WTH?!?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle (GMC Gypsy)

Reaction score
My drill/driver arrived yesterday and I started the hardcore tear-down today. I found what you see in the pic below. That, my friends, is a cabinet door hinge being used as a bracket.  :huh:

Attachments

• P1000140.JPG
    P1000140.JPG
    173.7 KB
Ha, you might be like me and find all kinds of nasty things during the tear down stage!

Mice bodies, their homes and their winter stash of food were amongst the treasures I found.

Well, that and a 5 gallon bucket full of overly long screws and bolts by the time I had it all apart.

Good luck and my sympathy!!

People often use what they have handy.   Prior owner needed a bracket, did not or could not go to town to buy one, so scrounged from their junk bin.

Yesterday I used 4 gate hinges to mount my microwave to it's shelf.

When you're out in the boonies and need to fix/build something YOU"RE the hardware store.
EX:
I did a lot of that stuff when I was living in Death Valley and the nearest hardware was in Pahrump !

My BIL once used a $6 pair of vice grips to replace a $2 battery connecter.Used it that way for years.

Bob , I used that trick too....

One time I replaced a stripped hold down bolt on a set of distributor points with a drop of Super Glue Gel , on the side of a highway in pouring rain , of course . I just eyeballed the gap and held it for a couple of minutes,,,it lasted for 200 miles and it would have stayed too but I decided I had to break it loose to re tap for a new bolt.

This was on my first camper. A 1969 Dodge Sweptline 1/2 ton PU with my homemade camper  the engine was a 318 with 240 heads , I just couldn't kill that thing !
I was sitting on the wheel well with my feet on the frame and the hood pulled down part way as my umbrella!  When the body got too rusty , I bought another one ! $600
Saved the 198 slant 6 and put the 318 in it ..............

Almost There said:
Well, that and a 5 gallon bucket full of overly long screws and bolts by the time I had it all apart.

Good luck and my sympathy!!

Lol! I was looking at my little plastic food storage container that is already full of hardware and thinking I need to get something bigger.

And thanks for the sympathy.  ;)

Michelle (GMC Gypsy) said:
Lol! I was looking at my little plastic food storage container that is already full of hardware and thinking I need to get something bigger.

And thanks for the sympathy.  ;)

The little container is useful to hold the immediate removal pending dumping it in the big bucket.

I also found that having a couple of little containers nearby stopped me from throwing the damn things in frustration.

If you don't already, you may as well just buy a complete set of each kind and size of screwdriver and a set of hex head sockets as well! If it's anything like my gut job from hell, you'll find 3 different sizes of Phillips and in my case since it was Canadian, 3 different sizes of Robertson heads as well.

Oh, and sort out anything that you think might be of use down the road and set it aside. Once it's in the big bucket, it may as well be gone forever because you'll rather buy new than go through that pile of crap to find that one small object that you knew you threw in there...BTDT!

It took me 30 hours (I clocked it) over the course of several weekends to gut Lady Arabella, hopefully yours will go quicker!!

Almost There said:
It took me 30 hours (I clocked it) over the course of several weekends to gut Lady Arabella, hopefully yours will go quicker!!

Yeah, but now you are so glad you did!!  
heart.gif
biggrin.gif

Bob

Almost There said:
If you don't already, you may as well just buy a complete set of each kind and size of screwdriver and a set of hex head sockets as well! If it's anything like my gut job from hell, you'll find 3 different sizes of Phillips and in my case since it was Canadian, 3 different sizes of Robertson heads as well.

When I ordered the drill I also order a set of screw heads and bits in different sizes.  :D

I doubt mine is going to go quicker, I didn't do squat today.  :blush:

Michelle (GMC Gypsy) said:
When I ordered the drill I also order a set of screw heads and bits in different sizes.  :D

I doubt mine is going to go quicker, I didn't do squat today.  :blush:

I'm not so sure you didn't do squat today, Somehow I think you gave it a lot of thought. Just as important. :p

Nicole