interested I can enumerate some of the choice parking I've found in my stay.

Hey dude, I'll be boondocking in my class b for a couple weeks and would love to get some suggestions on where to park my van at night. This is only my second time in San Diego so Im not too familiar with the area.

I am in San Diego - I don't see how there would be much of a problem at all sleeping in a van here - there are so many homeless here!!!
Seriously, thousands pop up tents and furniture on the sidewalks every evening and sleep - so I doubt that a person in a van would be bothered - unless a complaint was filed specifically against them.
There are open showers on beaches here and Mission Trails has great hiking trails.
There seems to always be a lot of campers on the beach at Silver Strand beach.

I believe that it is illegal to sleep in a vehicle in SD ... but what sense does that make when it is ok/acceptable to sleep in a large tent on the public sidewalk?
Maybe park and sleep on the sidewalk next to the RV is acceptable  :huh:

Politics. Think of how the headlines read.

"Police hassle homeless man on the street."

The guys in tents have little to nothing. As long as they don't set up near parks no one cares.

Us in vans, we have slightly more than nothing. Police will mostly just chase us away from the ritzy areas.

TMG51 said:
Dang, it really has been two months today since I arrived in SD! Never expected to stay half this long but I've found the area very accommodating. If anyone is interested I can enumerate some of the choice parking I've found in my stay.

I'm interested. Please share. Heading down there in a week.
thx!

I'll be in San Diego this weekend. There are so many people that park in the streets that you can blend in almost anywhere. Point Loma is one of my favorite spots. Beautiful area and quiet at night. I don't like parking by the beaches at night. Fist time I did I thought it was awesome to be 50 yards from the beach.. until I heard skateboarders and drunks all night.

On a side note the Harbor Town Pub has probably the best burger in San Diego.

TMG51 said:

TMG51, yes do tell. Thanks! I'm stealth BTW if that matters.