Hello! New and Need Advice for Van Dwelling in San Diego, CA

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haileigh

Reaction score
Hello! I am new here and am hoping to receive some advice for a potentially difficult situation.

I grew up in San Diego, CA, but I have always lived in a house, so I am completely unfamiliar with things like van living, stealth camping, and boondocking. My husband and I (with our 9-month-old son) have been evicted from our current living situation with my parents, and although my husband is employed full-time, his wage is not enough to cover the cost of living in San Diego. We have been living with my family rent-free and paying down debt (home is owned by my grandmother, and no one in it pays rent). We do, however, have enough in savings to buy either an Astro Van (much cheaper but also smaller option) or a full size cargo or passenger van. Because we have a baby, we plan for this to be temporary, but we will likely be van dwelling in San Diego for at least 4 months or so, so that my husband can continue working at his current job and saving money to move elsewhere (out of state). 

I have read that San Diego is a very difficult place to van/car/vehicle dwell, and I worry about being approached by law enforcement, given that most average people view vehicle dwelling as unsuitable for a child. We will absolutely be able to continue to feed, clothe, and care for my son in a van, so please reserve judgement. The living situation with my family has actually prepared us well for vehicle dwelling because the house has been so neglected that we have gone long periods of time without access to water, electricity, and a kitchen (we are actually being evicted for attempting to fix these things  :huh: ). We have found ways to make it completely unnoticeable that we are living in this situation, so I am confident that we can do the same in a van, at least when it comes to judgment in public. The only thing that worries me is law enforcement. My questions are:

-What are some of the best spots to sleep in your vehicle in San Diego? My husband works in East County, but we are obviously willing to drive to the coast if that is safer. We can also drive farther out east if that is safer. None of the Wal Marts here allow overnight parking, so that is not an option. Can anyone recommend any rest stops or truck stops in the area?

-If approached by law enforcement, aside from being polite and cooperative, what are the best ways to explain why we're sleeping in a van? We can't claim that we're traveling because we both have California IDs and will have California registration. Do we admit to living in the van, or do we come up with some kind of excuse?

-Last question: Is this simply too risky in San Diego? Our only other option is to travel in the van, with close to no money left in savings after buying it, to another state where van dwelling is safer. My husband would be forced to leave his job and find one in that state, and we would not have a permanent address to put on job applications. However, this would allow us to use the excuse of traveling when approached by law enforcement. 

Ultimately, our first priority is keeping our son safe and with us. I cannot imagine having to deal with CPS if police decided to get them involved. I am open to all advice and would appreciate restraint from criticism (trust me, I beat myself up about this constantly). Please let me know if any more information that I didn't include would help. Thank you!

I can't answer your questions, but welcome to the forum.

Someone will help...

Riverman said:
I can't answer your questions, but welcome to the forum.  

Someone will help...

Thank you! Question: Am I allowed to post this same post in another section of the site?

Try posting something in the women's forum.
There are quite a few very experienced and knowledgeable women on here that can probably offer up some good ideas.

Couple thoughts that come to mind
1. Find a live in job/ custodial house sit maybe
2. Camp out in BLM or forest service during the week or weekend.
3. Check on YouTube adventure van man, will prowse, etc who have boondock in san Diego. Ideally someone could pm info instead of posting it up on here.
4. Post on Craig's housing wanted. Explain your situation and see what comes up. Shared accommodation, might find something affordable. Expand your search location.
5. No idea on the local shelters, food bank potential.
6. Boondock in the yard, acceptable compromise.
7. Keep looking, searching, trying for solutions. Challenging with a child but you have no choice. Might have to spend time apart temporarily with the hubby till you get better setup. 
8. Don't give up the job and secure income. Priority#1.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for your advice. I will definitely post this in the women’s forum as well. We have looked into endless housing “options” that we simply can’t afford. Unfortunately, most people also do not want to rent out anything small and affordable to a family. However, I will not stop searching. I have watched a lot of both of those YouTubers and more. They definitely help. Thanks again!

That's what I meant about apart from the hubby. Split up your housing search (solo accommodation and woman child) might give you a better chance to find something. 

Woman and child might be tough but you might find something by posting on Craigslist housing wanted, might find a compassionate soul for you and the child while hubby boondocks/lives elsewhere. 

Boondocking on the streets in a major city with a child is asking for trouble.

Be creative and flexible with your options. Shift work so only one is home at a time to care for the child is an idea. At their home baby sitting. Tough but there are no easy answers. You have to do what you can find and make it work.

And or seek a continuance at home till you find something. Promise to be gone or away in the mean time, only there to sleep. Be active and proactive. 

Not normal to be kicked out in this situation and we don't know all of your facts.
You are the only one who can find your answers for you really.
Persistence and perseverance. You have a child counting on you to succeed.

Minivanmotoman said:
That's what I meant about apart from the hubby. Split up might give you a better chance to find something. 

Woman and child might be tough but you might find something by posting on Craigslist housing wantedw might find a compassionate soul for you and the child while hubby boondocks elsewhere. Boondocking on the streets in a major city with a child is asking for trouble.

Be creative and flexible with your options.
And or seek a continuance at home till you find something. Promise to be gone or away in the mean time, only there to sleep. Be active and proactive. 
Not normal to be kicked out in this situation and we don't know all of your facts.
You are the only one who can find your answers for you really.
Persistence and perseverance.
You're absolutely right, and we are considering living separately. Thank you for all of your advice.  :blush:

What kind of work does your hubby do? If you don't mind me asking. The economy is booming in Texas and "way" less taxes/ cost of living etc.
David

RepublicOfTXPatriot said:
What kind of work does your hubby do? If you don't mind me asking. The economy is booming in Texas and "way" less taxes/ cost of living etc.
David

He works in HVAC supply sales, so his company sells parts to HVAC installation and repair companies. He makes almost $5 above the minimum wage, but that is still nowhere near what it would cost us to live here and continue to pay our bills. We have looked into Alabama (where his family is, and Oregon (a dream state for both of us). Is Texas fairly similar to the cost in Alabama, do you know? That would be a shorter drive.