would it fit?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
searching on an auction site and found this little number.

https://www.copart.com/lot/55046360/Photos/clean-title-1991-gmc-rally-wagon-van-g2500-nv-reno

the auction ends in 4 days... no bids with a min of 350 to start. 
I am interested in the topper. Ive got the same year and  make... the auction is for a 2500 and ive got 3500.  Do you think the topper would fit for me ??

If so, I could buy .. and find some place to hold it for me til spring??... I guess I am not too far from Reno... but really don't want to drive my van from the Idaho panhandle right now..
hmmm

It should, no difference between the 2500 and 3500 hundred bodies, as long as the vans are the same length.
Great deal if you got it for $350, a topper and a spare van, certainly you could harvest other parts from it.

sll kinds of bits and pieces to glean from that...it was mentioned by a pally that i fo indeed have an xtnded rig and that appears to be standard...and im only 12 hours away.. be there to have breakfast in reno... would have been a nice xmas gift to myself

yep just as long as they are both the same length like Todo said. lots of good parts there. highdesertranger

Even if your van is extended, the other vans shorter high top will fit just fine, just won't be as long on your van.
Which could be nice as it gives you some room to adjust it front to back and have some original flat roof for mounting stuff.
I really dig my high top, over the driver/passenger seat is a nice alcove.
Oh yeah, the headroom is a plus too

:thumbsup:

Im confused.. I've got different answers here...lol

so the shorter lenght high top would be ok on the longer body?

I would just move the topper to the rear?..and have standard height over the driver/ passenger?
Or the opposite?

Ive read that when putting a topper on to get that which is made for the vehicle... has that more to do because of the width?

Yeah, they are vehicle specific buying new, so I would definitely look for one on the same model/generation of van as yours.
While I can't say 100%, I don't see why a shorter high top wouldn't fit an extended van. Although looking again at the pics the way it sits on the roof may require the front or back to be trimmed a little to fit in the middle if you see what I'm getting it.
Above the rain gutter around the van curves up to the flat part, where it looks like the high top sits over this and close to the gutter, so putting it on a shorter van, pending if you mounted it rearward or forward, you'd have to trim the back edge or front edge to match the roof profile.
It may fit fine, but may need a little modding. May be worth the effort if you're looking for a high top, far and few between are the extended ones.

"so the shorter lenght high top would be ok on the longer body?"

not without a ton of work. you want one for your exact model. if you have a long bed get one for a long bed. it would be easier to make a short bed fit a long bed but you would cut the top in half and splice in the extra fiberglass. that's a lot of work.

you just can't end up where ever because of the contours of the front and backare different. the same reason you can't turn one around and mount it backwards the front and the back are not the same and the middle is not the same as the front or back. trust me I have installed high tops get one made for your model van.

highdesertranger

Thanks HDR .

Im definitely not looking to turn a molehill into a mountain.. especially for my current rig..

ill keep my eyes open and see what comes along.

ill be sending u a pm and an offer for hire if/when i find one.
Now that I know you're more than qualified to help install..:))

highdesertranger said:
...and the middle is not the same as the front or back.

Right. If you look at the photo, the front end follows the windshield's top curve. Looking from the front, it's almost flat. From the top it would curve forward in the middle. But the roof cross section a couple of feet back, where you'd try to fit it on an extended van, curves down on each side.

Latest posts