You are all gonna die!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hartavor

Reaction score
since everyone eventually croaks, and from what I see most nomad types are old what special plans do nomads need to have for burials.. This might be a good topic for Bob Wells to speak about.

I had to laugh because I had a friend whose wife bought burial insurance upon which he asked her “You ever in your whole life seen someone dead on the side of the road? I’ve seen all sorts of animals but never a person, someone is going to bury you but if you don’t stop payments on that insurance I may leave you on the side of the road!” I’m a veteran so I have an option but I plan to be cremated as my wife wants to have my ashes made into a diamond and mounted in a ring so she can continue to have me wrapped around her little finger. The left overs will be spread in all the places you are not suppose to do so, one last act of defiance. A will is easy to do but I hope I will have given most material things of value away by then and if not why would I care? A hand written note from the deceased owner and title in the glove box was all I needed to get a title and registration in Arizona when I received a vehicle through a death but that may have changed.

I'm no fool... gonna live to 103! Back in the days when disney mattered.

Not only do you need to plan for this day, if you are a nomad you must also concern yourself with how your wishes will be carried out. You will need to have these instructions in a safe place but also someplace where the police can find them. Now you have been a good person and have set aside the $6-8,000 you need for a cremation. How will these funds be accessed? Do you have an attorney or relative you have set up to take care of these things? If you don't have anyone, it will have to go to the courts to decide what happens. An attorney will be appointed by the court, but he will want paid. Legal documents will need to be drafted to access the funds you set aside. By the time you finish with the legal fees, you may not have enough to cremate you so you will get a state paid funeral.

If I die here at home, cremation and throw me to the wind or whatever/wherever the son wants to do with me (flush?). Dunno and don't care.

Hopefully I die out in nature. If the wildlife feeds on my remains, that is ok too.

B and C said:
Hopefully I die out in nature. If the wildlife feeds on my remains, that is ok too.

Yup. And if I don't die out in nature, haul me out to the desert or forest or wherever and dump me there.

i thought Bob had put out a video on the subject, but can't find it.

You can prepay for your cremation and take the burden off family. I keep meaning to do that.....

I have a graveyard on my property so my ashes can go there. Family will stick me in the ground.

I put in the graveyard because I didn’t like the rules of the commercial boneyards - no pets. I’ll be surrounded by my passed pets in my own boneyard.

Wow hartavor, great first post.

I've prepaid my $600.00 to be burnt and another $300 for a wood box to keep them in. (Many states don't allow a plastic bag).

If I die out of state, there is a matter of transportation that needs addressed. Possibly VA will cough up the $ but I'm not concerned with that part. Airlines used to ship for free. All family knows my wishes and I have it in a legal doc.

Second question is to when..... So my best all-around option is option is some single malt scotch, a large forest and one 45 round. That makes the most sense. A heart attack, covid required me buying a house so wanted paperwork for the right people to have easy access to the leftovers.

Damn, really that's your first post? :s

Welcome to the CRVL forums hartavor! There are insurance policies for travelers that cover cremation or embalming and then shipping to your home address or local funeral home for burial. Problem is most of us don't really have a home address.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

The fauna's gotta eat, so when boondocking no burial/cremation plan necessary. Let nature take its course. Just practice clean eating; don't give them a junk-food filled corpse!

If you see the reaper in the mirror, floor it til you get to Washington State.

The first and maybe the only State to allow you to be turned into compost.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/composting-human-bodies-now-legal-washington-state-n1008606

I had at one time thought about a small family plot with a sapling going in with the first interred. I figured it would be a play on the family tree with all the bodies providing nutrients for the the tree and a way for everyone to be together. The living could also use that as a picnic area for reunions and include the past with the present.

Memorial trinkets could be placed on the branches and such.  It was a nice thought til I realized how troublesome most of the family members are and I really can't get far enough away from many of them.

There are a lot of people donating their bodies to medical schools these days.   After they are done with them then
they dispose of the body at their cost. 

My grand parents Lawyer explained to them that that was what he was going to do and he was well off.   But he thought it was something he could give back to the world as his soul was on the way out.  He was a WW2 Vet, a Marine, had spent his life at Law.  By the 1960's he was a Judge.   He saw a lot of old Prisoners doing this he told them as they had no family at that point and wanted to do something to atone for their misdeeds and that was about all they could do.

It is an option if the schools have not met the body quota. If they have their requirements met, the family will be responsible for final final disposition. At least that is the way hospice explained it to me.

eDJ_ said:
There are a lot of people donating their bodies to medical schools these days.   After they are done with them then

My grand parents Lawyer explained to them that that was what he was going to do and he was well off.   But he thought it was something he could give back to the world as his soul was on the way out.  He was a WW2 Vet, a Marine, had spent his life at Law.  By the 1960's he was a Judge.   He saw a lot of old Prisoners doing this he told them as they had no family at that point and wanted to do something to atone for their misdeeds and that was about all they could do.
Boy Howdy.. things have changed quite a bit it seems. I often hear about how donated to science bodies end up being mutilated, desecrated, and treated as garbage.
https://time.com/5636486/fbi-body-donation-arizona/
https://www.insideedition.com/insid...saw-donated-remains-horribly-mistreated-51495
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ankenstein-donation-center-fbi-found-n1035131

"When authorities shut down Gore's facility, they say they found coolers packed with 10 tons' worth of human remains."
"While organ donation is regulated by the US Department of Health and Human Services, body donation remains unregulated ."
"buckets and coolers with various body parts, including a bucket of heads, arms and legs" were also absent of identification, as were body parts strewn in freezers."
"A cooler he saw was filled with male genitalia,"
“Some funeral home directors are saying, ‘Cremation isn’t paying the bills anymore, so let me see if I can help people harvest body parts.’

Edited by moderator to remove misleading information.

Just roll me into the forest fauna to feed the worms. I'll already be half-composted anyway by the time anyone finds me. Unlike many here, I have done volunteer work with folks who respond to dead bodies. Ever had to assist with a body left in a vehicle for 4 days? Ever had to clean up that kinda mess? Trust me,...just torch it and call it a Viking send off or whatever. Take the charred remains and dump that in some swamp and let nature reclaim. Scrap and recycle the vehicle.

IMO planning to die in the wild is just leaving a mess for someone else to clean up; no different than leaving a mess when breaking camp.

I had the job of removing a vehicle when I was driving a tow truck.  The process of removing a body was neither simple nor cheap.  
Law enforcement was called in and the sight was treated as a crime scene until the coroner ruled natural death or suicide.  
I had to move the vehicle so that the body could be removed after the coroner was done.  Then remove the (very gross smelling) vehicle to a holding yard.  
It had to be held until the next of kin were notified and decided disposition or a court ruled on how the vehicle and contents would be handled (believe me, NO one wants anything - the decayed body smell permeates everything).

If it was determined that a large predator was feeding on the body a concerted effort was made to track down and destroy the animal.

eDJ_ said:
Interesting, medical school huh! I have no family and no one really but that is the truth. Once you die and you have no one to leave your body to why care? I have one relative but I doubt she will even reclaim my body, seriously! I hope I die somewhere in the mountains and thats that, let the State or officials take care of it once they find me, I'm dead! Finito! Finished! Kaputz! El fin-O, end-O, gone, bye bye..! Hahahahahahahahaha hehehehehehehehe hohohohohoh hahahahahahaa! BUT! But if I find a lover "female" then she gets all my things and by then "IF" she stays with me and TRULY TRULY know shes the heart of my life then I'd buy a funeral arrangement.