Yeti like and portable ice maker?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRACIAJ

Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone tried using or has any thoughts on the following setup?

I have an RTIC 45 ice chest and was thinking on getting one of those portable ice makers that cost about 90 bucks.

Considering I already got the Yeti like cooler and being very good on keeping the ice was thinking on getting the ice maker instead of a 12V ARB or so fridge.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Also, I'm thinking on storing the ice in ziplock bagd for preventing things getting wet inside the cooler.

Those ice makers use a lot of power from what I know. So after you factor in cost of power needs (generator and fuel) and what not it's just easier and more economical to go with the 12V ARB or similar.

The last countertop ice maker I looked at was rated 186 Watts and froze a tiny bit more than one pound per hour. Twenty amps into an inverter (240 Watts) for 1 hour is 20 Amp hours per day to get one pound of ice per day. That's about the same as a 12 Volt (expensive) fridge. The advantage is that it can be run during the day with no overnight battery requirement. To make it work your Rtic has to be well enough insulated to get by with one pound per day.

couple of things,
how are you going to power the ice maker?
where are you going to get the water?
if you are going off road zip lock bags will not seal the ice, Tupperware will not either. sooner or later you will have food contaminated with water. it's no fun pulling into camp only to discover soggy food. highdesertranger

The only ice I will be making is on my frozen food. My beer is best at room Temp and drink my whisky straight.

all good points, thanks for the input.
it would be solar powered (having 200w in panels).
In regard to water would recycle the same water by re freezing it, or saving into a general use 6 gallon water tank.
ziplocks might not be the best option, so exploring on alternatives.
I do really enjoy ice on my drinks, and already have the rtic.
Your feedback is helping me things to consider. Also wondering if anyone has done this setup.

Those ice makers make "soft" ice barely below freezing, not the "hard" ice you buy at the store. So you need to make more ice compared to what you would buy from the store.

I have one of the table top ice makers & like it. When I first saw it I thought it was a gimmick but after a day I was sold on it. I put a Kill-a-watt meter on it & it used 1.3kw in 24 hours.
I have run it on my single 100w solar panel (two 122ah batteries) via a 700w inverter, but the ice maker did not run 'smooth' like it does on shore power, it actually vibrated a little. I'll need a pure sine wave inverter if i want to do that again

The ice it makes is hollow. There are metal rods that sit in the water & ice forms around the rods, that ice is deposited in a basket & you take it from there. These are not the solid ice cubes you're used to but they are usable ice cubes.
I had ice cold drinks all summer here in Georgia, this thing really works.

Whether it can work and whether it is the most efficient way of keeping things cold are not the same thing.

My fridge can make ice, And I bet it can also keep everything safer and colder for less electrical consumption to make soft ice, only to melt it.

Everyone always seeks to find a cheaper option for preserving food.

One must balance the initial cost vs long term cost, vs how long and how often their food preservation method needs to be powered.

Those wanting to do so indefinitely but generally long term, are best served by a 12v compressor fridge and enough charging sources to keep a battery relatively happy.

Also factor in the pain in the ass process of draining, perhaps recovering/ stinky cooler water, when instead one can open a door/lid and have dry possibly zip lock free food below 40F, and an ice tray above it.

YOu can certainly try the Ice maker, but you will be expending tome and effort of movng ice to your RTic, and draining water, and possibly dealing with contaminated water next to 44 degree food.

When i did th ecooler thing, andwould open the lid and shoot my IR temp gun around on the walls and food, much of the interior was well above 40F.

Shooting the same gun in my fridge right now reveals nothing above 35.5f, and I have a zip lock baggie filled with ice and two filled ice trays in my freezer compartment.

When my first fridge failed at 5 years of use, I had about 3 weeks of down time before getting another, and went back to the cooler. Even disregarding the issue of getting ice, going back to storing food in a cooler simply sucks in comparison.

To those who have never dwelled with anything but a cooler, Ignorance is Bliss. Those of us with 12v DC compressor fridges, have nightmares about coolers filled with ice, and wake up relieved.

"My fridge can make ice, And I bet it can also keep everything safer and colder for less electrical consumption to make soft ice, only to melt it."

Yeah. The energy required to freeze something would be greater than the energy needed to keep something cool. This is like the guy a while back who bought a freezer for his van in order to make ice for his cooler instead of just raising the temperature on the freezer and keeping his food in it.

all great feedback... based on all inputs seems like should bite the bullet and get a 12v fridge...

SternWake said:
Those of us with 12v DC compressor fridges, have nightmares about coolers filled with ice, and wake up relieved.

The 12vdc fridge is the way to go, the table top ice maker is so you can tinkle the ice in your glass of ice water (works for me!). If you're really sold on coolers then turn your fridge into a freezer & freeze 2L bottles of water for cooler ice & keep the freezer for ice cream & frozen steaks.